Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SolarEdge Inverter SetApp vs screen - do consumers still get access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge Inverter SetApp vs screen - do consumers still get access?

I had a SolarEdge install in January 2018 with an HDWave 7600 inverter which failed earlier this month. For those that are interested it just stopped producing one day and gave this error code when I pushed the buttons on the inverter, HW Error 18xB7. FWIW on a different forum users claim that this error indicates a failed capacitor and its location on the Inverter board.

My installer came out and poked at it, spoke with SolarEdge and told me I'd be getting a new inverter under warranty. I've since googled a bit and found that SolarEdge has moved away from the LCD screens and now uses something called 'SetApp' for installers to use on their phone to configure and activate a new inverter.

As probably a lot of owners on this site I know a lot more than most PV system owners about solar technology as it existed when I purchased my system but have had no reason to keep up with things since then. When I got my system I made sure I had the installer give me the highest level of access in the monitoring app and because I wanted more detailed data than I was getting from the cellular system in the inverter I rigged ethernet up and used the buttons/display to change the inverter's settings to have a fixed IP on my local network and to connect with ethernet rather than cellular. It was all straight forward using their published documentation.

My search didn't turn up much about the new app but I'm gathering since installers use it to commission and decomission inverters that as the consumer I won't have access. Is that right? If so, if I hypothetically had the installer configure the system to use ethernet with a fixed IP and then wanted to change that IP address how would that happen? Seems a pretty basic request that will happen in their user base on a regular basis that shouldn't require the installer to be involved. If my installer insists on configuring it back to cellular will I be able to reconfigure it to ethernet myself?

Can someone clarify what access I can expect with the new HDWave inverter?

Thanks.

Mine failed with a similar error code a little over a year from first commissioning. I liked the display better as it was easier to check on it vs joining the local wifi with the app. So yes, you can use the setapp if you have the access given to you - I have site admin but not sure that level is needed. I also noticed that this new inverter (10000HD) runs a bit hotter than the original HD Wave - unofficial laying on of the hands test. I was down a little over three weeks - kinda blows my net-zero for the year and an early disappointment with the system. I would have thought that they would have some form of spare supply for RMA's instead of you have to wait two weeks for one to be made line. Lets hope going forward SolarEdge's use of us as beta testers will bring a better product with this new inverter. "They" said they had a lot of failures and this one had certain internal "fixes". BTW - I've always used dynamic IP and recommend such unless you have to have a static. I'm a network guy and really hate static IPs with a passion especially when you do a network transformation and have 8,500 sites globally with static IPs and who knows what stupidity built off of them (rant over LOL)

I'm still a fan of SolarEdge but a bit less enthusiastic one now. I'll get over it!
    Last edited by frankge; 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I'll still have the needed access which is good news. My installer expects the new part early next week and I'm on their calendar for a Wednesday visit which will put me at 22 days of downtime and about two weeks from RMA to get the replacement part. Will definitely impact my year end true-up but thankfully in San Diego I got some free credit for owning an electric car which I expect will absorb the hit.

I hesitate to add this since this forum had the most accurate information on solar and probably still does but I haven't seen anyone here express what is discussed elsewhere-that SolarEdge had a supplier of capacitors that they used in the HDWave units that failed at abnormally high rates and have since switched suppliers and expect the problem to go away.

For those researching before purchase I'll note that two years ago when I did the same Enphase had recently replaced a micro inverter model that also had an abnormally high failure rate and is one of the many reasons I chose SolarEdge. The trade off I see is microinverter failure is partial but you need to get on the roof and perhaps pull panels to get to it to replace while inverter failure is 100% but easily accessible and replaceable. For a warranty repair I'd rather have a microinverter and for a DIY repair I'd rather have an inverter. Personally planing in the future to replace an inverter and perhaps getting a battery or a solar powered outlet in my next unit still keeps me happy with my choice.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X