Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MODBUS on 400AMP service

Hello,

My home has two 200 AMP panels for a total of 400 amps. I have a 10.2 kWp system with the 10000 watt Solar Edge inverter. I was looking at the monitoring options and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I would need one of these devices for each 200 amp panel? If I needed two of them do they consolidate data from both?

Thanks

Welcome Crankster64 ! Congrats on your new system,

What do you want to monitor? Production or Consumption?

I assume you've seen the SE Monitoring portal by now, so you're probably asking about consumption monitoring.

There are several possible solutions from Solar Edge integrated to many 3rd part offerings. All of these make use of CT's on your hot legs to monitor power consumption.

Are your two 200amp panels fed from the same PoCo meter? Or do you have separate meters?

Ideally, assuming both panels are fed from the same meter, you'd want to install the CT's between the meter and where the feeder line splits (two service the separate breaker panels) to monitor your whole home consumption. If this is the case you could use the SE solution which communicates via RG485 to the Inverter. The inverter then uploads the consumption data, along with the production data, to the SE monitoring portal (ideally by Ethernet or Ethernet to Wifi bridge).

IF you have two PoCo meters, or you cannot access the feed before it splits off to each panel. Then you would need to use two separate 3rd part solutions and monitor each breaker panel separately. I do not believe this can be done with the SE solution as I do not believe a single inverter can take more than one such monitoring device.

BUT, if you go on Amazon, for example, and search for "Energy Monitor" or something similar you'll fine 3rd party solutions from Sense, Efergy, and others. Check the interwebs for reviews.

-Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to see what I'm using against what I'm producing. Here are some answers to your questions.

My home has one NET meter installed outside. I cannot see the main wires that lead into my house and panels. They go directly into the wall behind the meter I presume.

I just puled the circuit breaker covers and each have two large black wires feeding into the 200 amp breakers. The panel to the left has red and black smaller cables taped directly into the two large black cables coming from the meter. I presume this is how the solar produced power back feeds into my system.

Hank
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Crankster64; 08-05-2019, 05:24 PM. Reason: Added link to photo

Comment

Originally posted by Crankster64 View Post
        Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to see what I'm using against what I'm producing. Here are some answers to your questions.

My home has one NET meter installed outside. I cannot see the main wires that lead into my house and panels. They go directly into the wall behind the meter I presume.

I just puled the circuit breaker covers and each have two large black wires feeding into the 200 amp breakers. The panel to the left has red and black smaller cables taped directly into the two large black cables coming from the meter. I presume this is how the solar produced power back feeds into my system.

Hank
        Hi, did you find the answer to your install? I am facing the same issue and wanted to see if you found a solution. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X