Any 3rd-party software that will work with SunPower's PVS6?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSchnee21
    replied
    Well, the IQ micros "communicate" with the Envoy over proprietary higher frequency RF whose data stream is encoded onto the AC power line output sine wave. So there is no physical connection between the micros and the Envoy per se other than that the share the same AC power line (and are connected through the breaker panel). SolarEdge does something similar on the DC line which gives them a more direct and somewhat cleaner connection between the Optimizers and the Inverter.

I suspect you can just use the Envoy in parallel. There should be no need for installation. Just plug it into your AC and Ethernet. Now getting you're system registered in the Envoy web portal with Enphase may be another matter.

SunPower is just blowing smoke in their response to you re: 2014. What they are saying is that they didn't like all of the customer questions / complaints from informed consumers (-:

Leave a comment:

• NochiLife
    replied
    lfrussell I don't see how they can be "hiding" information if it doesn't exist anywhere. If there are no connections between each and every IQ7 inverter AND your PVS6, how in the world is the PVS6 going to get the "per panel" info????

From the spec sheet, I do see that it has two current sense transformer inputs to measure output power, but that in no way gives details for anything other than the total output.
    Last edited by NochiLife; 07-18-2019, 08:39 PM. Reason: add blurb about current sense transformers.

Leave a comment:

• lfrussell
    replied
    "Turn it off and use an Envoy instead? Or does SunPower require the PVS6 data for warranty purposes? You may be able to use both in parallel."

Considering that. Just don't feel like shelling out another $600 for an Envoy and then installation costs.

"That being said, I took a look online at the PVS6's installation manual, and I don't see where it has any ability to interface to Enphase IQ7 micro inverters. For that matter, the IQ7s REQUIRE the Envoy for readout info (which should be able to give per-panel numbers)."

Yeah, the Enphase micro inverters on the SunPower panels is fairly new. The installer actually started to sell me the X22-370-D-AC, which still has a SunPower micro inverter. The 'E' series has a "SunPower" brand on it, but the model is IQ7 (I did not want to install panels unless they had the Enphase unit). With that said, these panels are working with the PVS6, it's just that SunPower is actually hiding the per-panel information.

From a chat session with SunPower...

"We retired inverter level monitoring in 2014 because we determined, after lengthy evaluation, that feature offers more information than is necessary to monitor ongoing system performance, but not enough information to help identify problems (on the rare occasions when they do occur). We also had concerns about the feature's design, in part due to negative feedback from customers."

However, they still provide this information to partners/installers? Which means they have to maintain two separate sites (maybe minimal overhead, but still?).

Putting in a parallel monitoring capability with the Envoy may be "unavoidable" if I really want to see how each panel is performing.

Leave a comment:

• NochiLife
    replied
    I'm not at all familiar with this system, but I'm no stranger to hacking things to do what I paid for them to do . That being said, I took a look online at the PVS6's installation manual, and I don't see where it has any ability to interface to Enphase IQ7 micro inverters. For that matter, the IQ7s REQUIRE the Envoy for readout info (which should be able to give per-panel numbers).
    As far as the PVS6, the only inverters mentioned in it's manual are the SMA US-22 and US-40, neither of which will be able to give you per-panel info. While I don't know your system setup, I'm reasonably certain that there is no connection between the IQ7s and the PVS6.

Further down on the second page of the PVS6's manual, they show you how to connect the PVS6 to a laptop/computer via Ethernet cable, and log into it directly. But it's extremely unlikely that the info will be there. (Make that completely unlikely...)

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    Turn it off and use an Envoy instead? Or does SunPower require the PVS6 data for warranty purposes? You may be able to use both in parallel.

Leave a comment:

• Any 3rd-party software that will work with SunPower's PVS6?

I just had SunPower's X22-370-E-AC panels installed, which have the Enphase IQ7 micro inverters. As part of the install, the PVS6 monitoring device was installed/configured. Now, after all-is-said-and-done, I discover that SunPower's monitoring website will not provide per-panel information to the consumer...only to the installer/partner.

Had I known this prior, I might've been able to have Enphase's Envoy installed instead. But...

So, I know the PVS6 is publishing per-panel information, and SunPower is actively preventing the consumer from getting this information. Does anyone know of a way of getting to this, either via 3rd-party app or ???
Working...