Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pvnewb2019
    • Jul 2019

Inverter to work with 10 - 100Watt Rich Solar Panels

Hello. I'm new to solar so I apologize for the newb questions, but I do like everything so far.

I recently purchased 10 RichSolar 100W panels and some smaller inverters that I basically have to tie together for every 2 panels. The panel specs are:
    Panel Specifications
    • Maximum Power(Pmax): 100W
    • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 18.2V
    • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.49A
    • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 22.1V
    • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.86A
    • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC
    • Maximum Series Fuse Rating(A): 10A
    • Weight: 16.5 lbs
    • Dimensions: 39.6 x 26.2 x 1.4 in

I'm looking for a recommendation on how to tie 10 of these together (series/parallel or a combination of the two) as well as a recommendation on a single grid-tied inverter to handle all 10. I'm also not opposed to purchasing a couple more panels if that would be beneficial.
    A restriction that I do have is that I'm currently using 10AWG wire throughout and would like to stick with that if at all possible. My current understanding is that this limits me to 30 Amps. I'm also having a difficult time finding an inverter and getting the panels configured in a way that are within the inverter's operating range.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Even putting all ten panels in series, only gives you about 200V, well under the range of most GT inverters. Most want a range of 300 - 600VDC What is your plan ? Just to run some things off solar ? Charge batteries?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

You could use microinverters and a 3 panels in series set up to them but sure would be a lot of effort and red tape to do a legal grid tie set up for 9 - 1200 watts grid tie.
      The "imported" plug in the wall grid tie inverters are not legal to use in the USA and should be avoided for a number of reasons.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by pvnewb2019
        Hello. I'm new to solar so I apologize for the newb questions, but I do like everything so far.

I recently purchased 10 RichSolar 100W panels and some smaller inverters that I basically have to tie together for every 2 panels. The panel specs are:
        Panel Specifications
        • Maximum Power(Pmax): 100W
        • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 18.2V
        • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.49A
        • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 22.1V
        • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.86A
        • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC
        • Maximum Series Fuse Rating(A): 10A
        • Weight: 16.5 lbs
        • Dimensions: 39.6 x 26.2 x 1.4 in

I'm looking for a recommendation on how to tie 10 of these together (series/parallel or a combination of the two) as well as a recommendation on a single grid-tied inverter to handle all 10. I'm also not opposed to purchasing a couple more panels if that would be beneficial.
        A restriction that I do have is that I'm currently using 10AWG wire throughout and would like to stick with that if at all possible. My current understanding is that this limits me to 30 Amps. I'm also having a difficult time finding an inverter and getting the panels configured in a way that are within the inverter's operating range.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
        What is the name an model number of your "small inverters". As littleharbor mentioned if they are the "plug and play" type that are probably illegal to use in the US. If they are micro-inverters then you still may not be able to use them without permission from your POCO.

Comment

• pvnewb2019
          • Jul 2019

I've not purchased an inverter yet. My goal was to grid-tie these to my shop to power the small usage within the shop during the day and run off the util co at night. I wanted to start small and build once I can see how good/bad the panels do in my area. I did see a microinverter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Y&H 1000W MPPT on Amazon, but did not know they were illegal in the USA. Glad I joined this forum and did not purchase it yet. With that said, Is the recommendation to by a GT Inverter and more panels? I have the space, but am a bit out of my element here. Thanks to those who responded and posted. I'm learning tons from the other topics/forums.

Comment

• pvnewb2019
            • Jul 2019

Would it be possible to series wire 3 of the panels together and use an Enphase IQ 7X Microinverter and repeat this 3 times?

Comment

Working...