Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPSONJ
    • Jun 2019

Do I need to purchase a new meter?

We recently purchased a house with solar panels and a Sunny Boy 2500 inverter. It was an estate sale so there is no one who knows much of anything about the history of the system. We did some research to figure out how to submit our generation and create SLECs for sale. However, since no one has submitted anything in 3+ years, the generation is quite high and using the numbers from our inverter isn't sufficient evidence. We've been told we need a revenue grade production meter. It's been such a challenge so far just to find out any information about this process that we're not sure where to go for a recommendation on purchasing a meter and having it installed. Any guidance would be appreciated.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I'd start with a search for who installed the system. There's often/usually stickers on the equipment similar to what's on water heaters and HVAC equipment showing who installed the stuff. Failing that method, call the building authorities for permit history. Then, contact your POCO for what they know.

When you find out who the installed was, call them. Hopefully, they will still be in business. Then, get as much information from them as possible. They may be your best source for any needed additional equipment that may be required for SREC revenue.

In the meantime, get as much info as possible from actually looking at the equipment and familiarize yourself as to just what you have.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by KPSONJ
      We recently purchased a house with solar panels and a Sunny Boy 2500 inverter. It was an estate sale so there is no one who knows much of anything about the history of the system. We did some research to figure out how to submit our generation and create SLECs for sale. However, since no one has submitted anything in 3+ years, the generation is quite high and using the numbers from our inverter isn't sufficient evidence. We've been told we need a revenue grade production meter. It's been such a challenge so far just to find out any information about this process that we're not sure where to go for a recommendation on purchasing a meter and having it installed. Any guidance would be appreciated.
      This meter keeps track of my solar energy, used revenue grade meters can be had on the internet
      for a couple dozen $. Check what will qualify, however installation will be a lot more than the meter.

BiDirMtr.JPG

It brings up another point. Home systems, esp if somewhat out of the ordinary, should
      be documented for the house/system life. Not a problem here for someone from the
      phone business, things are pretty well labeled and numbered, and there is a shelf
      holding binders covering every system on the property. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Tecnodave
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

I buy used refribished PoCo meters from Texas Meter and supply for $50.00, they come with certification but your local county may want a local recertification, Santa Cruz County, CA charges me $20.00 for a certification, required by law if you sell power by the kW, not just for solar but in you have a second house running of the same PoCo feed as the main house and you want to bill tenant for power by the kW you need a certified revenue grade meter. With the event of smart meters there are thousands of used PoCo meters out there.

Comment

Working...