Inverter Rebooting at 11:00 am Nearly Every Sunny Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Rebooting at 11:00 am Nearly Every Sunny Day

My SolarEdge inverter is rebooting nearly every day at 11 am. Note that is happens other times as well, just not as often. TheDip.JPG
    I know, pretty weird. The system is just over a year old and this only recently started happening (couple of months). Solar Edge blamed my installer (E2 Solar) and my installer is blaming a combination of my utility's smart meter and Solar Edge's fault detection algorithm.

I suspect the production loss is minimal but this can't be good for the inverter's lifetime. I'm trying to figure out what I can do and to make someone take ownership of this issue. Any thoughts?

Line voltage will vary over a day, and your inverter will tend to push it higher as output approaches
    maximum. This has caused inverter trip out here, check your voltage esp at the inverter where it
    will be highest toward best sun. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by eanady View Post
      My SolarEdge inverter is rebooting nearly every day at 11 am. Note that is happens other times as well, just not as often. TheDip.JPG
      I know, pretty weird. The system is just over a year old and this only recently started happening (couple of months). Solar Edge blamed my installer (E2 Solar) and my installer is blaming a combination of my utility's smart meter and Solar Edge's fault detection algorithm.

I suspect the production loss is minimal but this can't be good for the inverter's lifetime. I'm trying to figure out what I can do and to make someone take ownership of this issue. Any thoughts?
      SolarEdge is monitoring the grid voltage as well. look at a graph of the grid voltage through the day.

Do you have a particularly long distance from the inverter to your meter?

Also check the voltages on the DC side, are they jumping around the disconnection time? are all your strings over 8 PV modules?
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

SolarEdge is monitoring the grid voltage as well. look at a graph of the grid voltage through the day.

Do you have a particularly long distance from the inverter to your meter?

Also check the voltages on the DC side, are they jumping around the disconnection time? are all your strings over 8 PV modules?
        Longer than most, I guess, about 150 feet. I'll check the voltages. Thanks.

Comment

Unless you have local loads on a timer that line up with the dumps, my guess is it may be disturbances on a local grid where the grid goes out of spec intermittently. Some inverter manufacturers set the specs on the inverter tighter then the actual required specs, The sometimes can widen out the specs to make the system less tolerant to grid issues. A friend of mine had similar issues in a rural area and eventually it turned out to be several issues with the local grid. One of the issues was a large oil pipeline would test their pumps once a week and when they started the pumps it would sag the circuit so the voltage went out of spec. Additionally there was 2 MW fairly ancient hydroelectric generator that had a equipment failure on equipment that was made by an long out of business manufacturer. Someone made the decision to keep the plant on line with this local equipment off line and have the utility dispatcher make remote adjustments. The utility took about 3 months of power quality monitoring to finally trace the issues down. Typically utilities do not have a lot of power quality meters and techs and it can take a lot of persistence to get them to investigate.

With respect to local loads, I have heard of hot water heater timers being an occasional issue.

Comment

Working...
          X