X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdzwolf
    • Feb 2019

Solar Edge inverter operating issue

Greetings,

I was just given permission to operate on Wednesday from my local utility and I switched on my system. It is a Solar Edge HD Wave 9.9Kw system. It has been overcast the past two days but system is still producing power as expected but I am seeing some really strange reporting and wondering if anyone has seen a similar issue. I have already reached out to my installer to see what they have to say as well. I am seeing the following issues:

- only 29 of 33 panels are reporting. System knows there are 33 but all day yesterday and today it shows 29/33 on the LCD.
    - When I look at the energy graph it shows period were the output is zero and once I was outside and the screen did show 0 watts of production and then I heard it switch on and suddenly it ramped up to 2200 watts. I know with the clouds the output changes but I don't see how it can go from 0 to 2200 watts in seconds.
    - Finally when I look at the physical layout panels that are right next to one another vary greatly. One will show 0Kw and another will be above 200Kw. My roof is completely clear of obstacles and faces south so I would expect them all to be similar with some minor variation.

I have attached pics to illustrate what I am seeing.
    Attached Files
  • John_Dumke
    • Dec 2017

Yes, VERY WEIRD indeed. My 9.24 Kw SolarEdge 10k HD wave system panels report very consistently relative to each other. Only when they are waking up in the morning can there be more than a couple percent variation. There is something very wrong.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

I would start with re-paring the optimizers to the inverter. This often will fix it not seeing all the optimizers and is indicative of an installer that did not finish setting it up.

As for them not showing consistent performance for PV modules right next to each other. There are several things that could do this, often installer was lazy and did not record the optimizer possitions so they just randomly put them into the layout, but you said there are no shadows...
      The other is that they did not follow solaredge stringing requirements and have a string that is too long or too short.

Do you have the string data? in the layout view change from physical to logic layout. installers often do not put in the string information though.
      ​​​​​​​
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

This is very interesting, was any part of this DIY?
        Those who do, do it!

Comment

Working...