Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ksnax
    • Feb 2019

Unistrut: Yea or nay?

Very simple question really. I have purchased a small amount for 4 panels, but I am having second thoughts about using it.

If you have installed it, would you use it again?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ksnax
    Very simple question really. I have purchased a small amount for 4 panels, but I am having second thoughts about using it.

If you have installed it, would you use it again?
    I have never used it on a solar installation because the solar rack manufacturers provide such good engineering support. I have seen it used as diagonal supports for an installation that did not have to pass code inspection.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

I have seen it used in some old BP Solar/Home Depot installs. Not sure I would use it for anything larger than you describe.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

I have used it on a 2 KW pole mount array and a smaller very custom wall mount rack. The wall mount uses the "gold" finished variety they sell at Home Depot. Works fine as long as you touch up the ends after cutting it. With 4 panels I highly doubt that this is a code install. If it is a code install then you would need PE to sign off the design and then buying an engineered rack that comes with a stamp is the better way to go.

On my wall mount the only deterioration is where it is in contact with red cedar (which is known to be quite corrosive). The other issue is that you need to galvanically isolate the aluminum panel frames from the strut. I bought some HDPE sheeting from a supply house and made up some big washers to go between the frame and the strut. Note, this applies in normal environments, If you are near salt water all bets are off.

Comment

• Ksnax
          • Feb 2019

Thanks. It doesn't sound worth it, as this will be for a permanent house awning roof mounting.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ksnax
            Thanks. It doesn't sound worth it, as this will be for a permanent house awning roof mounting.
            I recently added some more solar to a patio cover made with pressure treated wood. I did not use stainless steel fasteners but when I changed some panels around a couple of months later I was amazed at the corrosion on the cadmium plated lag bolts I had used. I have been replacing them with SS lag bolts over time. I also used an anti sieze compound between the SS washer and the Aluminum racking.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Matrix
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2017

I used it. Wished I hadn't. Too many question marks (mounting panels, mounting to roof, corrosion, etc) and too many modifications to actually get it to work with solar. I would have gone with Pro Solar Racking for about the same costs had I found that system before using Unistrut. I am even considering replacing with ProSolar if I add panels in the future. The idea of rusting steel on a white metal roof just does not seem like a pretty thought in the future.
              285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Working...