Any experience out there with the RoofTech Mini's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience out there with the RoofTech Mini's

Hey all I have been doing a lot of research and reading and am starting to nail down some equipment options. I was going to use a traditional flashed anchor for my racking system but am very curious about this product. It was mentioned by the solar supplier that I will be using and he said they were pretty slick. Seems to be fairly new but I love the idea of not having to pull nails on my new roof. (we got hit bad by Hurricane Michael here in the panhandle of Florida). Was originally going to use everything Ironridge because it's tried and true. This is my first DIY system and would love to keep things simple as possible even if it means spending a little more.

Here is the Link

https://roof-tech.us/products/rt-mini/

Thanks in advance all.

The roof-tech stuff is interesting, and they claim it's just as good as flashing. Maybe I'm old school, but personally I would stick with flashed mounts. Of course I'm in the northeast where we have to worry about snow and ice buildup, not just wind and rain.
    FWIW, many of the flashing manufacturers recommend to not remove the nails now. Instead you simply make a small V-cut in the flashing where the nails are. You're still under the second course, so you still have plenty of protection

Comment

I appreciate the info. Thanks. It always seems hard to move towards something new. Especially because nobody wants to "experiment" on their own house. I can't find anything out there this is negative about them.

Comment

FWIW, I'm with emartin00 on this one. 6"-8" posts double flashed in the conventional way. Time proven. Takes more time/money, but IMO, highest probability of a fit for purpose penetration.

A roof is about the last place on a house to cheap out.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          FWIW, I'm with emartin00 on this one. 6"-8" posts double flashed in the conventional way. Time proven. Takes more time/money, but IMO, highest probability of a fit for purpose penetration.

A roof is about the last place on a house to cheap out.
          thanks for the input guys. I didn't know that the manufacturers recommended leaving nails now. That changes things a bit. What do you mean by 6" to 8" posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Tooncinator View Post
            What do you mean by 6" to 8" posts?
            They are 3 piece roof mounts. A flange with 2 screws that attach to the roof and a threaded 1/2" post that the post screws into, and a fender washer for the top.

The double flashing then goes over the post and over the shingle/tile. A mounting and flashing system that has stood the test of time, and in my engineering opinion, probably more fit for purpose than more recent innovations/attachmet options.

A clip or other means to attach from the top of the post to the rail will be needed, depending on the rails/racking chosen.

Not an endorsement or plug, but what I used and IMO fit for purpose: Google "Unirac 004700C + technical specs". Then choose the pdf : " Unirac Technical Datasheets".

There are other suppliers of similar products. Unirac had the best quality/price for my needs when I designed my system.

Turns out the longest from Unirac post is 7", not 8". My error. My apologies. The shortest is 3". Longer is better for several reasons but may result in objectionable appearance. Opinions vary.

(I'd have liked 10" or better yet 12". Wishful thinking on my part.)

Comment

Working...
            X