X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorcyclemikie
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

Bench firing a Solaredge SE7600h inverter

I would like to bench test my SE7600h solaredge inverter. I assume that it needs to be attached to the grid? What do you guys do?
    Those who do, do it!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie
    I would like to bench test my SE7600h solaredge inverter. I assume that it needs to be attached to the grid? What do you guys do?
    If you want to turn it on, it will need to be connected to the grid yes.
    If you want to actually do some inverting then you will need a minimum string of optimizers connected to solar modules in some light.

This is not a typical thing that installers would perform though.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Paul Land
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Are you talking about using oscilliscope,and circuit analyzers and specing mosfets,caps and resistors or just the boot sequence.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

If you want to turn it on, it will need to be connected to the grid yes.

This is not a typical thing that installers would perform though.
        Yeah, thanks Butch. The weather outside is still terrible, I made some PV module electrical simulators and together with my optimizers attached to the inverter, I was hoping to find some way to simulate the grid attachment. I have seen youtube videos where they use another inverter to energize a off grid system, I am basically lazy and was looking for a easy way to fire it up.

Is one 120v leg attachment OK, or must I attach 240v? IMG_20190306_110042.jpg

I only made 6 of the PVM simulators, but I have more parts coming for a couple more for 8 on the string. But I am anxious to see something run.
        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

I made some PV module electrical simulators and together with my optimizers attached to the inverter, I was hoping to find some way to simulate the grid attachment. I have seen youtube videos where they use another inverter to energize a off grid system, I am basically lazy and was looking for a easy way to fire it up.

Is one 120v leg attachment OK, or must I attach 240v?

I only made 6 of the PVM simulators, but I have more parts coming for a couple more for 8 on the string. But I am anxious to see something run.
          Yeah I am out. Not going to be remotely responsible for what happens next.....

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

to test run it, you have to connect it to a real grid, usually 240V

And you have to meet the minimum DC power for it to start. Then it "should" be duck soup, if the grid is good, it will convert your 400VDC into AC and backfeed the grid.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
              to test run it, you have to connect it to a real grid, usually 240V

And you have to meet the minimum DC power for it to start. Then it "should" be duck soup, if the grid is good, it will convert your 400VDC into AC and backfeed the grid.
              Mike I was thinking the easiest way then would be to pull a temparary 240v line off a set of breakers in the panel. If I don't flip on the inverter switch then it shouldn't try to power the grid? but it should be ready to identify my string?

My PV simulators are good for no more than 150w so I didn't want to burn them up trying to power the grid, would like to see then operate though
              Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

If I don't flip on the inverter switch then it shouldn't try to power the grid? but it should be ready to identify my string?
                This is really covered in the manual but your assumption is not accurate.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

This is really covered in the manual but your assumption is not accurate.
                  I am going to have to reread the installation before I continue, don't want the smoke to get out . . . thanks
                  Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2019

20190304_151610.jpg20190304_151610.jpg
                    Are you talking about using oscilliscope,and circuit analyzers and specing mosfets,caps and resistors or just the boot sequence.[/QUOTE]

Paul, I do have an Oscope, but I basically wanted to get through the pairing process. The optimizers are operational for this string of 6 (6.19vdc) so I know they are getting at least 5W to power them. I am building some 600W max PVM simulators shortly, but want to use these for the time being.

I have decided to move everything into a out building I have that is already wired with 240vac this is going to get a little bit involved. I did want to try and get the system set up on the bench while the weather restricts any installation.

Those who do, do it!

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

[ATTACH=JSON]......

Paul, I do have an Oscope, but I basically wanted to get through the pairing process. The optimizers are operational for this string of 6 (6.19vdc) so I know they are getting at least 5W to power them. I am building some 600W max PVM simulators shortly, but want to use these for the time being.

I have decided to move everything into a out building I have that is already wired with 240vac this is going to get a little bit involved. I did want to try and get the system set up on the bench while the weather restricts any installation.
                      Can you set up a live video feed - this ought to be fun to watch. And post the ph # for your local rescue squad, someone may have to call on your behalf

You are talking about lethal voltages here, and there is no 2nd chance, no mistakes, and a messy pile of parts is not going to be your friend

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

Can you set up a live video feed - this ought to be fun to watch. And post the ph # for your local rescue squad, someone may have to call on your behalf

You are talking about lethal voltages here, and there is no 2nd chance, no mistakes, and a messy pile of parts is not going to be your friend
                        Yes! I worked in the Xray business early in my career, I do have respect for "higher voltages" I know that my "bench" test arrangement without the bench looks to be a mess of wire, if you look closely you'll see that it is structured into modules.

This is the way that I am used to gaining technical knowledge about electrical devices that I want to use. This picture will be confusing to a "larry with a ladder" type of installer that doesn't realize that a PV module can be electrically simulated. I stated before that I am basically a lazy guy and realize it is easier to carry around a box of PVM simulators (and cheaper) than 24 actual PV modules.

By benching my system I can have it all set up and operational before it goes outside for installation, this appears scary to the guys that are used to spending DAYS on a customers roof trying to "get it running" on the customers dime!

So today I will move this setup into my 240vac wired out building and get this organized and energized, so I can move to the next steps, I still need to determine what my PVM's and optimizers will be and I am in no rush to buy then until the weather allows for installation, I doubt that PV module prices will be increasing before then.

Thanks for your concern, but somebody has to do it

I have read many stories on this forum about installation delays due to "black box" failures that no one can explain, and it is just an accepted attitude. Sorry I can't accept that.

So I have a question, how do YOU determine if a solaredge optimizer or inverter is good or bad before dragging it up on the roof and installing it? If your answer is DUH, you might want to pay attention to this.
                        Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM.
                        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• Paul Land
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2018

Yes! I worked in the Xray business early in my career, I do have respect for "higher voltages" I know that my "bench" test arrangement without the bench looks to be a mess of wire, if you look closely you'll see that it is structured into modules.

This is the way that I am used to gaining technical knowledge about electrical devices that I want to use. This picture will be confusing to a "larry with a ladder" type of installer that doesn't realize that a PV module can be electrically simulated. I stated before that I am basically a lazy guy and realize it is easier to carry around a box of PVM simulators (and cheaper) than 24 actual PV modules.

By benching my system I can have it all set up and operational before it goes outside for installation, this appears scary to the guys that are used to spending DAYS on a customers roof trying to "get it running" on the customers dime!

So today I will move this setup into my 240vac wired out building and get this organized and energized, so I can move to the next steps, I still need to determine what my PVM's and optimizers will be and I am in no rush to buy then until the weather allows for installation, I doubt that PV module prices will be increasing before then.

Thanks for your concern, but somebody has to do it

I have read many stories on this forum about installation delays due to "black box" failures that no one can explain, and it is just an accepted attitude. Sorry I can't accept that.

So I have a question, how do YOU determine if a solaredge optimizer or inverter is good or bad before dragging it up on the roof and installing it? If your answer is DUH, you might want to pay attention to this.
                          What I would do is get 2016 NOS working model to do side by side bench test readings.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Paul Land

What I would do is get 2016 NOS working model to do side by side bench test readings.
                            You know Paul that is the question I was asking. I see a lot of solaredge equipment on the internet that is honestly being sold as "bad" because it is used in unknown working condition. I kinda like these deals because I can buy them for cheap and test for myself. It also seems that date codes (new old stock) and where they are made affects the performance in the string naturally.
                            If one module goes down A smart black box changer would tell the customer they need all new parts and change them out and everyone looks good! the customer is back on line producing energy, after a 2 month down time awaiting parts and service but his $20K investment is in operation.

One can buy these groups of "unknown" part for as little the price of the connector shells, you have to test em

To the original question, I like to run a side by side comparison on the bench and save the 30min or so to remove and reinstall the group of modules on the roof.
                            Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

If one module goes down A smart black box changer would tell the customer they need all new parts and change them out and everyone looks good! the customer is back on line producing energy, after a 2 month down time awaiting parts and service but his $20K investment is in operation.
                              Sounds like your are promoting Fraud especially on a solarEdge system which will tell you EXACTLY what part is bad...

Comment

Working...