Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power optimizer failure mode (SolarEdge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power optimizer failure mode (SolarEdge)

If a SolarEdge power optimizer fails on my roof, is it going to fail open circuit or will it short circuit the panel? Not any possible failure, but the most common kind of failure. Put another way - if a power optimizer fails is it going to turn off the whole string of panels, or will it remove its panel from the string and keep the rest of the string working? (thanks)

The failures I have seen have mostly left the string continue working.
    The one exception ( we had 4 or 5 optimizers fail this way ) was if the connectors or physical wiring fail. This is extremely rare and EVERY instance we had was with a single installer and a single crew and the installer narrowed it down to an idiot on that crew that was carrying the optimizers up to the roof by the connectors. Some of the failures were wire connections between optimizer and PV modules which kept the string going, and the others were from optimizer to optimizer which these would take down the string if the string that is left is too short (below minimum string length). These are really not failures so much as poor handling by the installer or really miss handling.

By far and above though the failures we have had were not optimizers but PV modules, usually failing of a diod leaving some section of the PV module working and only detectable because of the high monitoring of the optimizers.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I've had 2 optimizers at different locations that shorted the string and shut down the whole inverter. That's rare though. Most often it's just that optimizer that shuts down and the rest of the string keeps running.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X