Properly running a simple gas generator to charge a 12V battery bank.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleepless
    • May 2018

Properly running a simple gas generator to charge a 12V battery bank.

I have a Kodiak SGA2800HX gas generator, with a Honda 5.5HP engine, that I want to connect to a 12V battery charger. The question I have is regarding efficiently running the generator in relation to the load being drawn. This generator does not have any automatic throttle control, but rather has a manual lever. So, should the generator throttle control always be at the maximum position when running the charger and not idling? Or is there a "sweet spot" so that the generator isn't drawing more fuel than it has to?

The generator is capable of creating 20A at 120V = 2400W. The charger I want to use will use much less than that, perhaps 25A-40A at 12V = 480W max.

Thanks.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Generators can have two speeds, Idle and Operate. You always operate at Operational Speeds so as to hold 60 Hz.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• sleepless
      • May 2018

Ok, thanks.

The operation manual says to set the throttle lever to 1/3 from the minimum/idle position when starting the engine. So once started, I would then slide it to the full throttle max position. Does this mean that no matter the load, the generator will still draw the same amount of fuel, or will the increased load on the engine require it to draw more fuel to keep up the rpm/voltage, even if the throttle is always at max?

I'm just wondering if the most efficient way of charging the batteries using the generator is by using the maximum amperage charger possible for the bank, or if using a lower amperage charger and running the generator for a longer time would be as efficient.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Man o man, that is old style generator, with out automatic speed control. You will fry your battery charger with it.

You need a frequency meter to set the engine RPMs after you start it, and then to check it every 15 minutes or when loads change. anything from 50hz - 70hz should be ok, but lower than 50 hz and you are going to damage some of your AC gear. Above 70hz, stuff will just stop, but not likely to die.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sleepless
          • May 2018

That's a good idea. I'll check with a tachometer with and withoud the load. It should be running 3600rpm.

I believe the throttle control lever should be at the max position at all times running a load, and the generator will adjust for load from that point. I think any other position is for idling or starting without a load. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give much info in this regard.

Any thoughts on how the solar charge controller responds to having a secondary, generator run charger charging the batteries?

Thanks.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sleepless
            Any thoughts on how the solar charge controller responds to having a secondary, generator run charger charging the batteries?.
            No problem as the charger/generator is a much stiffer source of power and the controller will just shut down the panels because it thinks the batteries are fully charged. .

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...