Canadian Solar VS Panasonic, value or brand in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • why_not
    • Nov 2018

Canadian Solar VS Panasonic, value or brand in your opinion?

Hello
    I would like to get your opinions about Panasonic VS Canadian Solar panels. I leave in FL and thinking of going solar. This two solar panels got my attention specificallyhttps://a1solarstore.com/canadian-so...lar-panel.html for $195 andhttps://a1solarstore.com/panasonic-h...lar-panel.html for $335
    Power out put is the same 330W, but price difference is $140
    My question: is it worth spending extra 3K on the system just for brand name or I'm missing something??
    I'm not planning on living in this house for the rest of my life , probably will move in 3-5 years. In Florida solar system cost is included in property appraisal, so Im planning on getting my money back when i sell the house, but lowering my electric bill is very attractive to me.

• SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello why_not and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Depending on who your POCO is in Fl and how much you use a year will help determine the ROI payback of your investment.

Since you do not plan on hanging around long I don't feel the extra cost for the Panasonic panels is worth it.

I live in the Brooksville area of FL and have done the math for a 6kw - 7kw system.

Based on my existing costs I come up with > 8 year payback IF the installed cost is < $2. Based on the calculators I may save ~ $1000 per year so I have to think long and hard before I install any pv at my home.

One other thing you need to research is you should talk to a Real Estate agent in your area and see what a solar pv system does to increase your home value. I use to live in Clearwater and none of the Agents felt a solar pv system did anything to raise my home value but your home and location may be different. Just do the research and see if Solar is a good plan for you since you do not plan on staying around more than 5 years.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I can't add much to what Suneagle offers except that Canadian Solar is a known and quality name and suggest that while the value added by an existing PV system may vary by region or even by block, in general, I'd be very skeptical of any opinions that say PV increases the salability or value of a home. What I've seen of such jingo is little more than B.S. to separate buyers from their money and increase real estate slug's commissions.

If you plan on moving in 3-5 years, you probably won't get your full investment back even at ~ $2.00 STC W after fed. tax credit. Put the money in conservation efforets and/or a bond fund or something else. You'll still reduce your bills, get some dividends to help offset them more, and probably still have all of the principal left in 5 years.

Comment

• niksadon
        • Nov 2021

I recommend contacting several companies and ask for an estimate for the project. So you can compare price and quality and then choose the best option for yourself.

Comment

• solarix
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2015

Solar panels are pretty much a commodity now, and virtually all brands are very durable. Warranties mean little as the real question is whether the manufacturer will last 25 years not if the panel will last that long. The expensive panels will be a bit more efficient, but as long as roof space isn't a critical issue for you - it makes no sense to spend the extra money on these companies that haven't remained cost competitive. Canadian Solar is much better value than Panasonic.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Will792
            • Jan 2019

These 2 panels might require somewhat different inverters since voltage in Panasonic 96 cell panels is substantially higher than in Canadian Solar. It means that total price difference with Panasonic panels might be even more than just panels price delta.

I like Panasonic panels for thermal factor but price difference is too substantial to make up for higher production when temperature is high. Canadian Solar, unlike many other solar companies, has outside company providing reinsurance service on warranty claims. In practical terms it means much higher chances of having warranty claims paid if company goes under.

if the plan is to stay in the house for only few years the price and visual appearance should be most important factors.

Comment

Working...