Battery Replacement Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Replacement Recommendation

I sit on the board of our HOA and we have a solar panel system at the front of the subdivision that runs a small LED light and sprinkler controller. The complete system was installed about 6 years ago. The original installer is no longer available and we don't have anyone really versed in the system to understand what our problems are. The panel was replaced last year and we replaced the battery 2 years ago. Personally, I believe the battery may be the culprit, but not real sure.

1 Panel: CanadianSolar CS6P-270P
    Pmax: 270W
    Vmp: 30.8V
    Imp: 8.75A
    Voc: 37.9V
    Isc: 9.32A

1 Battery: Optima Bluetop Marine Dual Purpose D34M-950
    Model: D34M
    MCA: 870
    CCA: 750
    AH: 55
    RC: 120

We have a Solar Charge Controller, that I assume is working properly. The LED light works without issue each night.

Our problem is with the inverter that supplies power to the sprinkler controller. It was several years old and was not supplying AC power. We replaced with a like kind PowerStream PST-INV1224-60Hz 24Vac True Sine Wave Inverter. When connected to the system, we get a solid 12V DC power in, but 0 AC power out. The inverter does not trigger "on". When I connect the inverter to my car battery (as requested by PowerStream), the inverter hums and provides AC power out.

I'm at a loss and not real sure where to turn or who to call. Spoken with a few electricians who claim it's not an electrical issue since we can verify 12V DC in. It's not an inverter issue since I can verify it works properly when connected to the car. So that leaves me with wondering if it's an incorrect battery. One of our homeowners replaced it with the current battery and we are unsure what battery was there to begin with. Any ideas if the battery could be the problem and what type of battery we need to fix this?

I plan to have the battery load tested today. Any recommendations on what to look for in a replacement battery?

are you attaching the inverter directly to the battery terminals or to the charge controller?
    I would suspect the wiring...
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Sounds like either a wiring issue or battery. To spot a wiring issue is fairly easy. It takes two voltage measurements.

1. Directly on the Battery Term Post
      2. Directly on the Inverter Input Terminals
      • If voltage is good on battery term post (12.5 volts or higher), but low at Inverter, you have a wiring issue.
      • If battery voltage is low you have a battery/charger issue.
      Go figure it out.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X