Project Monitoring SunPower using PRTG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Monitoring SunPower using PRTG

Hello all. John here. I have been working to develop monitoring of a friend's (also called John) Sunpower system using PRTG. All data is scraped from http://172.27.153.1/cgi-bin/dl_cgi?Command=DeviceList which is a URL that was gleaned from https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...-traffic/page6. Much kudos to those that discovered this. I think what I am developing takes it to the next level. Although, it can be said, much of this is available on the Sunpower website, the distinction is that we can go beyond summary data and plot data from all the components.

Anyway, here's the status. I have not posted code yet or deployment instructions, but in a nutshell, you just need to connect to the supervisor, either directly via a secondary network adapter (cheap USB perhaps), or make the supervisor network routable (instructions pending c/o the other John). Then you install PRTG on a windows box which is free up to 100 sensors. From there you create sensors (instructions pending from me). It's all based on a perl script that does some magic with that JSON.

Here is a link to the github project with notes and screenshots so far.

https://github.com/JJWatMyself/SunPower

I think it's pretty cool. I hope you do to. I wrote my first line of Perl a couple of weeks ago as wanted to revamp a cable modem monitoring script that was written in Perl, similarly a github project. The rest is history at this point. Let me know what you like, don't like, wish list, etc. I do not plan to take requests for features, but if I think there is value, I'll certainly consider.

John

Wow! Very cool project John. I am going to have to set this up on my system... As soon as you post the code that is.
    Last edited by miatawnt2b; 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miatawnt2b View Post
      Wow! Very cool project John. I am going to have to set this up on my system... As soon as you post the code that is.
      Excellent. Glad you like. I've added a bunch of stuff since I posted originally. The readme has all the details. What's new is cool. Basically derived data and analysis: comparisons of data elements; comparisons to the published spec. e.g. power (%) and efficiency (%). I'd like to get the features and functions more fully baked before I post code as otherwise there will be all the support around 'how to upgrade from version X to version Y'. Then there is all of the PRTG Q&A which would potentially be tedious. My recommendation is that you get PRTG installed and play with it for monitoring whatever you have on your network already. Building some familiarity will be a good thing. I personally use the software at home (limited to 100 sensors) and at work have an install with approx 1,000 network devices with approx 10,000 sensors being monitored across them. It is very cool software with fab integration for escalations be it by email or paging services. But enough of the PRTG ad. Let me know if you have any ideas on the SunPower monitoring functionality. It's possible there are things I have not even begun to think about. Thanks. John

Comment

Hello John,

i'm using PRTG at work with approx 10.000 sensors.
        I'm using it at home for my network equipment, sonos, my server,

Comment

My last reply was not fully saved.
          I've read your project about Monitoring Sunpower panels with PRTG.
          The last update was approx 4 months ago.
          Any news about publishing it? Any changes?

Comment

Originally posted by kipni View Post
            My last reply was not fully saved.
            I've read your project about Monitoring Sunpower panels with PRTG.
            The last update was approx 4 months ago.
            Any news about publishing it? Any changes?
            The code is finished bar the following items:
            • there is a divide by zero scenario I'd like to address
            • ideally the code should be restructured to incorporate functions, i.e. code is duplicated in multiple areas

Of these two items it's really the first that is required as I consider it a bug. It has sat, due to other priorities, pretty much since my last post on github. It's not much work to be completely honest and it will get done, and be posted along with instructions soon. I can't give you a specific date estimate just yet.

BTW I too utilize PRTG at work with about 10,000 sensors. I posted a reply to 'I run PRTG on VMware. How can I obtain best performance?' this morning as am planning an upgrade to the underlying infrastructure. It's a moderated site, so might take a few hours to show-up. Would be interested to hear about your environment from a hardware perspective.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/491...st-performance

John

Comment

Working...
            X