X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by RenewablesRock

But the thing is, you pay all that money for those and they sit and do nothing until you actually have an emergency. If I am going to invest all kinds of money in backup power, I want to use it 24/7. Like right now I am using lighting and ventilation provided by my batteries and inverters. I use them every day. I just want to get this off-grid A/C worked out. It looks like it's a bit of work to get it functioning. And since it's coming from China, then I have to worry about when it breaks and who's going to fix it. Or if it even works right when I set it up.
    if you want to use it all the time then get a grid tie bimodal system like OutBack, etc,. It will keep the batteries topped off and ready for an outage as well as feed back to the grid 99% of the time reducing your bill.
    If you keep playing with off grid your just cycling your batteries daily, stressing the entire system and it has to be over sized to handle the peaks as well.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by RenewablesRock

But the thing is, you pay all that money for those and they sit and do nothing until you actually have an emergency. If I am going to invest all kinds of money in backup power, I want to use it 24/7. Like right now I am using lighting and ventilation provided by my batteries and inverters. I use them every day. I just want to get this off-grid A/C worked out. It looks like it's a bit of work to get it functioning. And since it's coming from China, then I have to worry about when it breaks and who's going to fix it. Or if it even works right when I set it up.
      Sure it makes sense to use the equipment I purchased but in reality it costs me about $0.12/kWh from my POCO and it would calculate out to $1+/kWh using my solar/battery system.

I built the 80 watt system for use in the field when I fly my RC planes and the 400 watt was done before I understood the high costs for any off grid system. The generators were a small investment or "insurance plan" that are there if I need emergency power. I understand that I may not use them but then again why purchase any "insurance plan" if you are just trying to protect against the disaster that hopefully will never happen.

Based on all that I have seen the only reasonable payback using solar is to have a grid tie system and even then it may not be cost effective unless you have high electric rates or plan on staying in the home well past the ROI time period.

The technology to run equipment directly from the sun is still maturing and until it becomes a commodity it will be expensive.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Sure it makes sense to use the equipment I purchased but in reality it costs me about $0.12/kWh from my POCO and it would calculate out to $1+/kWh using my solar/battery system.

I built the 80 watt system for use in the field when I fly my RC planes and the 400 watt was done before I understood the high costs for any off grid system. The generators were a small investment or "insurance plan" that are there if I need emergency power. I understand that I may not use them but then again why purchase any "insurance plan" if you are just trying to protect against the disaster that hopefully will never happen.

Based on all that I have seen the only reasonable payback using solar is to have a grid tie system and even then it may not be cost effective unless you have high electric rates or plan on staying in the home well past the ROI time period.

The technology to run equipment directly from the sun is still maturing and until it becomes a commodity it will be expensive.
        Insurance: That's where you're betting something bad will happen to you, and some insurance company is betting it won't happen, and you're hoping you lose the bet.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-26-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Here it would be good to break even, but goals of using no fuels (not even wood or nuke) at home
          or being connected to (ever more expensive) fewer utilities are being met. This without giving up
          luxuries or much inconvenience.

The technologies only will improve when they are pushed and used. The mini-split heat
          pump technology appears to potentially be a real energy saver. In the distance is the idea
          that these internally DC operated heat pumps may be quite effective even without the grid
          and net metering. Bruce Roe
          Last edited by bcroe; 07-25-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Matrix
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bcroe
            Here it would be good to break even, but goals of using no fuels (not even wood or nuke) at home
            or being connected to (ever more expensive) fewer utilities are being met. This without giving up
            luxuries or much inconvenience.

The technologies only will improve when they are pushed and used. The mini-split heat
            pump technology appears to potentially be a real energy saver. In the distance is the idea
            that these internally DC operated heat pumps may be quite effective even without the grid
            and net metering. Bruce Roe
            yes I think the future of it all (solar, inverter compressors, etc) is very promising and exciting. I do not fool myself into believing that off grid is cheap or easy, but there does seem to be a lot of future promise on the horizon.
            285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• RenewablesRock
              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

if you want to use it all the time then get a grid tie bimodal system like OutBack, etc,. It will keep the batteries topped off and ready for an outage as well as feed back to the grid 99% of the time reducing your bill.
              If you keep playing with off grid your just cycling your batteries daily, stressing the entire system and it has to be over sized to handle the peaks as well.
              I just ordered two more 100 Ah batteries today for that reason before the other batteries I have get too old to mix batteries with. I have seen many people recommend not going below 80% on your batteries if you want a long lifetime. That's a LOT of batteries to pull that off. I guess for those people making big bucks and having very small living expenses, they have no problems buying this stuff. My minimum bills exceed $7,000+ per month EASILY. I can't just put 10 AGM batteries on a debit card the way a lot of people here do.

Comment

• RenewablesRock
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Matrix

yes I think the future of it all (solar, inverter compressors, etc) is very promising and exciting. I do not fool myself into believing that off grid is cheap or easy, but there does seem to be a lot of future promise on the horizon.
                This is a hurricane area. At the very least you expect a power outage after the storm as they repair lines. I cannot stand all of the brownouts FPL puts. They have already messed up my A/C from the back to back black outs, like 20 in a row after the hurricane. It makes the compressor overheat and then I have no A/C for 90 minutes. This is why I so desperately want off grid A/C. If I grid tie stuff, that's going to add THOUSANDS to the cost of what I'm trying to do between all of the permits and paying people to do all kinds of stuff. I would love to do that. I am simply paying like 25 bills per month and cannot afford to do stuff like that until at least 2026.

Comment

Working...