High capacity grid tie single phase inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Buy a book: " Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". You need more basic information. 20 bucks well spent.
    Or get a nice used paperbound copy of that and also SOLAR POWER YOUR HOME FOR DUMMIES
    also by Rik DeGunther, and HOME REMEDIES Tom Wilson all for hardly more than media postage
    for 4 lb from 61084. While these are a good beginning, they don't extend to my operation of an
    overwhelming supply of solar energy to cancel all home consumption. I would like to turn in my DUMMY
    cap. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Or get a nice used paperbound copy of that and also SOLAR POWER YOUR HOME FOR DUMMIES
      also by Rik DeGunther, and HOME REMEDIES Tom Wilson all for hardly more than media postage
      for 4 lb from 61084. While these are a good beginning, they don't extend to my operation of an
      overwhelming supply of solar energy to cancel all home consumption. I would like to turn in my DUMMY
      cap. Bruce Roe
      Hey Bruce: Send me your hat. Seems the more I learn, the more I find out I don't know. Result: I realize how much I know as a % of all knowledge gets smaller all the time. Result: Using the criteria that I know less than thought, I get continuously dumber. The goal at this stage is to die a complete nitwit (a goal my bride - and most likely some readers of my mental spoor - claim I achieved long ago).

BTW, I attended the conference that was the basis of the "Home Remedies" book, met Tom Wilson and contributed a couple of ideas on calcing' building heat loads. I also had him sign my copy of the book after its publication in 1981. Don't know if the original was ever updated. I kind of doubt it. Even so, or if not, still many nuggets of wisdom and a lot of common sense in there, even if some of it has become dated and perhaps a bit anachronistic.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Hey Bruce: Send me your hat. Seems the more I learn, the more I find out I don't know. Result: I realize how much I know as a % of all knowledge gets smaller all the time. Result: Using the criteria that I know less than thought, I get continuously dumber. The goal at this stage is to die a complete nitwit (a goal my bride - and most likely some readers of my mental spoor - claim I achieved long ago).

BTW, I attended the conference that was the basis of the "Home Remedies" book, met Tom Wilson and contributed a couple of ideas on calcing' building heat loads. I also had him sign my copy of the book after its publication in 1981. Don't know if the original was ever updated. I kind of doubt it. Even so, or if not, still many nuggets of wisdom and a lot of common sense in there, even if some of it has become dated and perhaps a bit anachronistic.

Regards,
        Actually I wondered if your pen name was Rik DeGunther? The bulletins still come here, and
        even in my electronics specialty, one design problem after another that we struggled with
        decades ago has been reduced to "cookbook" solutions. The little corner of electronics I
        claim to know something about, keeps becoming a smaller and smaller part of the whole.
        so be it, Bruce Roe

Comment

Actually I wondered if your pen name was Rik DeGunther? The bulletins still come here, and
          even in my electronics specialty, one design problem after another that we struggled with
          decades ago has been reduced to "cookbook" solutions. The little corner of electronics I
          claim to know something about, keeps becoming a smaller and smaller part of the whole.
          so be it, Bruce Roe
          Bruce: I'll kill that speculation now. No. That ain't me.

Other than some blurbs in my HOA's news letter about how homeowners can decrease the probability of getting a mostly self induced screwing by doing PV while being solar ignorant, the only thing I ever did that was close to being "published" has been languishing in my Alma Mater's library since ~ 1988 or so and deals with methods of changing (with the usual goal of increasing) the onset frequency of flow induced vibration of tubing in shell & tube heat exchangers as f(tube axial stress) and the variation of some other mechanical design parameters in what are perhaps some unusual ways. It mostly dealt with the kind of stuff that caused the San Onofre boiler refits to fail prematurely.

IMO only, they should have seen that one coming in the early stages of the design of the refit. Looking at it from the outside, seems to me that MBA's and mgmt. made bad choices, and some spineless engineers let them get away with it, but that's way off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Fourthbean View Post
            Thankfully here in Oncor territory it is regulated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas. The customer is looked out for pretty well in that sense. So one of the plans I looked at allowed me to store KWh in the grid for when I need it later
            Has anyone noticed he lives in TX, not in Austin because he is on Oncor where there is no Net Metering Laws, offering such great deals? Anyone find that strange? Going residential rates are less than 10-cents per Kwh, and I have never heard of any utility in TX allowing unlimited over production with banking of 12 months.
            Last edited by Sunking; 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Has anyone noticed he lives in TX, not in Austin because he is on Oncor where there is no Net Metering Laws, offering such great deals? Anyone find that strange? Going residential rates are less than 10-cents per Kwh, and I have never heard of any utility in TX allowing unlimited over production with banking of 12 months.
              yea, notice 3d para., my 07/10, 2136 hrs. post.

Being in TX, I figured the cost/kWh was relatively low, but too lazy to root around in rate schedules. Figured I'd let you or some other knowledgeable Texan inform the OP of questionable cost effectiveness possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

I wish I knew, everytime I did the simple math it was a no-brainer that Solar wasn't the way to go. Never even got to metering considerations. Last time I looked while living in TX was 3yrs ago, it wasn't feasible for me but I was looking at pro-install pricing too. FWIW, I lived in Houston area from '96-'15

One thing that throughs an interesting wrench in the works is the 'Power to choose' laws. Which always anybody to make a company, negotiate rates w/ the PoCo, and then sell power, making them the retail provider, while the PoCo is still the service provider. There are literally dozens of retailers in the Houston area, while Reliant Energy (NRG now I believe) is the service provider. I did this for the last 10yrs or so living in Texas (since the went into effect) as Reliant Energy jumped their rates to ridiculous numbers for Houston (they had the right to set their Residential rates to whatever they wanted at that point) and everybody said screw it, I'm going with Company XYZ for $0.10-0.12/kWh like what I was paying before.

Anyway, while Net Metering isn't required by the PUC of Texas - the dual metering is required to be provided if requested, and anyone can become an Electric PoCo and generate and sell (lots of Wind Power in NW parts of Texas. Looks like more recently the big PoCo's are more agreeable to Residential Solar as well. At least I found some things with Oncor and 1kW-15kW DC Residential Solar programs. I'd assume you still need to have a working agreement w/ a Retailer Provider for the Net Metering aspect, but I'd be surprised if it can't be done.

That said, is it financially feasible? I'd say no if you're paying the $3/W pro-install. But probably if you're DIY. Of course, one needs to crunch the numbers.

Comment

I appreciate your support Taz. I have only ever lived in Oncor territory so do not know what it is like to spend 24 cents per kWh but if I can get a 4-5 year payback on solar vs 10 cents a kWh it seems like a no brainer to me...

Comment

so be it, Bruce Roe
                    Being slow on the draw, I just figured out why you might think I'm someone else.

I suggest the "Dummies" book a fair amount because it seems a good primer for those in need of information. I don't agree with all of it, but that matters not. It's mostly good info that's mostly complete, with info where to get more info. And no, I've never met Rik DeGunther (yet), nor do I get a spiff by mentioning his work. I'm a whore like everyone else when it come to making a buck, but I'd like to think my price is a lot higher than that.

I appreciate and share your little corner comment. Mine's probably smaller than yours and getting more irrelevant as f(time) to those younger than me (or maybe with just more of their brains left). Such is reality.

BTW: You are not the first to think I was someone else. Seems like a lot of my former coworkers thought I was some ancient Greek king named Oedipus. I could tell that by how they often referred to me.

Respectfully,

Comment

Originally posted by Fourthbean View Post
                      I appreciate your support Taz. I have only ever lived in Oncor territory so do not know what it is like to spend 24 cents per kWh but if I can get a 4-5 year payback on solar vs 10 cents a kWh it seems like a no brainer to me...
                      Well at $0.10/kWh w/ targeting ~22,000kWh/yr roughly that's $2200/yr * 5 yrs, that's a $11,000/0.70 -> $15,714 pre-tax credit budget. If you're at ~15KW System to get ~22,000kWh/yr (Assuming used PVWatts for analysis - if not do so) that seems a very aggressive budget at ~$1/W before tax credit. I'd be interested in hearing what some of the DIY crowd say on that.

I'd do the homework for everything you're going to need down to the tiniest details as a lot of the 'little stuff' can start adding up quickly. But before I'd go to that effort, I'd verify that someone is going to provide you with Net Metering, and have specifics in writing as to what exactly the service agreement calls for in terms of what you pay per kWh delivered to you and what they credit you with per kWh that you deliver to them, and if credits are maintained from month to month, until an annual true-up, ... If you don't have all that in writing some place, you're doing this in blind faith, and you could have a system were you effectively consume < 1/2 of the energy it produces a year, more than doubling your ROI timeframe.

Comment

Working...
                      X