SMA Sunny Boy 8000, display lens fogged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMA Sunny Boy 8000, display lens fogged

I live in southern Arizona. Eight years ago I had an 8.5KW system installed that uses an SMA Sunny Boy 8000 inverter. It has worked flawlessly since the beginng, but now there is a small, yet inconvenient problem. The plastic display lens has become fogged over on the inside, probably from sun damage. This is not moisture. I can no longer read the display. Is there an easy fix for this? I was thinking of removing the front cover and replacing the damaged lens, but where to get parts? Thanks for any comments or ideas. Russ

Hi Rus1, welcome to the forum. It might take a day or two for the admin to approve your account fully, you can post again but your posts won't be visible until approval. Have you tried getting parts from the manufacturer yet?

Comment

Thanks Steve,

The Internet searches I did found only limited key components available from SMA. It appears the "servicing and repair" that is done is unit or main module replacement only.
      Even if a replacement new cover could be found, I would bet the cost would be fairly high to resolve the little plastic lens problem. Why couldn't one remove the cover, and replace the little plastic window with piece of glass cut to size? Of course if the little plastic lens is available at reasonable cost, that would be a better solution if combined with an opaque cover that could be lifted to view the LSD display, but left in place most of the time to prevent sun damage. Thank you for the welcome greeting!

Russ

Comment

Been there, done that. SMA will not help you on this as they say that sun damage is not covered under warranty. A replacement cover costs about a $100.... They don't sell just the lens. We put a flap over the new lens and quit installing inverters where there is direct sun exposure. (Ironic that a solar inverter is not made to be installed in the sun) Don't feel bad - most of the inverters from other manufacturers are even more plasticy.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Outdoors is tough. They may say an inverter can be mounted outside, but mine are in the shed. The 6061
          aluminum array support with 18-8 stainless hardware is holding up well, but I wonder if any solar wiring
          getting sun will really last 2 decades. Bruce Roe

Comment

Thanks Solarix,

What do you think of my idea of replacing the lens on the existing cover with either plastic or glass and covering the area from the sun going forward? A practical solution?

Comment

go for it... and I have the extra, old cover if it doesn't work.
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Is the sun damage the same as the damage car headlight lens damage? If so you might try the many techniques used to clear these types of plastic lenses. A Google search or a visit to local auto parts store could put you onto a less expensive solution.

Comment

Dan,
                  Thank you for your suggestion. I tried that method on the outside of the lens, only to learn on closer inspection the fogged part is on the inside. When I get the cover off, I'll try it on the inside of the lens and see if it clears up. If that works, it is easier than replacement.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                  X