Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgdistrb
    • Oct 2011

0/0 Gauge Aluminum Wire

Hi, I am using 2/0 Gauge Aluminum Wire. The combiner box I would like to get is a Midnite MNPV6. The box accepts 1/0 wire.
    Do anyone know if there is a way for the 2/0 wire to fit? I'm just wondering if there is any leeway in the gauge size or does anyone have a trick up their sleeve to make this work. I thought maybe I could remove some stands of wire or grind them down to a diameter that would work.
    Any Suggestions?

Thank you,
    George
    Last edited by dgdistrb; 06-04-2018, 09:40 PM.
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by dgdistrb
    Hi, I am using 0/0 Gauge Aluminum Wire. The combiner box I would like to get is a Midnite MNPV6. The box accepts 1/0 wire.
    Do anyone know if there is a way for the 0/0 wire to fit? I'm just wondering if there is any leeway in the gauge size or does anyone have a trick up their sleeve to make this work. I thought maybe I could remove some stands of wire or grind them down to a diameter that would work.
    Not and meet the standards the box was designed to. There are splicing products available that can both convert Al to Cu wire and step it down in size. AlumiConn splices, for example, can work for some applications, but don't go that low in gauge. Note - you MUST use a product specifically intended for stepping aluminum wire down to copper; you CANNOT use normal splicing methods (i.e. split bolts.)
    Last edited by jflorey2; 06-04-2018, 02:34 PM. Reason: added splice option

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

The box accepts 1/0 wire.
      Do anyone know if there is a way for the 0/0 wire to fit?
      I don't know what you mean by "0/0 wire".
      That isn't a typical description of wire size.
      AWG that I am familiar with for larger wires are:
      1/0 (spoken as "one-aught")
      2/0 (or I think sometimes "00" - spoken as "two-aught" )
      3/0
      4/0

Do you have a 2/0 conductor you need to fit a 1/0 (or smaller) connector?
      Or do you have a 1/0 conductor that you need to fit a 1/0 (or smaller) connector? (in which case - no problem - just make sure to use the anti-ox stuff on any alum. wires)

Removing strands to make it fit is *always* a no-no.

There are "pin adapter" or "pin terminal" that if you have proper tools would be an option to decrease size of a wire.
      But you probably don't have the right tools.
      So the more likely choice for you is a connector similar to "burndy BIT2/0" (probably you need similar but waterproof since this will be inside a box that's outside. I'm not sure about the requirements/code in that.)
      For installing that you just need a torque wrench to properly torque the connector. And you'll have to have that already for other things.)

Comment

• dgdistrb
        • Oct 2011

foo1bar, Thanks for pointing that out. Yes I checked the wire it say 2/0 on it. I bought the wire almost 10 years ago and I remembered the salesman calling it double yaught wire.
        So you asked me "
        Do you have a 2/0 conductor you need to fit a 1/0 (or smaller) connector?" The answer is yes. So I will look into the burndy BIT2/0. But waterproof.
        Thank you for your help

Comment

• dgdistrb
          • Oct 2011

Would this be what you are recommending? Something like this? Or would this not be waterproof enough?

BIT2ORK.jpg
          BIT2/0RK
          by Burndy Catalog ID: BIT2/0RK

AL6061-T6 Aluminum Body Tap Connector, UNITAP, Aluminum Conductor - Size Range:8 AWG-2/0 AWG,Wire Strip Length: 11/16 IN,Torque: 120 IN-LB.
          Features: Clear Plastisol Covered AL6061-T6 Aluminum Body: Saves Time, Lowers Installation Costs, Eliminates Taping, Clear Plastisol: Allows Visual Confirmation That Conductor Is Properly Inserted, Oxide Inhibitor Pre-Installed: Inhibits Moisture And Contaminants From Entering The Contact Area, Range-Taking: Reduces Number Of Connectors Carried In Inventory, Wire Entry: Double, Torque: 120 IN-LB, Hex Size (key): 3/16 IN, Conductor Size (run - Range): 14 - 2/0 AWG, Wire Strip Length: 11/16 IN, Type Of Insulation: Plastisol, Number Of Ports: 2

Comment

• emartin00
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Would this be what you are recommending? Something like this? Or would this not be waterproof enough?

BIT2ORK.jpg
            BIT2/0RK
            by Burndy Catalog ID: BIT2/0RK

AL6061-T6 Aluminum Body Tap Connector, UNITAP, Aluminum Conductor - Size Range:8 AWG-2/0 AWG,Wire Strip Length: 11/16 IN,Torque: 120 IN-LB.
            Features: Clear Plastisol Covered AL6061-T6 Aluminum Body: Saves Time, Lowers Installation Costs, Eliminates Taping, Clear Plastisol: Allows Visual Confirmation That Conductor Is Properly Inserted, Oxide Inhibitor Pre-Installed: Inhibits Moisture And Contaminants From Entering The Contact Area, Range-Taking: Reduces Number Of Connectors Carried In Inventory, Wire Entry: Double, Torque: 120 IN-LB, Hex Size (key): 3/16 IN, Conductor Size (run - Range): 14 - 2/0 AWG, Wire Strip Length: 11/16 IN, Type Of Insulation: Plastisol, Number Of Ports: 2

That connector is not waterproof, and must be used inside an enclosure. If you go this route, you would need to go with a BURNDY UGS350ULDB connector.

The other option is a pin terminal, the AYP2/0 or AYPO2/0. However, these will require the proper crimping tool.

Or the mechanical version, these are new, so I'm not sure exactly which cat# you would need.
              BURNDY® is pleased to introduce a family of mechanical pin adaptors. BURNDY is the first to market this innovative product which provides customers with

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

the proper designation of aught cable is
              Numeral Slash Zero
              3/0 wire

Till about 10 minutes ago, I thought the zero was a capitol O as in Ought . Guess the standard changed in the last 40 years.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JSchnee21
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2017

How much current are you planning to carry? Over what distance? Unless you're planning a PV system >50kW PV or running DC several hundred feet, 2/0 seems unnecessarily large. Or at least large enough that you should consider having an electrician involved.

Ampacity

Combiner box

If I recall correctly, my 12kW system only uses ~6 or 8 gauge copper for each string as the current at ~380V is pretty low.

"I thought maybe I could remove some stands of wire or grind them down to a diameter that would work." -- Umm, I hear safety bells going off in my head -- oh not, wait, that;s the fire alarm . . .

Comment

• dgdistrb
                  • Oct 2011

Ok, I went and picked up something similar to a
                  BIT2/0RK and a weather proof box. I found some 2 awg wire so I'm going to use that instead of the 2/0.
                  Thanks guys for your guidance.

Comment

• tyab
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2016

Polaris Black series can do exactly what you are trying to do. Look at the ISR models or the ITO models. Insanely easy to use. I personally used the IPLD series in my install to transition to/from my parallel 4/0 AL.

Last edited by tyab; 06-06-2018, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• dgdistrb
                      • Oct 2011

Thank you guys for your help. I just finished the job and everything is working fine......

Comment

Working...