Tesla (Solar City) system. Other monitoring options?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miatawnt2b
    • Jan 2018

Tesla (Solar City) system. Other monitoring options?

I have an 11.375 kW system from Tesla, SolarEdge Inverter with optimizers, 325W panels. Solar City's monitoring doesn't appear to be very complete based on what I've seen from others that have SolarEdge. Is there any secondary monitoring that I can use to see further levels of detail?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=miatawnt2b;n374470]I. Solar City's monitoring doesn't appear to be very complete based on what I've seen from others that have SolarEdge. /QUOTE]

Just like the rest of what SolarCity passes off on the uneducated.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by miatawnt2b
      I Solar City's monitoring doesn't appear to be very complete based on what I've seen from others that have SolarEdge. Is there any secondary monitoring that I can use to see further levels of detail?
      Do you own the system?
      if so then you can do with it what you want, like connect the inverter to ethernet and register it with SolarEdge portal but this will disable the Tesla monitoring (as feeble as it is).
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• miatawnt2b
        • Jan 2018

I do indeed own the system. I'm guessing though if I do this it's going to light a fire under Tesla's butt that they can't see the system any longer. No way to install multiple gateways that you know of?

Comment

• adoublee
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2009

I have an 11.375 kW system from Tesla, SolarEdge Inverter with optimizers, 325W panels. Solar City's monitoring doesn't appear to be very complete based on what I've seen from others that have SolarEdge. Is there any secondary monitoring that I can use to see further levels of detail?
          eGauge is the best I've seen, which will allow you to incorporate your consumption as well (you can do this with optional add-on CTs in a SolarEdge system). Not the lowest cost option, but you can do a lot with it including connecting 12 other circuits if you want or with 1-second power updates you can monitor/alter the state of appliances to confirm how much power the contribute to service consumption.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

I do indeed own the system. I'm guessing though if I do this it's going to light a fire under Tesla's butt that they can't see the system any longer. No way to install multiple gateways that you know of?
            no the Tesla system pulls inverter data through a serial port which prevents the solaredge monitoring from working. when you enable the solaredge monitoring it will disable their serial interface access.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by adoublee

eGauge is the best I've seen, which will allow you to incorporate your consumption as well (you can do this with optional add-on CTs in a SolarEdge system). Not the lowest cost option, but you can do a lot with it including connecting 12 other circuits if you want or with 1-second power updates you can monitor/alter the state of appliances to confirm how much power the contribute to service consumption.
              He already has this level with the Tesla system which is pretty much exactly what you are talking about. OP wants more monitoring which from SolarEdge is FAR FAR beyond what a set of CTS will tell you. Like for example individual PV module Watts, Volts, Amps, Grid Voltage, inverter temperature, inverter firmware, etc etc.

Comment

• miatawnt2b
                • Jan 2018

Thank You very much for the help. I'm probably stuck between a rock and a hard place though if I can't do both. Since Tesla won't be able to monitor the system, I'd probably have issues with warranties/etc. I could always call and ask, but probably won't get far with them in getting a real brain on the phone.

Comment

Working...