Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizers SE vs. SMA

Hello everybody,

I am planning and will be installing 10-12 300W panels and have considered micro-inverters but am now more open towards a string inverter with optimizers.

What is the advantage with SolarEdge or SMA? I would have the following options:

SolarEdge:
    - SolarEdge SE3500H HD Wave (or SE3000)
    - SolarEdge P300 optimizers (could use some P600 optimizers to connect to 2 modules instead of just one)

SMA:
    - SunnyBoy 3.6
    - TIGO TS4-R optimizers (one optimizer for each module)
    - Advantage TIGO: compatibility with other inverters and also not required to use for every module (not important in my case as I would need for all or for groups of 2)

If you were in my situation, would you prefer the SE or the SMA option? Also the garage roof is 3m tall and 8m from the house. Once inside the house I have another 10m to the fuse box. Would you install the inverter inside the garage to keep the DC cable distance short or would you prefer to install the inverter inside the house where the temperatures are more constant?

Thank you for your feedback.

The P600 is for commercial installs with 3phase inverters and will not work with the residential single phase inverters.
    Have you checked code where you are located on disconnects? The hdwave inverters are auto rapid shut down so the inverter can be located anyplace but you usually need an AC disconnect located outside per code. Though I do not think you are in the US based in the inverter size you are talking about. Here we have the SE3800h not a 3.5kw version.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

correct, I am in Europe. Given my roof situation with shading I think I will just install one optimizer for each module.

Would one system SE or SMA with TIGO have a significant advantage over the other? I don't see it but maybe I am missing something. I get that the option SMA TS4 / TIGO optimizers allow the system to work without necessarily requiring a SMA inverter and it also works withou the use of optimizers on all modules. But is one system "better" than the other and if so in what regards? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by willingtolearn View Post
        correct, I am in Europe. Given my roof situation with shading I think I will just install one optimizer for each module.

Would one system SE or SMA with TIGO have a significant advantage over the other? I don't see it but maybe I am missing something. I get that the option SMA TS4 / TIGO optimizers allow the system to work without necessarily requiring a SMA inverter and it also works withou the use of optimizers on all modules. But is one system "better" than the other and if so in what regards? thanks.
        SMA bought Tigo to try to catch up to SolarEdge. They have not yet done anything to integrate the systems yet. They are still just as independent as they were before SMA purchased Tigo. SolarEdge has a far superior system and much better integration.

SolarEdge optimizers do MPPT as well ad DC to DC conversion (when needed). SolarEdge has split the inverter into two parts with the MPPT and DC to DC distributed to the optimizers, and the only thing the main inverter does is invert and manage.
        With Tigo the "optimizers" really just help balance the resistance and MPPT and DC - DC conversion is still done at the inverter.

Here is an older paper on the difference. NOTE that SolarEdge has integrated the circuitry to keep the costs down since this time.
        https://matter2energy.wordpress.com/...-vs-solaredge/

Comment

thanks I will read the link now. I am a bit lost when you mention DC-DC conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by willingtolearn View Post
            thanks I will read the link now. I am a bit lost when you mention DC-DC conversion.

SolarEdge has a buck/boost DC to DC converter. This means that they can cut the DC voltage or boost it. This allows the optimizers to get to operating voltage under a much wider range of conditions.

Most inverters have a large DC to DC converter to get the appropriate DC voltage required for the inverter so that it can generate the required AC voltage. The SolarEdge system distributes this capability.

Comment

SolarEdge is better to use if you require monitoring.

There are two ways to use the SMA Tigo optimizers for monitoring.
              Cloud Connect inside SMA inverter (this will disable the Secure Power Supply), Outdoor Cloud Connect unit completely separate from inverter.
              Both should come with a gateway for wireless communication to the TS4-R-O units.

I went with SMA optimizers only on shaded panels with no monitoring.

Comment

Thank you for all the responses. I read the above article and have a better understanding of optimizers and how the two systems work and compare. I think I will end up with SE. thanks.

Comment

Hello, does anyone know why SMA discontinued their microinverters?

Comment

Originally posted by Deltadesign View Post
                    Hello, does anyone know why SMA discontinued their microinverters?
                    They couldn't sell them or make any money with them. The have moved on to optimizers instead.

Comment

Thankyou.

Comment

Working...
                      X