Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcostigan
    • Feb 2018

Advanced Energy Systems GC-1000-SA Manual

I'm an electrician for a school district and we have one of these inverters that has been out of use for years. A student has a senior project and wants to use it - but I can't get any AC output. The manual is long gone and I think if I had one I could figure out what the issue is. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have an electronic copy to share? Thanks!!!
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

I have the manual for standard GC-1000 that is still on line and working

Comment

• C_Heath
      • Feb 2017

Just a test post. Seems I

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Here's the manual.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcostigan
          • Feb 2018

Thanks so much littleharbor!!!

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

That is a 48 volt, grid tie inverter.so configuring solar panels to operate it will require you to use a minimum of 4 series wired 36 cell (12 volt) modules or two 72 cell (24 volt) modules. Not sure if these are still legal for grid tie any more. What is this student's plan for this inverter? Seems you would need an agreement with the POCO to connect with the grid
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcostigan
              • Feb 2018

We have 72 cell panels that the student got donated. The plan is to connect 6 panels and tie it into a 120/208 panel in the school. Obviously it's not going to do a whole lot.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bcostigan
                We have 72 cell panels that the student got donated. The plan is to connect 6 panels and tie it into a 120/208 panel in the school.
                First this is the primary reason I use Module instead of Panel.

Your best bet is to use Micro inverters, unless you can get your hands on two more PV modules.

Also is your school service MSP 208 or 240V (do you have 3 phase power or not? if you have 3 phase 208V then you will be even more restricted on the inverter.

So where are you located? do you know what code requirements you have to meet? Most likely that old inverter does not meet current code requirements.

It doesn't look like it does Arc fault interruption and certainly not rapid shutdown.

You will need a permit, and power company interconnect agreement to use the solar.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• peakbagger
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2010

I would not waste a lot of time with it, the company went out of business due to defective product and excessive warranty claims, they were selling them at a loss in hopes that the costs would drop as the volume went up. (pretty much standard for new tech) One of their former employees that I worked with speculated that what killed them was overloading the input wattage over the rating. Mine is 4 panels total 660 watts and its mounted in cool basement so I definitely am babying it. I ran all four panels leads to a terminal strip in my basement rather than daisy chaining them so when the inverter does die I can reconfigure them quickly.

Some are still running like mine but it is probably better put in a PV museum as an early example of Grid Tied Inverter. .

Comment

• bcostigan
                    • Feb 2018

Thanks again to littleharbor - without the manual I was flying blind. With the aid of the manual I discovered I have a working inverter!

As this is a student project we are doing our best to keep the cost down. I was looking at micro inverters or a 1.5kw Fronius but will stick with the GC-1000-SA for now.

The project is more for demonstration than anything. The building is fed with 3 phase 480. I will be tying the inverter into a 208 panel but as the inverter outputs only 120v I'll be connecting to just one phase.

I'm in Londonderry, NH. As we are a large building (High School) I will be working with the local power utility to insure the installation meets their requirements. The school is on a standby generator with automatic transfer switch. Once we lose voltage (or a phase, frequency, etc) the transfer opens while the generator starts and kicks in 10 seconds later. I'm hoping this will alleviate the rapid shutdown requirement. From what I can see in the 2017 NEC Arc-Fault protection is only required on DC circuits greater than 80 volts - which I will be under.

peakbagger - thanks for the tip on keeping the input down. I was actually going to push it but now I think I'll eliminate 2 of the panels in an attempt to prolong the inverters life.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

This will NOT help with your rapid shut down as it is grid tie not bimodal. It must be on the grid side of the transfer switch

Further yu need to work with the AHC and get a permit in addition to th power company . I do not think this meets your requirements for a permit.

Comment

• peakbagger
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2010

I live up in Gorham and my inverter was on the approved list for PSNH long ago. Last thing I knew once approved always approved. I don't know if NH has adopted the version of the code that requires RSD. SPNHF had a couple of these inverters installed in their original solar building. Its been 10 plus years since I took the tour so the inverters may be long gone but worth a try. (if you haven't taken their tour of the facilities with the central wood chip district heating system and the progression of how "green" architecture has changed over the years its worth getting one).

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by peakbagger
                          I live up in Gorham and my inverter was on the approved list for PSNH long ago. Last thing I knew once approved always approved. I don't know if NH has adopted the version of the code that requires RSD. SPNHF had a couple of these inverters installed in their original solar building. Its been 10 plus years since I took the tour so the inverters may be long gone but worth a try. (if you haven't taken their tour of the facilities with the central wood chip district heating system and the progression of how "green" architecture has changed over the years its worth getting one).
                          If it is installed already it will stay approved, but if it is not you can not install it now or change an installation with out meeting current code.

Comment

Working...