X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by littleharbor
    Is this 0.71% degradation factor based on the STC or the NOCT ?
    I believe it was based on NOCT. I got the factor from a Kyocera engineer directly. I have a snail trail issue that I took up with Kyocera about four years ago...so that was my impetus to set up all these calculations.

The snail trail issue is a non-issue to date, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanS26

The two arrays are a matched set...the only difference is the panel rating. Both oriented due south and at the exact tilt. The blue array was installed exactly two years after the black array. After adjusting for the difference in power output (ie 235 vs 245 watts per panel) I can now calculate the degradation between the two arrays due to the 24 month difference in the age of the panels. I can do this because each array is connect to matching Fronius string inverters.

Using a TED Pro to monitor the output of each array I can make a comparison and calculate the degradation based on age of the panels.

Based on my experience the first year I did see a greater than .71% factor, but in subsequent years the difference has hovered right around the expected .71% difference. I can measure this difference real time based on power output (ie kW) and also by time...day, month, year & installation to date (ie kWh).

The difference to date is within .05% of the expected .71% factor
      Good & detailed info. I believe I understand. FWIW, makes sense to me.

Thank you.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by DanS26

I believe it was based on NOCT. I got the factor from a Kyocera engineer directly. I have a snail trail issue that I took up with Kyocera about four years ago...so that was my impetus to set up all these calculations.

The snail trail issue is a non-issue to date, but I'm keeping my eye on it.
        I have seen a lot of Kyocera panels over the years and can't remember ever seeing snail trails on their cells. It is an odd phenomenon.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• DanS26
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2011

I have seen a lot of Kyocera panels over the years and can't remember ever seeing snail trails on their cells. It is an odd phenomenon.
          Here's a pic of the one panel most affected. As I mentioned earlier, it has not affected production so basically it is a cosmetic issue that is only really noticeable since it is a ground mount.

Snail Trails.JPG

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Odd phenomenon, for sure. That one cell is the most extensive I've seen. Amazing that wouldn't have any effect on output. Having looked at various examples, some almost look like the traces are sinking into the silicon, others look to be cracks. Good thing it's not more common.

Comment

• DanS26
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2011

Odd phenomenon, for sure. That one cell is the most extensive I've seen. Amazing that wouldn't have any effect on output. Having looked at various examples, some almost look like the traces are sinking into the silicon, others look to be cracks. Good thing it's not more common.

I measure the the output of the affected string against its two sister strings in that array about five or six times a year. No noticible or measurable affect so far. Also my TED system will indicate immediately if there is a production falloff between inverters......then it is a simple electrical investigation to find the cause.

If the panel ever does degrade I will replace with a matching panel from my parts inventory.
              Last edited by DanS26; 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Funny, I just bought some used panels today There were some Solar Tech 125 watt modules in the lot. All of them had snail trails. One had worse trails on many of its cells than your Kyoceras. I should have gotten a picture, but forgot.

Comment

• littleharbor
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2016

DSCN4331.JPG Well here's a couple pics of the mega snail trails I was referring to.

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

image_10713.jpg Another​

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

One more.