X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drummer480
    • Jan 2018

SE10000 SolarEdge Arc Fault & Communication issues

Hello,

I have a system consisting of 18 kW panels and 2 qty SE1000 inverters. One of the inverters works great, but the other has nothing but problems. This system is a new installation.

When I first received PTO, everything seemed to work. The installer came out to setup the monitoring service and was only able to get one inverter communicating. Several weeks later, they came back to resolve this and then was only able to have the other inverter communicate. After another visit to the site, they thought one might have a bad com board (won't communicate via Zigbee), but was able to send data from the "bad board" through the other inverter using RS485. We will call this the inverter with the "bad board" for sake of identifying here.

This seemed to work until the next day when the inverter with the bad board shut down with arc fault error 2x96 and 2x97.

Installer came back again and checked all the wiring. Since this inverter has 2 strings, they even tried running just one string at a time. Both separate tests resulted in the arc fault error.

A few days later, I went outside in the early morning and watched the inverter ramp up. It produced power for 25 minutes without issue, but once it reached 800 watts, it tripped the arc fault again.

SolarEdge wants to replace a board (something other than the com board). Wondering if you think this will fix the inverter.

Regarding the com board, I see the <S_OK> periodically, but only for a few seconds at a time...maybe every 15-20 minutes. The other inverter that is connected to Zigbee has the <S_OK> nearly 100% of the time. Does this indicate a problem on the "bad" inverter? Shouldn't it say this all the time? Also, the monitoring data seems to arrive late from the bad inverter. Sometimes 2.5 hours later.

What do you think is going on here?

Thanks for your help!
  • drummer480
    • Jan 2018

Sorry for the typing error. Both inverters are SE10,000

Comment

• JSchnee21
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2017

I assume both inverters are in close physical proximity? So one would expect they should be receiving a similar ZigBee signal from the bridge? Can the bridge support multiple inverters (I don't know)? Or should Comms on your two inverters be wired together (485) with only one Zigbee uplink? Some people seem to have good luck with the ZigBee -- others don't. My installer prefers Cellular as they claim it has the best reliability -- but data uploads are slow and less granular. Is Ethernet or an Ethernet to WiFi bridge an option (many of us use an old AP in "Client" mode)? At least temporarily until the other issues are worked out? I couldn't stand the slowness of the Cellular option and replaced it with a jury-rigged Ethernet to Wifi bridge.

Obviously, your Comms issue is likely separate from the Arc fault. At this point, given your brand new, rather sizeable install, I'd push your installer to just replace the faulty inverter outright rather than diddling about with one part after the other -- since you seem to have two different inverter related issues. They could temporarily swap the good one for the bad one to try and isolate the issue (aka to see if there is a wiring issue with your strings or line taps)

I haven't found the US versions of these documents yet , but there might be some helpful nuggets in here

-Jonathan

Comment

• drummer480
        • Jan 2018

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

The inverters are side by side. I found a page in the SolarEdge manual showing two inverters with Zigbee communicating to a single gateway, so it should be possible.

I definitely think the problem is with the inverter, since the installer tried connecting just one of the two strings (twice to rule out both strings) and the arc fault still tripped.

I don't think they want to connect these strings to the other inverter because then I think the monitoring service might see "additional" panels and add them a second time, but to the other inverter. Not sure if that would happen or not.

The monitoring is just strange. The Zigbee link is flawless and yet the other inverter connected via a hard cable doesn't report often. Go figure!

Just hoping they get this working soon!

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by drummer480
          The monitoring is just strange. The Zigbee link is flawless and yet the other inverter connected via a hard cable doesn't report often. Go figure!
          This is exactly as would be expected. The Arc Fault on the second inverter shuts it down completely for safety. It doesn't report because it is shut down. If you had full monitoring the only report you would see is arc fault.

I suspect the problem is with the installer, poor wiring connections at J-Box and/or ground connections on this array are likely.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• drummer480
            • Jan 2018

SolarEdge pushed a firmware update. Everything is working now. Didn't need any equipment. I guess they must have pushed an update that caused this problem in the first place. Not sure.

Comment

Working...