• Newtron
    • Dec 2017

BMS.charge controller and inverter suggestions

EDITED---Lithium batteries are for not for novices

And 3 0f these (panel)
    KYOCERA KC 158G
    http://www.pro-umwelt.de/solarmodul-...ml?language=en

Was thinking of a mobile power station on a trailer
    I could really use some suggestions on where to go with the charge controller ,inverter ,etc

the batteries are probably 2 to 3 years old but were never used and the voltage was at 3.1 I believe last time i checked.
    power wise would like to run power tools or musical amps and speakers for outdoor concerts.
    I know very little about BMS but have practical and working knowledge of ohm's law and general electrical experience

This is my first journey down a custom configuration and I am looking forward to having a better understanding on how components like inverters can be adapted.
    seems like it might be tough to find an inverter to work in the 19v range would i only be able to use 4 of the batteries

any ideas appreciated
    Last edited by Newtron; 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

First there is no way to use 5 LFP batteries unles you operate at 3.2 volts, loose one. I dare you to find any equipment that operates at 16 volts (5S). Given your lack of knowledge, you have no biz playing with LFP cells. I will not help you hurt yourself or burn your house down. I will let Karrak do that.
    Last edited by Sunking; 12-20-2017, 04:28 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Newtron
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
      First there is no way to use 5 LFP batteries unles you operate at 3.2 volts, loose one. I dare you to find any equipment that operates at 16 volts (5S). Given your lack of knowledge, you have no biz playing with LFP cells. I will not help you hurt yourself or burn your house down. I will let Karrak do that.
      Hi SunKing I appreciate your concern on the burning thing.I plan to set up the entire battery and panels on a metal trailer for transportable power.I am new here,I actually read a few of your post and was considering messaging you for you input.I do know how not to hurt myself or anything else.Just as the power of water,fire,and wind are often under-estimated so as the power of electrons.I am upto the job ,just lacking technical expertise and knowledge of equipment.So I welcome your input and feedback,,,, with it I am sure to be one step closer to understanding and becoming proficient in solar projects as well. So using 4 cells is a start.....now how to get those 3 panels to keep those 4 cells providing 110ac

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Newtron the issue is large format LFP cells are dangerous in inexperienced hands. When you buy Chi-Com cells like Winston, the quality is very low. The problem is compounded with used cells because SOC is all over the place. It takes special equipment and training just to perform the initial balance. You cannot just hook them up and charge then up. No BMS can do that. LFP cells are not a beginners batteries.

There is so much to know, a forum is not the place to learn and well beyond the scope of any forum. We are not talking about a few paragraphs or pages, we are talking a book and you really need to get your feet wet with Flooded Lead Acid batteries. At a minimum you will likely destroy the batteries. At worse a fire you cannot extinguish. You cannot put out a Lithium Ion battery fire. All you the FD can do is try to contain it and let it burn itself out.

I would like to help you, but I cannot. As of now you do not even know enough to ask the right questions. I just do not want the responsibility. What I will do is give you a link to start your journey. Read every tab. One tab will show you just how low of quality your Winston cells are. Every large format cell is listed, and every BMS, and every IC made for lithium batteries. I know David personally and he knows his chit.

Good luck.
        Last edited by Sunking; 12-24-2017, 03:06 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...