Rainforest Eagle 200 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sensij View Post
    Looks like the Local API is still intact. ...
    I'm not seeing how this is crippled in any way, just different.
    Drats, just wrote a rather lengthy post, with some pro's and con's --- but since it had a few links too many, I guess the SPT forum software tossed it into the bit bucket...

In short, local API works pretty well. If you're interested to get stuff from it locally, and know your way around Node-Red, here is a flow to get started using the local API:
    (substitute the stuff inside <..> )
    gist<dot>github<dot>com<slash>HentschelT<slash>36c <no space here>870ffca2649b5ae8f80f94bb5a5a5

Edit: Missed one thing in that flow: The "wifi status" and "device list" triggers will work out of the box. For the rest you'll have to get the "HardwareAdress" for your device by drilling down into the "device list" response to find DeviceList->Device->HardwareAddress. Copy that number that starts with "0x.." (w/o the quotes) and paste that into the "HardwareAdress" tag in the other nodes that are present....

Cheers,
    -Th
    Last edited by captndelta; 12-08-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Registered a couple of days ago and hoping to get some insight into my current plight with an Eagle-200.
      Recently got myself a Eagle 200 and have had nothing but issues with it. Out of the box it wouldn't connect with my meter and had to get RFA to Admin to reset it. After the admin reset it starts reading meter but doesn't display any values in the home screen for Average, Always On & Peak; it just continually displays "loading". The graph operates but is somewhat boring and relatively futile.
      A request to the Admin team to direct route my Eagle-200 to PVOutput has got a single solitary data point with zero value uploaded to PVOutput which updates every 5 minutes with no additional data.
      I was hoping to see what others have done to get their RFA Eagle-200 running right but I cannot gain access to any of the .jpg's, until I imagine my account is released from the moderation queue.
      Sits and waits!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueHornet View Post
        ....I was hoping to see what others have done to get their RFA Eagle-200 running right but I cannot gain access to any of the .jpg's, until I imagine my account is released from the moderation queue. Sits and waits!
        Well, someone released it in the last 4 hours. And here you are.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

If someone uses OpenHAB, I created a local binding for this device. More details here:
          https://community.openhab.org/t/new-...-binding/44448

Cheers,
          -Th

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Well, someone released it in the last 4 hours. And here you are.
            Thanks Mike, but it looks like I might have been wrong as I still can't access any of the jpg's for information. When I click on the jpg's link the web page I'm directed to just draws a blank. I also noticed that some of those jpg's list as only being once - that couldn't be right could it?

Comment

Mike, I approved his posts since they didn't seem spammy, I think he still needs to be approved by the admin to see the jpegs.
              Last edited by sdold; 05-10-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I've been using my Eagle 200 for about 5 years now with my SDG&E smart meters. I am thinking the OP was talking about a newer revision to the Eagle 200, not a new device.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
                  Nice, glad to see they have this product finally available. No worries about accuracy, it is communicating directly with your meter and reports exactly what it sees. You'll need another source of data if you want to separate out generation and consumption, since this only shows what is either imported from or exported to the grid.

A decent setup (usually 1-2% accurate on clear day, worse on cloudy days) would be:

Eagle -> Wattvision -> PVOutput
                  SolarEdge Inverter -> SolarEdge Portal -> PVOutput

Let PVOutput do the math to figure out consumption.
                  Has anyone had their Eagle->Wattvision->PVOutput suddenly stop working? I have the exact setup above, except Enphase Micro-inverter -> Enphase Portal -> PVOutput on the production side. It worked flawlessly for nearly five years, then suddenly stopped two days ago.

I checked each device and connection; it appears the Eagle is talking to the cloud and I can monitor it from the Rainforestcloud.com portal. It appears that the link from Eagle to Wattvision is no longer working, and I tried reconfiguring it as a new device, but Wattvision still doesn't receive any data. The config on the Eagle side to point data to Wattivision is dead simple, there's nothing else I can configure or screw up.

In the last few years, it appears that PVOutput can take data straight from the Eagle via the portal:
                  Eagle -> Rainforestcloud.com -> PVOutput

I tried configuring that in PVOutput, bypassing Wattvision. Oddly, it works fine at five minute intervals overnight when there is no solar production. But as soon as the Enphase starts reporting in the morning, then PVOUtput only shows a random consumption value every 20-30 minutes, with many of the five-minute intervals skipped.

Comment

Here's a screenshot of the consumption (calculated from the utility net meter less production) cutting out in the morning just as the Enphase starts reporting. Evening is the reverse

pvoutput.png
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wattvision seems to be down, not sure if it will come back. I've switched to using Eagle Post, which seems to be working ok. You configure it directly on your rainforest to push to PVoutput.

https://pvoutput.org/help.html#push-eaglepost

Comment

Originally posted by dailo View Post
                        Wattvision seems to be down, not sure if it will come back. I've switched to using Eagle Post, which seems to be working ok. You configure it directly on your rainforest to push to PVoutput.

https://pvoutput.org/help.html#push-eaglepost
                        There is a pvpoutput forum thread here which explains better on how to set this up:
                        https://forum.pvoutput.org/t/wattvision-issues/628/2

Short version:
                        1. on pvoutput, DISABLE Secondary
                        2. On Rainforest Eagle website, remove wattvision from cloud settings
                        2. On Rainforest Eagle website, setup cloud to point to pvoutput (you will need your pvoutput site ID and api-key)

That's it.
                        Last edited by joyjit; 06-23-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

after reading this whole thread i was not sure if the eagle-200 supported eagle push without any intervention by rainforest employees. however, it appears that at some point in the past rainforest did add the ability for end users to configure the push service on an eagle-200 themselves. furthermore it is an improvement over the original eagle in that it seems that you can add multiple cloud services to a single eagle-200 device. the only thing that i have not been able to figure out how to turn off is the push to the rainforest cloud service itself, as that seems to be built-in and non-user configurable.

Comment

Working...
                          X