Delta Solivia Inverter or SolarEdge Inverter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwfan
    • Sep 2017

Delta Solivia Inverter or SolarEdge Inverter?

Upcoming Solar City install, 10.8 kw - 325w panasonic panels, solaredge inverter with optimizers and two powerwall 2's. SC submitted design to me for approval and they changed
    to Delta Solivia Inverter. Never heard of them and know very little. Search online and read the spec sheet. My question to the experience installers and system users which one do I go with?
    I kicked back the design telling SC need do to the change I need time to decide. My roof is complex. Different angles and shading issues from community trees that I can not trim.
    Panels will be installed south, west, east and a few facing north. My city requires 3 foot fireman easment which further reduced panels install on southside.

I want the SolarEdge Inverter with power optimizer because of the difficulties associated with my roof and nearby trees. SC and I have agree to SolarEdge SE10000A-US Inverter with SolarEdge P400-ZEP Power Optimizer. I asked if the Delta Inverter had power optimizers at the solar panels was told no. Do not see any benefit to my system going with Delta Inverter .

Also know the SolarEdge works with the Tesla Powerwall 2's,

Any advice?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Since you ask:

To my experience, that's a pretty std. SC trick. Read your contract and you'll probably find they're allowed to switch materials for "availability" or "design" reasons or some such red herring B.S. If that crap, or something like it is missing from the contract, play hardball with them. If you're lucky, they'll pull out of the deal and you'll be able to find a decent vendor.

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

What JPM said. Glad you caught the change now, not after it was installed. Be firm. Good luck!

Comment

• eml2
        • Sep 2017

If it is the AC version of the Powerwall2, it will work with any inverter since it is AC coupled. I have SE7600A-US and 2 AC Powerwall2. They are installed by a local solar installer, not SC.

Comment

• nwfan
          • Sep 2017

I kicked back on the 1st design proposal from SC. I have weird shape roof that going to require panel orientation south, east and west. I also have so minor shading from community trees that I can't trim, Because of the unique problems I pushed back and insisted on SolarEdge inverter with DC power optimizers, That's what I getting along with 2 powerwall 2's,
          I was surprise that SC tried to push delta string inverter on me. Even with the know roof problems, I guess they have to generate income to pay for the buyout by Tesla,

Comment

• cebury
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Are you purchasing a system from them or buying their power via lease/ppa? If a PPA, their goal is to minimize their upfront costs since they try to standardize the charge per kwh on the backside. You can speculate why then they might choose to replace equipment, maybe they have a special bulk discount rate with the delta strings or they dont want a hassle with support for module level electronics and double with the annoyance of people calling why panel 1 is broken since it is 5wh lower than panel 2 (some will demand panel replacement as they dont understand).

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nwfan
              I kicked back on the 1st design proposal from SC. I have weird shape roof that going to require panel orientation south, east and west. I also have so minor shading from community trees that I can't trim, Because of the unique problems I pushed back and insisted on SolarEdge inverter with DC power optimizers, That's what I getting along with 2 powerwall 2's,
              I was surprise that SC tried to push delta string inverter on me. Even with the know roof problems, I guess they have to generate income to pay for the buyout by Tesla,
              More typical SC antics from what I've seen. Things like this can happen when you deal with the devil.

Comment

• nwfan
                • Sep 2017

Change again, Fire SC. They did not meet my expectations, Now telling me install will not be until sometime in 2018,
                Going with a local installer, Using 360 w panels, Enphase IQ6+ microinverters, Sonnen 16kw battery,
                On target for 2017 install., My roof shape and 3 ft offset require panels facing south, west and north,
                I requested SC install microinverter, they refused, Tried to push Delta on me, Now can't meet schedule install
                date, Should of went with my orig bidder, Which is who I returned to complete the install,

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Change again, Fire SC. They did not meet my expectations, Now telling me install will not be until sometime in 2018,
                  Going with a local installer, Using 360 w panels, Enphase IQ6+ microinverters, Sonnen 16kw battery,
                  On target for 2017 install., My roof shape and 3 ft offset require panels facing south, west and north,
                  I requested SC install microinverter, they refused, Tried to push Delta on me, Now can't meet schedule install
                  date, Should of went with my orig bidder, Which is who I returned to complete the install,
                  Only hope the original installer is local and more established than Larry with a ladder, and/or not one of the national scams or big box/Costco slugs that are not much more than SC clones with respect to quality and integrity.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Just be be aware that you Are set up with three different electronics companies to deal with:

enphase for the micros.
                    Sonnen for the battery but they really just repackage batteries and OutBack inverters.
                    OutBack inverter for the real bimodal control inverter/charger.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...