Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dokken5
    • Sep 2017

Charging 12v Batteries With 36v Solar Panel ADVICE

I have three 12v batteries on my R/V. They are wired parallel because I have to stay at 12v for the R/V system. If these batteries are discharged, can I use a 36v solar panel, wired directly to them, without a charge controller, to charge them?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Yes you can. But, NO you don't want to. Nothing would be regulating the voltage to the batteries, and when "full" they will start overcharging and bubbling all the water away.

If you are asking if you can disconnect them from the RV, wire them in SERIES and then to the panel - maybe. a 36V battery bank needs 45 or 46V to force power back into it (that's why a car alternator is set to about 14V to charge the 12V battery) With solar, and shorter charge periods, a slightly higher voltage is used to push more power in a shorter time,
    As long as you monitor the battery voltage and stop charging when the batteries get to 42v, you will be safer than just letting it go unattended.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dokken5
      • Sep 2017

Nah, they wont have a chance at overcharging. I just want to prolong the charge that they have while I am there.

Comment

• NEOH
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2010

dokken5 ,
        Yes you can.
        You might need to disconnect the PV Panel at night.
        You should disconnect the PV Panel when the SG indicates 100% SOC or when the battery voltage has been at 14.8 Volts for several hours.
        The PV Panel will not be operating anywhere near its Max Peak Power rating - more likely at only 33% of Rated Power at Solar Noon, and worse otherwise!

BTW:
        Friends, don't let friends, connect PV Panels directly to batteries without using an MPPT Controller ...
        Last edited by NEOH; 09-27-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...