Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

From what I can see, you have two distinct problems.

1. What to do with the existing panels to make a perfect system from scratch.
    2. What to do with what you have inherited in the meantime.

Unlike Butch's concept (posts #2 and #6) that you utilize a single battery bank I propose the opposite. I suggest that you split the system up into 'pods' that are completely independent to supply smart inverters that are AC coupled on the output. This appears to be the original 'concept', two pods.

I have simplified the analysis by presuming that each pod is nominally 48V. There is no reason they couldn't be 24V, at least with extremely small pods, but for maintenance purposes you want to keep a 'commonality' of equipment (inverters) and the larger pods demand the 48V and there is no good reason for anything lower. Also, I have limited discussion to FLA batteries. I hear you begging for Lithium, but sometimes if you want to farm you have to have one person to step up to learn about lead. I would rather they learn FLA than me guess at the right charge amperage. The last presumption is that you have 60 290W panels with three spares.

The following table makes some suggestions as to pod size to utilize all 60 panels. (now I see why I haven't seen the table tool used much in posts)
    Panels/Pod Pod Watts C/10 Amps
    60 17,400 363
    30 8700 181
    20 5800 121
    15 4350 91
    12 3480 72
    10 2900 60
    6 1740 36

Concerning the 'what to do with what I got scenario': [presented in a 'thinking out loud' approach]

Considering that you have two 3800 W inverters, I suggest that we look at the 15 panel pods at 4350 Watts. 3800/4350 = 0.81 which seems like a good match. It will provide 4350/48 = 90 amps max charging current. To use your 225Ah batteries we are looking at 4 parallel strings to make that equal to a C/10 charging current. We do not want to go to four parallel battery strings due to balancing issues, plus our charge controller only puts out 80A, so lets look at the 3480W pod.

This will provide 3480W/48V = 72 max charging amps. Three strings of 225 Ah = 675 Ah. So that would be 675 Ah charged by 72 amps = about a C/9.4 charge rate so we're right in the ballpark. This is very attractive.

Since we have panel limited our current we can go oversized on the charge controller/inverter if we desire.

But WAIT. We only have 16 of the 6V 225 Ah batteries to work with. In other words only two strings of 48V which would come out to 450 Ah. A C/10 charge current on that bank is 45 amps. 45A x 48V = 2160W. We don't have a 2160W pod, the 2900W pod gives us 2900/48 = 60A which is a 450 Ah / 60 = C/7.5 charge rate, a touch high. If we used 8 panels we would have 1800W, that works out to 1800/48 = 40 amps. 450 Ah / 40A = a C/11.25 charge rate, a bit wimpy but perhaps a better value for the aged and neglected battery bank.

Whenever we design to a current limit, we have to revisit charging and load. I assume we do not wish to exceed 50% depth of discharge which would be 450 Ah x 48V x 0.5 = 10.8 kWh. The daily harvest with eight panels is 1800W x 5 sun hours = 9kWh per day. Drawing 9kWh per day will be fine as far as the batteries go. Note that drawing it all daily will make it difficult to recharge on solar only after a cloudy day. Up to you how much less you wish to use (or how you'll augment the solar). With the high charge option, harvest is 2900W x 5 sun hours = 14.5kWh, much more than enough to budget the use of the full 10.8 kWh depth of discharge proviso.

So, there you have it. For the moment connect all 16 of your batteries into two strings of 8 in series for 48V 450 Ah. Since we panel limited the current, we can go with one of the current charge controllers and one of the current inverters. Your choice of whether to hook up 8, 9, or 10 panels will be decided by your charging current preference, the condition of the batteries, and the charge controller hookup schema. By the way, if your charge controller does have a 150 V input limit, and your nominal panel Voc is 45 volts, I think I would stick to only two of these panels in series which probably removes the 9 panel option. On the other hand, if temperatures absolutely won't go too low, the nine panel option might be very attractive charging-wise with three strings of three panels in series.

As far as the future, building around the panels from scratch, you need to decide if you want off grid inverters (with chargers) or separate charge controllers. Regardless, the inverter choice should drive the whole system design and the pods to support them built to match. You can see how which battery type/size comes into play in the future is extremely important and expensive and should be a primary consideration in inverter selection. The system pod design should NOT rely on panel wattage to limit charging current (which is what I did to re-use your controllers and inverter) - I have always hated that approach.

Please note that the balanced pods is just one approach, if you run into a equipment blend that suggests two 20 panel pods and two 10 panel pods, or any other combination (even 9 panel), you should go for it.

You asked more things about loads and cloudy days and 'tapping' battery strings, etc. but I wish to see how badly this gets blown out of the water (and to what extent you understand it) before I address that. Last thing I want to do is kill any fish.

I look forward to following any inverter and battery discussion for a "perfect from scratch" solution.

Edit: Ugh, I just realized that his current inverters probably won't handle 48V. I'll add another post addressing what he can do with two 24V inverters if nobody else does. I need something to give me about 24 kV to the groin area every time I type the word 'inverter'.
    Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• AzRoute66
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2017

OK, if the two current inverters will only handle 24V, I would put two strings of four batteries on each, which would utilize all 16 batteries. Each would still have the 450 Ah capacity and desire 45 charging amps. To panel limit the current, we would put 45A x 24V = 1080W / 290 = 3.7 panels per.

So, 4 panels x 290W = 1160W. 1160W / 24V = 48A which will do nicely for a 450Ah / 48A = C/9.3 charge rate. Each of the two pods has 4 panels, one charge controller, one inverter, and 8 batteries wired 4S2P.

Our Depth of Discharge is now 450 Ah x 24V = 10.8 kWh x 0.5 = 5.4 kWh per pod. Harvest is 1160W x 5 sun hours = 5.8 kWh so we need to budget usage at 5.4 kWh per pod.

Hope I didn't miss something drastic in this one too....

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by AzRoute66
        From what I can see, you have two distinct problems.

1. What to do with the existing panels to make a perfect system from scratch.
        2. What to do with what you have inherited in the meantime.

Unlike Butch's concept (posts #2 and #6) that you utilize a single battery bank I propose the opposite. I suggest that you split the system up into 'pods' that are completely independent to supply smart inverters that are AC coupled on the output. This appears to be the original 'concept', two pods.
        Either you have a strange concept of AC coupled or no idea what AC coupled means.

What you are talking about is a DC coupled and STACKED inverters. The problem with this is that for efficiency stacked inverters shut down higher level inverters when load is low enough. Thus some of the batteries would have little use and others would be HIGHLY cycled.

Charge controllers easily stack as well, so having a single battery bank is much more balanced and efficient, it also allows for larger and fewer inverters with higher efficiency.

What this forum needs is an experience rating instead of one based on the number of posts.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

OK, if the two current inverters will only handle 24V,
          There is one inverter at 24V 3.6kw
          Two 80A charge controllers.

I would replace all of it for a 48V with 5 Charge controllers 80a
          One Radian 4kw inverter (larger than current inverter anyway and more efficient)
          4P3S strings each charge controller for 3.48kw per CC
          This leaves 3 modules left over

The Outback CC can limit the charge current to the battery bank as needed.

But before all that I would investigate how this is all set up currently with two 80A CC at 24V something is fishy.
          how are the modules currently combined.

Comment

• AzRoute66
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2017

OK, whether the correct term is stacked or coupled or if the whole concept of two or more inverters working in harmony to supply a common AC output is just impossible then I amend my approach to each inverter powering a different part of the service panel(s) with different circuits. I don't care, the only reason I put myself out there is to be corrected. It is a good way for me to learn.

If you compare my analysis to the previous, I think mine provides for a more tangible discussion table, and might have some information the OP can think about.

I have never claimed either experience or expertise. Let's see your single battery bank, non-AC coupled, non stacked solution which has elements for right now and the future. I might learn even more.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

OK, whether the correct term is stacked or coupled or if the whole concept of two or more inverters working in harmony to supply a common AC output is just impossible then I amend my approach to each inverter powering a different part of the service panel(s) with different circuits.
              AC coupling is when you put a grid tie inverter connected to a bimodal inverter. There is no reason to buy a grid tie inverter for an off grid situation, it adds complexity, cost, and has far less control for charging.

Some inverters can be stacked such that others follow the lead inverter either in phase or out of phase to provide more amps. Better inverter systems allow for the stacked inverters to be shut down when not needed for load. Usually they are on the same battery bank or two battery banks, but not N battery banks.

I don't care, the only reason I put myself out there is to be corrected. It is a good way for me to learn.
              Possibly helps you but doesn't help OP at all having bad info posted by someone seaming to know what they are talking about...
              You could learn more from reading some of the excellent documentation on the OutBack solutions on their web site. OP could learn a bit as well.

If you compare my analysis to the previous, I think mine provides for a more tangible discussion table, and might have some information the OP can think about.
              possibly, possibly it is a waste of time to read. I didn't give a more complete reply as there are too many questions of what the heck is going on to even think about re-engineering the thing.

I have never claimed either experience or expertise. Let's see your single battery bank, non-AC coupled, non stacked solution which has elements for right now and the future. I might learn even more.

I already gave the basic layout 5 CC, configured 4P3S, one 4kw inverter or possibly a 3.6kw, all from OutBack power with a Mate3 to program/control it all.
              Battery size can be determined by the load since the OutBack CC can limit charge current.

Need to know how the modules are currently wired to know if they need to be re-wired but I would expect combiners and fuses would be needed since there are currently only two 80A CC.

Stacking isn't needed as the OP currently has a 3.6kW 24V inverter. You can get a single Radian 8kW if needed or if you really want to stack, stack away, outback is good at that, too.
              It would be DC coupled though.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                Some inverters can be stacked such that others follow the lead inverter either in phase or out of phase to provide more amps.
                Ok, they are the ones that I was thinking of.

You could learn more from reading some of the excellent documentation on the OutBack solutions on their web site.
                Thanks. Headed there now, tired of getting tripped up by what I think I know about inverters that is just plain wrong. Links or other guidance would be helpful to make sure I read exactly what you expect me to. I doubt I will see anything that would make me prefer a 3800 Ah single battery bank, but I won't know until I read it.

The classic definition of AC coupling is just to capacitively reject the DC component of a signal. Since I knew it must a different connotation for this field I just tried to take it from the context I've seen it used. My bad.

Got anything for the OP besides to start preparing a cost estimate for his fund-raiser?
                Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-21-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Look at how the power gets from solar to the battery. If it is DC all the way from solar to batter then you have DC coupling
                  if the power goes from DC to AC and back to DC then there is AC coupling happening, and can be thought of as two inverters in series, one of which is always bimodal.

Stacking is just having multiple inverters connected in parallel, they can be grid tie or bimodal.

Comment

• adionne
                    • Sep 2017

WOW! Lots to digest here! And I am absolutely grateful to all of you. Now you get an idea what is going through my mind reading all these books on solar! So far the solar installation for dummy as been the best book i have read and I understand a lot more of what all of you are talking about. I am a control system designer and work with PLC, solar is a new thing! The desire at the DR farm. is to create a trade school for carpentry and also electrical. My hope, going back and forth, is to train someone in the maintenance of these array and everything else electrical on that farm. There is no eye wash station, hydrometer, distilled water and the room is not ventilated etc. In regards to these ion batteries, I got sold /mislead by one gentleman with an air conditioner running on Tesla ion batteries. It looks so compact and good! Well Tesla does not sell these batteries if they dont maintained them.

And I got the point about the difficulty in using them thanks to you guys!

I hope to design with 48 vdc in mind (wire size and capacities) using the golf cart batteries because of their availability in the Dominican Republic. Believe it or not, no one have a clue on how and what they installed on that roof! So I just know that there are 63 panels and that someone has installed the mppt and inverters tapping on the center of the 24 vdc batteries to get 12 vdc. Not sure who has given birth to this. The cable where so hot!

I have installed ground rods and started grounding the inverters to be ale to install GFIC for the pump around the fish tanks. I left the gounding alone on the DC side and the solar panel. One schematic recommended to ground the positive???? There is a lot of work and know how needed to make what is there electrically safe. Many things that hence many things needs to be done before installing the proper equipment. Next I have to go on tha roof an see what they use for connectors. The wire sizing is totally wrong for the load. Gee all have been done (no insult meant there) the dominican way.

My unsdertanding is that the existing MPPT (very similar to the Outback) have a voltage (150 vdc) and amp limit (80). I see from that 3 X 48 vdc open collector) = 144 vdc in series then do a parralel connection up to 80 amps which is not needed. I agree that 9 panels makes sense for charging. I like this idea because i would like to create one small array for the essential like the pumps and the fan for the chicken coop. I like to achieve a load supply of 20a(h) for a few days. That would be 960 a(h??? total that needs to be stored. ( not confiden t with my math yet) AZroute 66 has proposed that. The batteries will need to be reconfigured. The DC to AC inverters are 24 vdc max. The Mppt are ok for 48 vdc.But because of these existing inverter, 24vdc needs to be used. So i will see if I can replace these inverters. I am going there early November .The situation is really bad there because of the Huricanes. Fortunatly, the farm has not been damaged!

Thank you so much for your help!. I am not finish my dummy reading which is my priority. I am also pushing the generous people that have donated these panel to give me more information on how they have mounted and connected these panels. Its not a good time right now to ask the Dominican people about solar installation. There cities are flooded...

I am happy that I have found your forum.and grateful for you knowledge even if you disagree. I enjoy this dialog very much and you have helpe me a lot!

Andre

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by adionne
                      WOW! Lots to digest here! And I am absolutely grateful to all of you. Now you get an idea what is going through my mind reading all these books on solar! So far the solar installation for dummy as been the best book i have read and I understand a lot more of what all of you are talking about. Andre
                      A good understanding of the basics and then a read of more basic stuff such as what's in the Dummies book will help make a lot of the other very good information in this thread a lot more understandable. Without the basics under your belt trying to understand some of what's in this tread can be a bit like trying to get into an elevator that's already gone up 4 ft. Use the book as a step ladder.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2017

I am happy that I have found your forum.and grateful for you knowledge even if you disagree.
                        Butch and I didn't disagree much. I was trying to focus on what you can do with the pile of stuff you inherited, and show how to bring more panels online in a incremental manner. His focus was more on what would be a good system that utilizes the whole panel array and scraps the other stuff. I am not a fan of his single battery bank solution, but I definitely defer to his experience and judgement on that for now.

You can still increase with what you have with more/better batteries, but if you really want that woodshop, then your focus on new 48V inverter(s) is the right first step to bringing it all online. The batteries will be the biggest expense no matter what.
                        Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• adionne
                          • Sep 2017

Got it! I hope to have more accurate question like source of supplier, choice of inverter and other component. For now until I understand everything you guys wrote i am back to the dummy!

Thanks a million

Andre

Comment

• AzRoute66
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2017

[...] My unsdertanding is that the existing MPPT (very similar to the Outback) have a voltage (150 vdc) and amp limit (80). I see from that 3 X 48 vdc open collector) = 144 vdc in series [...]
                            No reason to skimp on the math. Your Voc is 45.6V, not 48, for a total of 136.8V. The reason I bring that up is that if you apply the temperature adjustment (which I urged you to do), you find that the panel 0.33% / degree C will bring you only one degree C clear of the DR historical low of -3.5 degree C. So, three panels in series is technically OK, it is just that you should know that it is OK by doing the math.

Comment

• NEOH
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2010

To me, it looks the like the system was originally two completely independent systems ...
                              1) Two completely independent PV Arrays: 30 PV Panels ( 10P3S ) and 33 PV Panels ( 11P3S )
                              2) Two completely independent Battery Charge Controllers
                              3) Two completely independent Battery Banks of 8 x 6 Volt Batteries wired as 2P4S = 24 Volts each
                              3) Two completely independent DC-to-AC Inverters

Let's call the two systems the Left-Side and the Right-Side as seen hanging on the wall.

On the Left-Side:
                              1) The PV Cable entering from PV Array #1, wired as 10P3S or 11P3S
                              2) The Wave Battery Charge Controller
                              3) The 8 x 6V Battery Bank, was wired as 2P4S = 24 Volts
                              4) The DC-to-AC Inverter ( FAILED )

On the Right-Side:
                              1) The PV Cable entering from PV Array #2, wired as 11P3S or 10P3S ( NOT USED )
                              2) The Wave Battery Charge Controller ( FAILED )
                              3) The 8 x 6V Battery Bank, was wired as 2P4S = 24 Volts
                              4) The DC-to-AC Inverter

63 PV Panels TOTAL = ( 10P x 3S ) + ( 11P x 3S )

Originally, it was two very similar systems, running side-by-side.
                              But then two devices have failed and those devices were disconnected.

The Left-Side DC-to-AC Inverter has failed and it was disconnected.
                              The Right-Side Battery Charge Controller has failed and it was disconnected, along with its PV string!

So now what ?
                              ===========
                              The Right-Side Charge Controller and its ( 30 or 33 ) PV Panels are now "dead" / disconnected.
                              The Left-Side Charge Controller and its ( 33 or 30 ) PV Panels were then "jumpered" to both Battery Banks, making one large Battery Bank of 4P4S = 24 Volts

The Right-Side DC-to-AC Inverter is supplying all of the AC Power from the entire Battery Bank 4P4S = 24V
                              The Left-Side DC-to-AC Inverter is now "dead" / disconnected

That is what is looks like to me.
                              Last edited by NEOH; 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2017

NEOH Wow. Your eyes are definitely better than mine. Even had I zoomed it all in I doubt I would have noticed/deduced all of that. All I saw was that it was two parallel systems originally. Very good info.
                                Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-22-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...