One of my 3 SolarEdge inverters is down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my 3 SolarEdge inverters is down

Hello, I have 62 panels connected to three inverters. The SolarEdge SE3800 inverter which is connected to 15 panels hasn't generated any power in September and probably much longer (how can I tell when it went down)? I noticed it had a fault light on so I turned it off for a few second then turned it back on. Now it is stuck in a "waking up count down" that keeps repeating.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas what I should try?

Patrick

If the inverters are connected to the network, you should be able to tell from the portal data when it went down, and also see if any error codes were stored. How long has it been in service? If your installer is still around, I'd start there, but otherwise, get in touch with SolarEdge directly.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      If the inverters are connected to the network, you should be able to tell from the portal data when it went down, and also see if any error codes were stored. How long has it been in service? If your installer is still around, I'd start there, but otherwise, get in touch with SolarEdge directly.
      Thanks for the quick response. I don't have the "reporting" tab that some people have so I think the only way I can see date is if I click on daily/weekly/monthly. Am I wrong?

Comment

If it was an arc fault or other transient error, you can clear it by turning off the AC and DC for a good long time (15 min) and then do a restart and immediately after it finishes its initial self-test, knock on the panel near the display to initiate clearing the faults.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by preilly44 View Post
          Hello, I have 62 panels connected to three inverters. The SolarEdge SE3800 inverter which is connected to 15 panels hasn't generated any power in September and probably much longer (how can I tell when it went down)? I noticed it had a fault light on so I turned it off for a few second then turned it back on. Now it is stuck in a "waking up count down" that keeps repeating.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas what I should try?

Patrick
          First thing I'd do is call the vendor. Seems likely things are still under warranty. Besides, fooling with it may lead to warranty problems.

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
            If it was an arc fault or other transient error, you can clear it by turning off the AC and DC for a good long time (15 min) and then do a restart and immediately after it finishes its initial self-test, knock on the panel near the display to initiate clearing the faults.
            lol. Seriously? I can understand powering down for a reset but the equivalent of 'spit in the back and hit it'?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post
              lol. Seriously? I can understand powering down for a reset but the equivalent of 'spit in the back and hit it'?
              Unfortunately, - yes, seriously. Some take a knock/tap on the cabinet as an input device. After deciding that multiple flashing patterns on a couple of multi-colored LEDs was the dumbest output scheme that could possibly be arranged, they had to work on the input side.

Comment

There is a vibration sensor to detect a "rap" on the panel, as a input, that consumers would not know, but the service tech does. Like on my dishwasher with "hidden buttons" under the membrane switch overlay, (press between Rinse and Heated Dry" to access the service menu)
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                  [...] that consumers would not know, but the service tech does. [...]
                  Unless, of course, they read the user manual. Pretty sure that is the way I learned about it.

Comment

it's actually common 'input' for inverters- my SMA inverters have it too.

Comment

Yea, seriously. Even if not seriously, where's the harm, provided the blow is not with a hammer or does damage ?

The old story: A large piece of rotating equipment is not meeting performance specs. All the best engineers are stumped. So, they call the original design engineer out of retirement. He's a crusty old bastard. Signs on for a $100 K up front consulting fee. Shows up, looks around, says "hit it here 4 times with a 5 lb. hammer." They do so and performance instantly picks up to spec. They bitch about the $ 100K fee.

Mike's information about hidden places to push and the value of periodic perturbations seems analogous to the retired engineer's advice, except Mike's advice was free. Besides, none of us is as smart as all of us. Who hasn't whacked something to get it working again ? I sure have. It's actually worked 1X/a while.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                        Yea, seriously. Even if not seriously, where's the harm, [...] Mike's information about hidden places to push and [...]
                        Yeah, it's all in good fun until the fat fingered consumer accidentally presses the 'hidden' button and puts it into an unintended maintenance/service mode and wonders what the heck is going on.

Comment

Along the same lines-I also have a fault code showing with red light blinking.
                          Set up is Sun Power inverters 5200 and 3200 and the 3200 was showing the fault code 1000 0000 0200 that in the manual says AC under voltage fault. I followed the instructions and powered down for re-set and now it reads fault code 1000 0000 0600
                          There is no explanation for that # fault code in the manual only 0800 & 0400----has no 0600
                          0800 reads AC sense
                          0400 reads AC over voltage fault
                          Gave it whack after reading above and no clue what to do
                          I appreciate the answers in advance.

Comment

Working...
                          X