No announcement yet.

VV, VA, and PF.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is on reason why I think batteries confused me.
    Electrons are negatively charged(-1). Current is the flow of electrons, in joules/sec or amps. How these negatively charged electrons are emitted from a source marked positive just ain't right. The post marked neg seems like a likely place to find electrons, which would seek the positive terminal. Nope, negative seeks negative, or ground really. Just go with it.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Comment

Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
      Here is on reason why I think batteries confused me.
      Electrons are negatively charged(-1). Current is the flow of electrons, in joules/sec or amps. How these negatively charged electrons are emitted from a source marked positive just ain't right. The post marked neg seems like a likely place to find electrons, which would seek the positive terminal. Nope, negative seeks negative, or ground really. Just go with it.
      electrons flow from negative to positive in the metal wires connected to the battery. Just by convention it is commonly accepted the current flows from positive to negative- it makes 0 difference for circuit calculations as along as you're consistent with current direction. The current here is just some abstract concept used to describe the process. Unfortunately the most common case of current is the flow of electrons in metals therefore this situation causes confusion at the beginning. It confused hell out of me when I was 14 yo .

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

electrons flow from negative to positive in the metal wires connected to the battery. Just by convention it is commonly accepted the current flows from positive to negative- it makes 0 difference for circuit calculations as along as you're consistent with current direction. The current here is just some abstract concept used to describe the process. Unfortunately the most common case of current is the flow of electrons in metals therefore this situation causes confusion at the beginning. It confused hell out of me when I was 14 yo .
        Since they didn't know which way the particles were flowing, they took a guess that turned out to be
        wrong. It makes no difference as long as you are completely consistent in methodology. Bruce Roe

Comment

That has been my conclusion. Convention has left me to no longer think about what's going on with the battery, but rather "what does it do if I do this" and "where do I put this fuse" and such. Time, Gravity and heck infinity itself are more comprehensible.
          900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Comment

Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
            ....Time, Gravity and heck infinity itself are more comprehensible.
            Just think of Gravity as the opposite of Comedy, Works for me.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X