X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by liteyear98

Sun Eagle - Thanks, I have seen these and they seem good for smaller applications.

I liked the one in OP because it did not require a ring terminal - just cut, peel, insert and torque. It seemed like it was more durable and would provide less resistance.

I just want sure how those would hold up with a heavy cable occasionally putting stress on them
    I understand. The wire connection needs to be both tight and yet can handle any stress put on it.

I also have one of those DC breakers which I use as a disconnect switch between my CC and batteries. There is also an inline fuse similar to that Blue Sea one I showed.

Here is a picture of my DC breaker.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

This post IS the best answer......

Thank You!
      Please feel free to use the "Like" button beneath posts you find valuable, especially from newer forum members who haven't established much of a reputation yet.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• liteyear98
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by sensij

Please feel free to use the "Like" button beneath posts you find valuable, especially from newer forum members who haven't established much of a reputation yet.
        Thanks for the tip
        [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/michaelsdiysolarproject/"]My Web Site a work in progress[/URL]

Comment

• DrLumen
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2017

This post IS the best answer......

The fuse block in your car allows blade or glass fuses that range from fractions of an amp to 20+ amps. In the case of a specific range, the blade fuses only external difference is the color of the fuse or the amp rating engraved on the end of the glass fuse.
          This makes the most sense - So you need to know what circuit requires based on wire capability and current draw to determine the correct fuse for the job.
          It also helps me understand that you can use different fuses even though they may not be the right dimensions or amperage.
          Thank You!
          Thank you. Glad to help.

Comment

• cebury
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

This forum has its share of solar installers, DIY types, professionals in electrical and engineering fields who are hobbyists but able to contribute their knowledge. This is not a forum like HVAC-Talk or Mike Holt, owned and operated by industry professionals for the benefit of professionals, so please don't expect the same kind of technical vetting. Especially on topics of safety, you'll find a lot of caution in the responses, because no one wants you to misunderstand or misapply advice that is given and find yourself in a bad way. There is a basic level of electrical awareness and safety practice that must be understood before you get too far into your solar project, and if your questions or comments demonstrate too much ignorance of that, it isn't reasonable to expect this community to fix that for you.
            Awesome. You guys really need to fix the sig length and let SensiJ (or Mods) use this paragraph in it.

Comment

• liteyear98
              • Jul 2011

Um yeah, Peter (Lumburg Style).....

"and if your questions or comments demonstrate too much ignorance of that, it isn't reasonable to expect this community to fix that for you"

I think calling people dumb kinda turns them off from asking and learning. Don't you think?
              It's almost like that would say... You see my signature block? Yeah, we know you are here trying to learn and get smart, but you are just too dumb for us to help you out.... So why not go on out there and and Eff your self up or burn some **** down?

I will pass on that recommendation and assume others would as well - including the mods

When I look for quality feedback / guidance it is from guys that know something.... like Sun Eagle, SK, mike90250, etc.....

Attached Files
              [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/michaelsdiysolarproject/"]My Web Site a work in progress[/URL]

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

Um yeah, Peter (Lumburg Style).....

"and if your questions or comments demonstrate too much ignorance of that, it isn't reasonable to expect this community to fix that for you"

I think calling people dumb kinda turns them off from asking and learning. Don't you think?
                It's almost like that would say... You see my signature block? Yeah, we know you are here trying to learn and get smart, but you are just too dumb for us to help you out.... So why not go on out there and and Eff your self up or burn some **** down?

I will pass on that recommendation and assume others would as well - including the mods

When I look for quality feedback / guidance it is from guys that know something.... like Sun Eagle, SK, mike90250, etc.....
                No one called you dumb. You asked whether a fuse block advertised to work on a range of fuse sizes would in fact work on those sizes. That kind of question suggests an electrical ignorance that more experienced community members will recognize and treat with caution.

I'm glad you got your basic question answered. The next question I think you are leading to is how to determine what fuse and wire size is appropriate for your circuit? The fast answer is "just follow the charts", but I've held off on typing that because I thought you would appreciate more of the process that goes into determining OCPD and conductor size in general, but it takes time to write it out properly here when no assumption can be made about the reader's minimum experience level. If you'd rather I just keep it to myself, so be it.
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• liteyear98
                  • Jul 2011

No one called you dumb. You asked whether a fuse block advertised to work on a range of fuse sizes would in fact work on those sizes. That kind of question suggests an electrical ignorance that more experienced community members will recognize and treat with caution.

I'm glad you got your basic question answered. The next question I think you are leading to is how to determine what fuse and wire size is appropriate for your circuit? The fast answer is "just follow the charts", but I've held off on typing that because I thought you would appreciate more of the process that goes into determining OCPD and conductor size in general, but it takes time to write it out properly here when no assumption can be made about the reader's minimum experience level. If you'd rather I just keep it to myself, so be it.
                  OK then, I am not dumb, just ignorant of some things, as all are. (Well, I think some people think they know it all)

Walk up to a stranger, call them ignorant after they ask a question and see what kind of response you get. Maybe in California that is how it is done, but where I come from you take the time to help someone out without insulting them when a question is asked of you. It is called common courtesy and respect. Serving instills this.....

I have followed the charts, and I have read and re-read much information. That is how I know that fuse (OCPD) and conductor size (Wire Gauge) in conjunction with current draw (AMPs) determine what fuse can be allowed into a circuit. So please do keep it to yourself, I would prefer to get usefull information from those I mentioned earlier.

So I guess there will be no more questions this post counselor.

I have attached a form for you if you need it (I already filled mine out and sent it in)

Have a great Labor Day!!

Butt Hurt.jpg

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

OK then, I am not dumb, just ignorant of some things, as all are. (Well, I think some people think they know it all).......
                    Sadly, we don't know what areas folks store their ignorance in. So we have to make them answer a bunch-o-questions before we can narrow it down and be able to direct them best.

if a poster comes with a clearly defined question, that's really easy for us to answer.

Sort of like the fellow just here from MIT that has some sort of solar PV survey for folks to answer. Sadly, the survey will be nearly useless because he has no idea what questions to ask

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...