Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdwats
    • Jul 2017

I should probably know better by now, but can you use this 200 watt panel
    (https://www.acosolar.com/acopower-20...saAqsrEALw_wcB) . Amps and volts look ok.
    in place of two 100 watt panels in an array? It seems it would be dummied down to a 100w?
    I am told they are half the price if you get big ones. And I do need more in a bit for 800W total. Should have have bought 250s to start(50W free)
    Last edited by Gdwats; 08-29-2017, 04:34 PM.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Gdwats
      I should probably know better by now, but can you use this 200 watt panel
      (https://www.acosolar.com/acopower-20...saAqsrEALw_wcB) . Amps and volts look ok.
      in place of two 100 watt panels in an array? It seems it would be dummied down to a 100w?
      I am told they are half the price if you get big ones. And I do need more in a bit for 800W total. Should have have bought 250s to start(50W free)
      Yes, that is a 24 V panel, with 72 cells, and will be close to electrically equivalent to two 12 V, 36 cell, 100 W panels in series. Also, yes, buying 60 cell or 72 cell panels tends to be much less expensive per W than buying the 12 V panels you've used so far.

Please don't lose track of the need for overcurrent protection in your system. Every connection that can trace directly back to the battery needs to be fused or protected with a breaker. The MRBF dual terminal blocks sold by Blue Sea Systems that mount directly to the battery terminal posts are a nice option when you are only connecting a charge controller and inverter. They can also be a good choice when you limit yourself to just two connections to the battery... one from the charge controller, and one to a load distribution block (which might have additional fusing for each load).

How do you plan to wire in both inverters? Are you using some kind of distribution block?

Also, is the system going to be floating, or grounded? Have you sketched out a drawing or schematic yet?
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Gdwats
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by sensij

Yes, that is a 24 V panel, with 72 cells, and will be close to electrically equivalent to two 12 V, 36 cell, 100 W panels in series. Also, yes, buying 60 cell or 72 cell panels tends to be much less expensive per W than buying the 12 V panels you've used so far.

Please don't lose track of the need for overcurrent protection in your system. Every connection that can trace directly back to the battery needs to be fused or protected with a breaker. The MRBF dual terminal blocks sold by Blue Sea Systems that mount directly to the battery terminal posts are a nice option when you are only connecting a charge controller and inverter. They can also be a good choice when you limit yourself to just two connections to the battery... one from the charge controller, and one to a load distribution block (which might have additional fusing for each load).

How do you plan to wire in both inverters? Are you using some kind of distribution block?

Also, is the system going to be floating, or grounded? Have you sketched out a drawing or schematic yet?
        I'll get a 200W next time, thanks.

fusing/breaker protection, I have none yet and am kinda clueless there other than making sure I don't approach any limits. I am starting to get some powered going though. I will look into that BSS unit.

I was thinking I could hook both a 1500W and a 300W to the same posts of the Fla batteries, or the BSS unit you mentioned, no?

what is a load distribution block?
        thanks

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

You have a 1500 W continuous, 3000 W surge inverter, 24 V battery. That is 62.5 A continuous, 125 A surge (@100% inverter efficiency). Samlex actually includes a table and notes explaining their OCPD recommendations.

When you know what size wire is being used to hook up the 1500 W inverter, you can make a better call on what size fuse/breaker you'll need. Note that Samlex's recommendations are based on conductors with an insulation rating of 105 deg C, using ISO 10133 ampacity.

You'll need to go through the exercise for each of the components that is connected to the battery. The 300 W inverter can use finer wire and a smaller fuse, while the charge controller needs a 40 A fuse for the 8 AWG

samlex pst1500.JPG

samlex notes.JPG

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Connecting both an inverter and a charge controller to a battery, is a excellent application for the blue seas dual MRBF fuse holder
            40A on one post, 300A on another.
            Fuses sold seperatly
            Easily and economically satisfies ABYC 7 circuit protection rule by mounting on a 3/8 battery post, battery switch or bus bar.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Gdwats
              • Jul 2017

Thanks all! Just great info. I imagine that chart is in my pst1500 manual, but it helps a lot to have someone point out it's importance. I tend to brush over manuals too quickly. That blue unit looks simple enough, thanks again.

Comment

• Gdwats
                • Jul 2017

Looks like 82.5% from the panels, is that good or bad?:
                3sx3s arrays(strings?) of 100W for 600W tot.
                Noon: 45V at panels x 11A = 495W. 495/600=0.825 on the panel side of controller. 16A going to batteries @24V when bank is at 26V full(ish).

Comment

Working...