X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sensij
    nice... but why limit yourself to binary? With the bypass diodes in most panels, you
    have quaternary states to work with.
    Now we are down to potholders and complex test routines? Does it matter, can we use a panel with a section being
    bypassed? Actually I have considered that myself; have 2 marginal panels that could serve as one good one if the
    weak columns were shorted or wired out. Haven't found the ideal app for them yet. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by bcroe
      .....When I bought my 62, an old time mechanic told me to get some appropriate tools to work
      on it. He was right, too bad they never taught that in school. Here is my 79 resting on my
      most expensive "car" tool. Bruce Roe
      The lift tool or the shop tool ? Both are nice.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
        The lift tool or the shop tool ? Both are nice.
        Thanks, I learned a couple things about tools. They generally pay for themselves the first time you use them.
        If a job isn't going well, its time to step back and see if you need to use a different approach with better tools.

After I started doing my own transmissions, it was time to get a car lift. That new lift was less than $4K,
        installed it myself. A couple trans jobs and its paid for; meantime all manor of stuff is so much easier and
        cleaner. And it extends the years into retirement I can continue to do heavy repairs,. The building used to
        be for motor home storage. Bruce Roe

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

I wonder how many individually optimized systems have been mis-mapped from day 1, and have never been discovered as such.

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Originally posted by AzRoute66
            I wonder how many individually optimized systems have been mis-mapped from day 1, and have never been discovered as such.
            or even more interesting- what percentage was mapped correctly? There was not much incentive to ensure what was where as long as all of them worked and most of them did at the beginning.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

It is usually pretty easy to tell if they are done wrong by playing through the day and watching start up and shut down order.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• AzRoute66
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                It is usually pretty easy to tell if they are done wrong by playing through the day and watching start up and shut down order.
                For real??? Wow. That would have lost me a bar bet. I mean, they are all in the same plane, and quite some distance from the sun.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

For real??? Wow. That would have lost me a bar bet. I mean, they are all in the same plane, and quite some distance from the sun.
                  Sure from the sun but the shadows are cast by local objects including the horizon, trees, even the module to the east.
                  Once you have seen a few solaredge sites in play back much less a few thousand of them it is pretty simple and intuitive.

i have gotten diagrams from installers that are backwards or not clear and it is easy for me to fix. Most installers on their own would just leave the layout completely off and not bother putting them in wrong.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...