Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth the money for the inverter extended warrantee ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth the money for the inverter extended warrantee ?

Just got the new HD Wave inverter from SolarEdge up and running. It comes with a 12 year warrantee and for an additional $120 up to 20 years. $192 takes it to 25 Years. Although $120 is not much money I wonder if I get 12 years out of the inverter that technology would advance to the point I would want to upgrade anyway. Does anyone get the extended warranties ?

Originally posted by jmargo View Post
    I wonder if I get 12 years out of the inverter that technology would advance to the point I would want to upgrade anyway.
    Well the inverter is already 99% efficient. I don't there isn't much room for advancement there.

Personally on the extended warranty I never get them though. That is a personal decision, I have just determined that I save more than enough on all the things in my house by never getting them to more than cover the occasional replacement on any one thing. Some people sleep a lot better with the warranty though.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by jmargo View Post
      Just got the new HD Wave inverter from SolarEdge up and running. It comes with a 12 year warrantee and for an additional $120 up to 20 years. $192 takes it to 25 Years. Although $120 is not much money I wonder if I get 12 years out of the inverter that technology would advance to the point I would want to upgrade anyway. Does anyone get the extended warranties ?
      I wouldn't waste my money. The very fact they are priced to guarantee a return to the seller puts me off. If you're worried that something you have enough faith in to buy is going to fail, earmark some other assets for future use and collect the earnings on that asset until the inverter fails. Insurance is like a bet you're hoping you lose. It's a money maker for the seller. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be offering it. Buyers are on the wrong side of the bet.

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

. Buyers are on the wrong side of the bet.
          Especially that far out, IMO,.with risks of a company not being able to fulfill 20/25 year warranties.

I am with you jmargo, by then upgrading to the latest greatest may be your desire anyway, not a replacement with whatever they give you. Also, that latest technology may not even be SolarEdge in 13+ years, who knows. But 120 bucks is tempting compared to the total spent on the inverter.

Comment

One of the things I like about SMA is they allow you to buy the extended warranty up until the original warranty expires. Even if you don't buy the warranty, it tells you something about their confidence in their product.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I never buy extended warranties on anything. They seldom cover a repair in the way you expect and always seem to be loaded with loopholes and fees. You will also find long delays to actually replace or repair the covered failure if they can't find a way to get out of the agreement.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                One of the things I like about SMA is they allow you to buy the extended warranty up until the original warranty expires. Even if you don't buy the warranty, it tells you something about their confidence in their product.
                OP has a SolarEdge inverter.
                SolarEdge comes with a 12 year warranty that can be extended to 20 or 25 years within the first two years.

SMA comes with a 5 year warranty that can be extended within the first 5 years up to a maximum of 20 years.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                X