GFCI Breaker Tripped..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Moisture failure. you have moisture somewhere bleeding current.
    No. I already explained what was going on. See post 6.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      Op asked the same question in another thread. The transformerless inverter has ground fault protection built in. When the inverter starts up, part of the self test routine will verify that the protection is functional, but if there is an external gfci on that circuit that doesn't know a test is happening, it will trip. OP should not have used a gfci breaker to back feed into the service panel.
      Judging by the pattern of breaker trips, I think you're spot on.. but I'd like some clarification...

You say "when the inverter starts up"... What does that mean exactly? Are you saying when its first powered on? Or are you saying when the panels start making light in the morning and the inverter senses that power it goes through a test cycle on its own?

I'm confused because it seems to me that as long as the inverter is connected to the grid, the power to it never turns off for it to turn back on "start up"...

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post

Judging by the pattern of breaker trips, I think you're spot on.. but I'd like some clarification...

You say "when the inverter starts up"... What does that mean exactly? Are you saying when its first powered on? Or are you saying when the panels start making light in the morning and the inverter senses that power it goes through a test cycle on its own?

I'm confused because it seems to me that as long as the inverter is connected to the grid, the power to it never turns off for it to turn back on "start up"...
        I can talk about SolarEdge specifically, but I think most inverters are the same. They go into a low power "night time mode" overnight, reducing their idle draw to just a couple watts. When power is detected on the DC input in the morning (or perhaps triggered by some sort of date/time/sunrise algorithm), even before that power is enough to push out any output, it wakes the inverter up so it can begin its daily self-tests and get ready to begin producing.

With my power meter, I can clearly see a several minutes of reverse current (consuming from the grid) from the inverter in the morning when it wakes up, and at night, when it goes through its shutdown routine. The current draw in nighttime mode is too low to be measured directly by my meter, although I can detect the few Wh that get consumed.
        Last edited by sensij; 08-17-2017, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Whenever I get around to inverters, I am going to have to unlearn a lot. I thought inverters only went to 'sleep' when the load was zero, I didn't know that they knew when sunrise was or when the DC input was being supplied by the panels.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
            Whenever I get around to inverters, I am going to have to unlearn a lot. I thought inverters only went to 'sleep' when the load was zero, I didn't know that they knew when sunrise was or when the DC input was being supplied by the panels.
            I'm talking UL 1741 transformerless grid-tie inverters. Not applicable comments to most off-grid stuff.

Comment

In a few more years, they'll know what beer you drink too....

Comment

sensij, By the time I get around to inverters, I will have probably aged to the point where I can't remember my preconceived notions of what they do. Thanks.

Comment

I can talk about SolarEdge specifically, but I think most inverters are the same. They go into a low power "night time mode" overnight, reducing their idle draw to just a couple watts. When power is detected on the DC input in the morning (or perhaps triggered by some sort of date/time/sunrise algorithm), even before that power is enough to push out any output, it wakes the inverter up so it can begin its daily self-tests and get ready to begin producing.

With my power meter, I can clearly see a several minutes of reverse current (consuming from the grid) from the inverter in the morning when it wakes up, and at night, when it goes through its shutdown routine. The current draw in nighttime mode is too low to be measured directly by my meter, although I can detect the few Wh that get consumed.
                  Thank you.. That explains a lot...

It is my opinion that the technical docs don't adequately explain a lot of the details of these devices.

Comment

they wouldn't sleep if the load is 0 or DC input is 0 for short time but they can 'memorize' time when DC was off for the night and make sure they do housekeeping inside that window.

Comment

Battery inverters sleep (search mode) when the load is zero.
                      Grid tie inverters sleep when the DC input is out of range
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

No. I already explained what was going on. See post 6.
                        I have to agree with you. The external GFI is probably being tripped by the inverter start up procedure to test the circuit for ground faults.

Although even a little moisture can cause a path between ground and a hot lead which will also trigger the CB to open.

Comment

Working...
                        X