X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JackDFW
    • Jul 2017

SolarEdge inverter can't remove cover

Hi all

I am new to forum and have a simple question.

how do you get the cover off the SolarEdge inverter??

My system is 4 yrs old and I have never had any problems. But last week found inverter was off for almost a week. I rebooted the inverter and it came back from the dead. But the LAN stopped working.
    It is hard wired to my router.

I want to remove the cover to test the cable and replace if needed but the cover will not come off.

i removed the 6 bolts and tried to remove but no luck.

i tried prying still will not open.

Is there a trick?

Ihave a service call for Friday but would like to rule out cable. Thanks
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

The gasket can get sticky, but if you pull on the lip, it ought to break free. Once you remove the 6 bolts, there are no other mechanical attachments.

The LAN port seems to give up on the connection after it reaches enough connection failures, and the only way I've found to re-establish communication in that condition is to unplug the cable and plug it back in again. You might be able to do that on the router end and get the same effect, I've always just done it at the inverter because it was more convenient for me to remove the bolts than get access to the router.
    Last edited by sensij; 07-18-2017, 11:46 PM.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• max2k
      • May 2015

Originally posted by sensij
      The gasket can get sticky, but if you pull on the lip, it ought to break free. Once you remove the 6 bolts, there are no other mechanical attachments.

The LAN port seems to give up on the connection after it reaches enough connection failures, and the only way I've found to re-establish communication in that condition is to unplug the cable and plug it back in again. You might be able to do that on the router end and get the same effect, I've always just done it at the inverter because it was more convenient for me to remove the bolts than get access to the router.
      Pulling at the router should have exactly the same effect.

Comment

• JackDFW
        • Jul 2017

More than sticky is the word. Thanks for the answers but the cover is big time stuck. I tried my best but no luck.
        Only a small lip to grab on the bottom.

I will wait for the service guy on Friday.

I have tried to unplug and reboot my router but still shows all 0's and LAN disconnected. I was hoping to unplug and test cable that runs to router.

The day it shut down we had storms in the area maybe a surge or nearby lighting hit took it down. The inverter works now but just no communication.

I lost a weeks production. After 4 years of no problems I got complacent. When I get my monitor up I will check every day!

Comment

• max2k
          • May 2015

Originally posted by JackDFW
          More than sticky is the word. Thanks for the answers but the cover is big time stuck. I tried my best but no luck.
          Only a small lip to grab on the bottom.

I will wait for the service guy on Friday.

I have tried to unplug and reboot my router but still shows all 0's and LAN disconnected. I was hoping to unplug and test cable that runs to router.

The day it shut down we had storms in the area maybe a surge or nearby lighting hit took it down. The inverter works now but just no communication.

I lost a weeks production. After 4 years of no problems I got complacent. When I get my monitor up I will check every day!
          Did you try to plug LAN cable from the inverter to another input on the router if you have one? Did the router 'noticed' connection- many of them would show list of IP addresses they assigned to the clients. Many Ethernet 'receptacles' also have built in LEDs to show activity.

Comment

• JackDFW
            • Jul 2017

Thanks for the sugestion...

My router has a green led at the plug for each cable. When I switched the inverter cable the led that was green was now dark.

That is one reason I wanted to open the inverter cover to unplug the inverter and plug in a laptop to test cable running from my garage to the router.

But the @$#%& cover is stuck....lol

Comment

• max2k
              • May 2015

Originally posted by JackDFW
              Thanks for the sugestion...

My router has a green led at the plug for each cable. When I switched the inverter cable the led that was green was now dark.

That is one reason I wanted to open the inverter cover to unplug the inverter and plug in a laptop to test cable running from my garage to the router.

But the @$#%& cover is stuck....lol
              Sounds like the problem is on the inverter side or somewhere in between. Most likely bad crimp at the connector- if the lightning took it out it would took out the router socket it was connected to as well but that seems to be working fine.

Comment

Working...