Best consumption meter for solaredge inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cebury View Post
    I need to figure out why my last two months have increased consumption by over 500% from last year, or at least start tracking to kmow for future major discrepencies. But I could probably figure it out just by monitoring three circuits: AC (heat wave here has been crazy) the EV, and dryer. Those three I estimate at least 70% of this June & July usage.
    If you have attic fans, check them to make sure they have not seized. I had that issue the first month I moved to the house and the electric bill was astronomical and I had a breaker flipping whenever I plugged in something on that circuit. Ended up that one of the attic fans was seized and the other one was on its last leg. Apparently they only last about 7 years (or so I'm told).
    Last edited by macaddict; 08-04-2017, 10:59 PM.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post
      Ahh, so the SE site doesnt allow for tracking circuit level, just total consumption.
      Correct, it just gives you the total consumption load and it updates the monitoring site every 2-3 seconds. So if you turn on a light, you will see te additional load it puts on the service.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        Cool fact: If you go with larger CT's, you can improve the resolution of the measurement by looping the wire to make 2 (or more) passes through the clamp. I got two loops in on my revenue grade EKM meter, 3 passes, which increased the resolution from 800 pulses / kWh to 2400 pulses / kWh. It may sound like overkill, but for reading 5 min average power, that improves the resolution from +/- 7.5 W to +/- 2.5 W. (An energy meter with 1 Wh resolution can report average power to +/- 6 W)
        Can you post a pic of the looping you are talking about. Is this what you mean? I don't think it is overkill. I have had a Neurio installed in my main panel since thy first came out and it reads more precise than the SolarEdge Modbus meter. If by looping around my 200 amp clamps i can get better resolution than i will be a happy man.

The Neurio is an awesome device as it has helped me track down the energy consumers, phantom loads, etc. Heck if i turn on a led light bulb it instantly registers on the phone app letting me know the increased watts i am consuming

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...ansformer.html
        Last edited by TundraLu; 12-18-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macaddict View Post

If you have attic fans, check them to make sure they have not seized. I had that issue the first month I moved to the house and the electric bill was astronomical and I had a breaker flipping whenever I plugged in something on that circuit. Ended up that one of the attic fans was seized and the other one was on its last leg. Apparently they only last about 7 years (or so I'm told).
          Count your blessing, that that attic fan seizing could have turned into a fire. Dodged a bullet by being somewhat attentive on your consumption.

Comment

Hello All,
            I know this is an older thread and probably rehashed elsewhere, so I apologize if this is not the right thread. I am new to the forum and new to the solar family (just had my system turned on this past weekend). I have a 6.6kW (DC) system using 20 Panasonic 330W panels and P400 optimizers with a Solaredge SE5000H inverter. As everyone points out, consumption and net usage is not monitored unless you add a modbus meter and my solar company is saying they can add a Solaredge option for $450. But I also see here that there is a Wattnode option with CT clamps for anywhere from $25-$50 on Ebay and elsewhere. Are these really the same type of solutions that do the same thing? Is it easy enough to install the modbus (whichever one I choose) yourself, or better to call an electrician (and what can I expect install costs to be)? I'm having trouble understanding how best to get consumption metering installed on my system so I can track performance against use, without getting hosed. Also, on my first day, I was able to generate 39kWh from this system (I live in Los Angeles with an ideal roof orientation for Solar). Does this sound reasonable for an 82 degrees cloudless day based on my system size? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCK View Post
              Hello All,
              I know this is an older thread and probably rehashed elsewhere, so I apologize if this is not the right thread. I am new to the forum and new to the solar family (just had my system turned on this past weekend). I have a 6.6kW (DC) system using 20 Panasonic 330W panels and P400 optimizers with a Solaredge SE5000H inverter. As everyone points out, consumption and net usage is not monitored unless you add a modbus meter and my solar company is saying they can add a Solaredge option for $450. But I also see here that there is a Wattnode option with CT clamps for anywhere from $25-$50 on Ebay and elsewhere. Are these really the same type of solutions that do the same thing? Is it easy enough to install the modbus (whichever one I choose) yourself, or better to call an electrician (and what can I expect install costs to be)? I'm having trouble understanding how best to get consumption metering installed on my system so I can track performance against use, without getting hosed. Also, on my first day, I was able to generate 39kWh from this system (I live in Los Angeles with an ideal roof orientation for Solar). Does this sound reasonable for an 82 degrees cloudless day based on my system size? Thank you!
              Wattnode makes the meter for SolarEdge. They make many many different units though, and only a few will work properly with the inverter you have.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Hello All,
                Congrats on your system!

Take a look at this thread. I also purchased my Wattnode modbus meter from ebay for $25. It is working great. In this post I added installation manuals and pictures of my setup. Feel free to ping me if you have questions:
                https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

Comment

Also, on my first day, I was able to generate 39kWh from this system (I live in Los Angeles with an ideal roof orientation for Solar). Does this sound reasonable for an 82 degrees cloudless day based on my system size? Thank you!
                  We have nearly identical systems. I have a 6.615kW system w/ 21 Panasonic 315W panels, P400 optimizers, and an SE6000H inverter, and I live right at the Eastern border of LA County. You will likely be seeing clipping with the SE5000H inverter on these clear days, esp. during the cooler Spring days. Here's my production graph for 5/27 and 5/28:

May 27.PNG

May 28.PNG

There were morning clouds on 5/27 so lower production in the morning. 5/28 is a bit more representative of a clear day. In April when it was cooler I had production in the 47-48 kWh range, with a couple hours of clipping at 6kW during peak sun. With the SE5000H inverter, you'll likely be seeing a 'Devil's Tower' production graph as the production clips at 5kW. Depending on how bad the clipping looks, it may be something to raise with the installer about the possibility of switching to the 6kW model inverter.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of the install? I'm looking at which wires are tapped. Basically it seems like the CT goes on the mains coming from the power company, but the tapped wires are they they basic breakers from each line?

Comment

Originally posted by flynhawaiian View Post
                      Does anyone have a picture of the install? I'm looking at which wires are tapped. Basically it seems like the CT goes on the mains coming from the power company, but the tapped wires are they they basic breakers from each line?
                      Take a look at this thread. It has the pictures of my install:
                      https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

Comment

Awesome. Also when you do the pvoutput thing what meters are you using to connect up to it? Can you just use the Solaredge server data?

Comment

Originally posted by flynhawaiian View Post
                          Awesome. Also when you do the pvoutput thing what meters are you using to connect up to it? Can you just use the Solaredge server data?
                          Yes, I just pulled all my data from Solaredge's API.

Comment

This is going to be fun. I wonder if I have to connect the ct to the feed from the power company or use dual ct for each phase. How in the heck?
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a question about where the line feed to the wattnode connects. Can it be in a sub panel, or must it be in the main panel to measure correctly?

Answer: yes, the power for the meter can be on a breaker in a sub panel according to ctlsys support. Will post a picture when it
                              Last edited by Cwc303; 10-20-2018, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwc303 View Post
                                I have a question about where the line feed to the wattnode connects. Can it be in a sub panel, or must it be in the main panel to measure correctly?

Answer: yes, the power for the meter can be on a breaker in a sub panel according to ctlsys support. Will post a picture when it
                                The CTs measure the current passing through them and then that is sent to the Wattnode and then to the Solaredge inverter to calculate the difference between production and consumption. I would think that it needs to be at the main panel, otherwise the CTs will only measure the power passing through the subpanel...

Comment

Working...
                                X