Has anyone installed SolarEdge SE-MTR240-2-200-S1 StorEdge Consumption Meter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • astroprojector
    • Aug 2016

Has anyone installed SolarEdge SE-MTR240-2-200-S1 StorEdge Consumption Meter

I am thinking of installing SE-MTR240-2-200-S1 StorEdge Consumption Meter. I am not an electrician and not sure if can install it my self.

Please answer if you can.

1. Does anyone have/has any experience with this module?
    2. How difficult it is to install it?
    3. Can any electrician install it or do I need to get professional solar installer?

Thank you
  • Six4KilowWatt
    • Feb 2017

You don't need it. If you have a digital meter already, you can do basic calculations to get a good idea of what is going on.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2016

This works with SolarEdge and what I used. But I paid $27.50, lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONTINEN...-/192202863015

And I bought from the same seller.
      8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• Raul
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

It's simple . You need power to it, (via a fuse); a AC sensor clamped on incoming mains and a 3 wire data from module to inverter.
        Any Elecrician should be able to install it

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

I just had one installed with my new system. But my SE monitoring is not fully configured yet, so I've not really be able to check on it other than looking at the values on the inverter LCD. Interesting, the electrician sub my solar installer hired for the AC side didn't install the consumption monitor -- only the AC breaker to supply power to it -- which was wrong -- needed to be replaced with a 2-pole. Anyway my solar installer did the rest -- mounting, clamp on current monitors, wiring, mounting the box, comm wiring, inverter conifg, etc. It took him about 4 hours (which seemed longer than necessary) but he was on the phone with SE troubleshooting the incorrect AC breaker. $700 for parts and installation. The physical install, as Raul mentioned, is very straightforward. I'm not sure what was necessary to configure it in the inverter software. Lots of different companies make clamp on consumption monitors -- some less expensive, some more.

Comment

• JSchnee21
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2017

On a related topic, is there a 3rd party home energy monitoring solution people prefer? Sense, Curb, Ted, etc? Curb looks good, but I cannot fit 30+ CT monitors in my panel box. Sense seems appealing, but I don't know if is "works" Can it really figure out the current signatures of each product and learn them on its own? Does it prompt you, at first, each time something is turned on to ask what it was? I know there's another product I've heard mentioned around this board, but I cannot recall the name of it at the moment.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
              This works with SolarEdge and what I used. But I paid $27.50, lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONTINEN...-/192202863015

And I bought from the same seller.
              That is an amazing price since the package includes the split CT's. Hopefully the electronics are not low quality and provide false readings. You need to check the Control box data with a second meter to confirm how accurate it is.

Comment

• Jayc5627
                • Feb 2017

i also have a quick question regarding consumption meter. I also have one installed on my 11.2kW system this month. the warranty for it is 5 years and i have 25 years of warranty for my inverter. my question is if the consumption meter fails 5 years later, can I just purchase one and replacing the existing one without shutting down the system? or i would need to get the installer to replace it. thanks

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

That is an amazing price since the package includes the split CT's. Hopefully the electronics are not low quality and provide false readings. You need to check the Control box data with a second meter to confirm how accurate it is.
                  Mine has been installed and working since my "go live" (PTO) of April 24th. Per my discussions with the manufacturer (when I mistakenly thought I needed larger amp rated CT's, these are 100 amp CT but since there are two of them they are designed for use in up to a 200 amp panel) this is the "older" style and they are not as accurate as their current CT's. But since these were going on the feeds to a subpanel and not the main panel, they were going to be missing some consumption anyway.

When I compare in my spreadsheet the net generate minus consumption as seen by SE, I'm off about 2 kWh per day. But since there's a garage freezer (i.e a hotter unconditioned area) and some other outside lighting that's on breakers at the main panel, the 2 kWh missed seems about right.

The seller has been selling these for over six months now -- if I recall these were picked up from a bankrupt SunPower installer as the box I received actually was labeled with a SunPower consumption meter kit label. I believe SE also rebadges and resells these in their consumption kits.

It did take my installer about two hours to get this provisioned correctly in the SE -- most of this time was on hold waiting for SE installers support line. My installer asked for the link (when I told him what I paid) and he said he was perhaps going to order several for himself.
                  8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Working...