Can you stack hybrid inverters in a large PV system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by TheMechE
    What is to stop some of the energy from leaking out of the batteries and flowing unneeded into the inverter though (and then the batteries getting recharged from the output of the solar panel)? Wouldn't that be an efficiency loss and bad for the batteries? Here's an image of what I mean. I know the NET flow to the batteries is zero in this case, but couldn't there still be flow to and from the batteries?
    NOPE. What is stopping that is the voltage level of the CC is higher than that of the battery and the battery has resistance.
    Physics is stopping it from happening, particularly Ohms law.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• TheMechE
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

NOPE. What is stopping that is the voltage level of the CC is higher than that of the battery and the battery has resistance.
      Physics is stopping it from happening, particularly Ohms law.
      Oh, awesome, so the DC busbar voltage is always higher than the voltage of the batteries. I guess that makes sense because it would be impossible to charge them otherwise. Thanks

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Oh, awesome, so the DC busbar voltage is always higher than the voltage of the batteries. I guess that makes sense because it would be impossible to charge them otherwise.
        Not always, only when charging. at night when solar is not producing and you are not charging from an AC source, the DC bus is at battery voltage.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Oh, awesome, so the DC busbar voltage is always higher than the voltage of the batteries. I guess that makes sense because it would be impossible to charge them otherwise. Thanks
          Not quite right. When the PV is not producing any energy and the grid is also down there is nothing to keep the bus voltage above the (resting) battery voltage. Instead the battery would be drained to supply the inverter to keep the backup load going until sunrise, grid restoration, generator startup or some other event.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...