12v solar system reveiw and advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
    Better inverters run the fan only when needed. Running the fan full time results in rapid dust buildup on the heat exchanger surfaces, leading to early failure.
    So can you suggest a "better inverter" My cabin is "Very small" and i am not sure I can live with a fa going full time. I guess i can mount the inverter outside to reduce noise.
    i am looking at 1000 w pure sine inverters.

Comment

Originally posted by baddancer View Post
      So can you suggest a "better inverter" My cabin is "Very small" and i am not sure I can live with a fa going full time. I guess i can mount the inverter outside to reduce noise. i am looking at 1000 w pure sine inverters.
      I have had good luck with the Prosine line of inverters. They make a 1000 and 1800 watt "pure inverter" and some larger inverter/chargers at 12V.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
        I have had good luck with the Prosine line of inverters. They make a 1000 and 1800 watt "pure inverter" and some larger inverter/chargers at 12V.
        Wow !!! Those are not cheap. Get what you pay for I guess. I was looking at a 1000w
        Cotek and please don't laugh but I have heard OK reviews from the Canadian tire 1000w pure sine. All with $300 range.

Comment

Originally posted by baddancer View Post
          Wow !!! Those are not cheap. Get what you pay for I guess. I was looking at a 1000w
          Cotek and please don't laugh but I have heard OK reviews from the Canadian tire 1000w pure sine. All with $300 range.
          Of course it has good ratings, the users are Knuckle Heads and Grease Monkeys. Any Inverter works good in a Truck using the Alternator as a source of power. No battery needed. Who cares if it is efficient or hard on a battery if you are a Grease Monkey or Knuckle Head.

With Solar it makes a huge difference. You need to stick with quality if you expect performance and need it to work. Stick with Samlex SSW series, Xantrex ProSine, or Exeltech XP. Or you can stick a Cotek up your... if you like it.

Also note it takes a big battery to run a monster Inverter like a 1000 watt unit. At 12 volt battery, you had better have at least a 600 AH, 300 pound battery with a 750 to 1000 watt Solar panel system.

Hint Inverter size should be roughly no larger than panel wattage. You should looking at a 300 to 500 watt Inverter with a 12 volt 250 AH 150 pound battery.
          Last edited by Sunking; 06-19-2017, 04:16 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Update. SO I have installed my 2x 100 panels and 1x 50w panel. 3 total. I have them in parralel to a combiner box with fuse/breakers from midnight solar.
            All working good and running down to my ****ty 30 amp pmw charge controller. hooked up to my 2000 w Kisae inverter, Whenever I get to my cabin, the batteries are full charge
            of 13.6 volts. I turn on the inverter and fridge and all works well. The batteries maintain a charge of about 12.4-12.8 all day and night with the fridge cycling on and off. Just spent 3 days under cloud and rain and some ambient light/sun and never went below 12.3 volts.
            So my panles in full sun only give my a max of about 7 amps this winter and early spring. My sun window is only about 2-3 hours.
            So all in all, not ideal but seams to be working. I am thinking of running it this summer to see how things go.
            I just built a shed with better roof space and more sun exposure and was thinking of an upgrade. 2x 275w 24v panels to a 50 amp mppt charge contoller into my golf cart batteries with an option to upgrade to a pair of L16s. Anyone have any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Congratulations on the combiner. Now for the additional two modules: Get a good controller such as from MidNite. Anything else beyond Magnum, Morningstar & Outback are less reliable than optimal and usually not a good value long term. "Buy nice, or buy twice"

Comment

Working...
              X