X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dannw1431
    Thanks again for the insight into inverters. I realize now it's not so simple to determine what is best. But is there a moral dilemma with the companies selling these systems, in that they never mention the micro-inverters limit the production of your panels? You may think your buying a higher power panel and you'll produce more power, but the micro-inverter limits what the panels can produce. Its like buying a car with a five speed transmission, and never getting it out of 3rd gear.
    Probably not for them, or maybe, at least, not any more than a vendor has some moral imperative to not sell 280 W micros paired to 250 W panels.

If the disparity, micro to panel caused a significant loss of annual production by, say, pairing a 215 W inverter to a 330 W panel, that might be a different situation that any reputable vendor would likely not do. But still, expecting ethics and moral integrity in business ? Right. I've not yet seen a dollar sign on a moral compass.

To the extent that Caveat Emptor has any validity, if any dilemma exists, it's perhaps one for the user to do a bit of homework and know something of what they are buying, or at least do some vendor homework and stick with reputable and established vendors.

One example of homework: For as much as a 250 W micro would clip and reduce the annual production of, say, a 280 W panel for example, the NPV of the lost bill offset over, say,10-12 years or longer might be less than the NPV of the diff. in installed price between a 250 and 280 W micro, and if close (whatever that means to the person paying the bill), maybe the the 280 W micro chosen. Such decisions are for the buyer to make, perhaps with help, perhaps with self education, or both. Life is a bunch of choices. Some involve risk.

As for the vehicle analogy, some solar knowledge may be helpful before sinking a lot of funds and committing to something of a lifestyle change. A bit like the vehicle buyer being expected to know whether the auto they're buying has an automatic or standard transmission, or 4 or 6 cylinders for example, and the consequences of those choices.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• dannw1431
      • Mar 2017

I read your post several times, to fully understand your point. Possibly I should have done more homework prior to purchasing my PV system. But in the end it seems pairing a 250W micro with a 265W panel seems like a good choice, and any clipping would be somewhat negligible in the long run. Also, I have noticed less clipping now (April) than I did during March 2017. The sun is higher in the sky and my panels are set at 43 degree angle, 180 Azimuth, and at this point the clipping is not happening as much. Thanks for yours and everyone's time in responding and educating me

Comment

• Amy@altE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Enphase has long encouraged a high DC:AC ratio to maximize less than ideal conditions. Here's what they wrote back in 2013. https://enphase.com/en-us/blog/over-...zing-new-ideas . It includes links to the study that compared different ratios.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by dannw1431
          I read your post several times, to fully understand your point. Possibly I should have done more homework prior to purchasing my PV system. But in the end it seems pairing a 250W micro with a 265W panel seems like a good choice, and any clipping would be somewhat negligible in the long run.
          If your inverters are 96% efficient (like mine), they would require over 260W panel DC to deliver 250W. So considering
          your panels will rarely hit 265W, its a near ideal match. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...