X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkyputz
    • Mar 2017

Got 20 175W panels for free...what kind of Grid Tie inverter would be good

Hello...
    I got surprisingly my hands on 20 panels and have now about 3500 Watt panel power lying around...
    Always wanted Solar, but now, the project seems to take momentum...
    But i am totally clueless with these inverter's...and we are looking at a lot of money, so i want to know what others think and recommend...
    Also, does anyone know if i can put that all together and just need to have someone come and look at it + permit from the Utility?!
    Cause i really try to avoid a company to be involved...budget is a problem...

Thanks for thought...
    By the way...location is north New Jersey....
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello darkyputz and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I would first go talk to your city or county inspectors and find out what is required in the way of permits for a grid tie system including how much of the work you can do on the install and how much needs to be done by an electrician or contractor. Then contact your POCO and find out what they require and who they recommend to do the work.

Sometimes finding "free stuff" ends up costing more then you think. Good luck and keep us informed.

Comment

• darkyputz
      • Mar 2017

Hey hello...

Thx for the reply...
      And that is at least a route i can go now...thx for the info...
      Can the POCO (power company i guess) recommend a certain inverter?

Thx so far...will keep you posted...

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Get data sheets for the panels. Then, download and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies " from the net. A few hours spent reading will clear a lot of things up.

Comment

• darkyputz
          • Mar 2017

Thx for the Book "tip"...got a copy right away...did know that asking here would be a good way to get started...
          Besides my off grid 12 volt Chicken coop system i am a noob...
          The Sheet is available:
          Attached Files

Comment

• darkyputz
            • Mar 2017

Also got myself Valentin PV*Sol program...looms little bit overwhelming...hope that was not a bad purchase...

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by darkyputz
              Also got myself Valentin PV*Sol program...looms little bit overwhelming...hope that was not a bad purchase...
              Read the book first. Learn to walk before you try to run. Also, check out something called PVWatts - free, relatively easy to use and about all most folks need. I'd see if I could get my $$ back on the other PV modeling stuff. Just sayin'.

Comment

• darkyputz
                • Mar 2017

OK...software is refunded...but was unable to find the PVWATTS software...there are billions of strange finds out there about it, but nothing that i can put my panels in and it spits out inverter suggestions...
                Does anyone know such a place/calculator?
                The book is good so far, but also more "in general" than to my specifics...which is not a surprise...but would love to know inverter options...

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

OK...software is refunded...but was unable to find the PVWATTS software...there are billions of strange finds out there about it, but nothing that i can put my panels in and it spits out inverter suggestions...
                  try here..........
                  Estimates the energy production and cost of energy of grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) energy systems throughout the world. It allows homeowners, small building owners, installers and manufacturers to easily develop estimates of the performance of potential PV installations
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Hello...
                    I got surprisingly my hands on 20 panels and have now about 3500 Watt panel power lying around...
                    Always wanted Solar, but now, the project seems to take momentum...
                    But i am totally clueless with these inverter's...and we are looking at a lot of money, so i want to know what others think and recommend...
                    Also, does anyone know if i can put that all together and just need to have someone come and look at it + permit from the Utility?!
                    Cause i really try to avoid a company to be involved...budget is a problem...
                    By the way...location is north New Jersey....
                    You haven't stated panel output specs; battery or grid tie types? For many of us the panel cost is only 1/4 of the
                    complete system; you may have a substantial investment ahead. Before making any permanent plans, I would
                    sind a suitable dummy load, and prop up each panel for test on a very sunny day; might find rejects. Bruce Roe

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Grid tie inverter ratings are based on OUTPUT watts, not input. You will be fine with a 3000 watt inverter and your 3500 watts of panels. I would test all of them to verify they all work before any purchasing begins.

Grid tie inverters have a input voltage range you need to stay within. Without going into all details here you need to select a few brands and use their string calculators to see if your panels will work in a single string input or if you have two MPPT string inputs where you can mount the panels in two different orientations. Ie; east/west or two different roof angles. If all the panels are going on the same plane you can combine two strings of 10 panels and use a single MPPT input inverter. Look up SMA (sunny Boy), Fronius and Aurora (power One) for grid tie string inverters SolarEdge for central inverter with optimizers and Enphase for microinverters. Your older, lower wattage panels will most likely fit a central string inverter best as the newer microinverters and optimizers are suited for newer higher wattage panels.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• darkyputz
                        • Mar 2017

Hello again
                        @bcore: specs are in the attached picture of the model sticker...but here the small summary for you:
                        Pmax: 175 W
                        Tolerance -2/+3%
                        Vmmp:35.2 Volt
                        Immp: 4.95 A
                        Voc: 44.2 V
                        Isc: 5.2 A
                        Max Series Fuse Rating: 15 A
                        Max System Volatage 600 V
                        Fire Class C
                        @rest...i already checked them all on full sun and got more or less the values from the backside sticker...
                        The link provided was part of my findings, but the function on that page is not so helpful for me...and i was expecting a software to download...so i will give the link a second look...
                        What is about this jammy?
                        Is this device capable of my project?

I think it would also give me some room for later expansion...cause US homes use some much power...oh lord...coming from germany is a pretty culture shock...

Thx so far

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

The book is good so far, but also more "in general" than to my specifics...which is not a surprise...but would love to know inverter options...
                          I'd read up on what inverters are and how they work. Then, scour the available offerings. Come back here and ask specific questions. You'll get better answers and faster using both methods.

Comment

• darkyputz
                            • Mar 2017

Okok...just found out that my combined voltage will be to much for that inverter on one string...and it only has one...
                            So i learned from talking about it with you that i need a two string one...or with 750 volts max voltage...
                            What a bummer...hoped to come out of that game with a few bucks...on the side...

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

This is why I suggested 2 strings combined into one. 2 strings of 10 in series into a combiner box. What is the voltage window on that inverter. If 350 volts works and it is 3800 watts output you are fine. You need to verify minimum and maximum voltage of the inverter to find if your panels work within these parameters. Max Voc. will be 442 at STC temperature, coefficient factored in with the lowest temp for your area will give you the absolute max Voc.

Study your copy of Solar Power for Dummies.
                              Last edited by littleharbor; 03-09-2017, 02:23 PM.
                              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...