SMA Secure power supply from Solaredge inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMA Secure power supply from Solaredge inverter

I want solaredge inverter plus optimizer so I can check each panel and avoid shade issues and I want the SMA Secure power supply feature so I can get some emergency power if the grid goes down.

is there anyway to get some juice out of solaredge and use it to run some stuff in the house if the grid goes down?

perhaps put a converter and covert the 240v from solaredge to 120v and plus it in the house?

I believe that SolarEdge is now producing an inverter (HDWave) with the secure power feature similar to the SMA inverters.

Comment

Your best bet might be to use Tigo's sytem with panel level monitoring which can be used with SMA's (or almost anyone's) string inverter. I can't speak for the desirability of Tigo's communication methods though.

You might find some materials out there referencing SolarEdge's optimizers used with third party string inverters, but I think this was a concept they abandoned some time ago. Probably about the time they thought of pitching rapid shutdown to firefighters as a safety issue since that has been an optimizer-inverter coordinated system.

SolarEdge also appears to have abandoned the concept of building their own version of secure power supply into their new HD wave inverters.

Final and costly option might be to add the smallest form of a grid-forming battery system like Sonnen or maybe Tesla if Powerwall 2 becomes real to allow "hardware agnostic AC-coupling". I believe this conceptually works but not sure it does in reality. Not to mention I don't think this is what you are going for with your question.

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post
        Your best bet might be to use Tigo's sytem with panel level monitoring which can be used with SMA's (or almost anyone's) string inverter. I can't speak for the desirability of Tigo's communication methods though.

You might find some materials out there referencing SolarEdge's optimizers used with third party string inverters, but I think this was a concept they abandoned some time ago. Probably about the time they thought of pitching rapid shutdown to firefighters as a safety issue since that has been an optimizer-inverter coordinated system.

SolarEdge also appears to have abandoned the concept of building their own version of secure power supply into their new HD wave inverters.

Final and costly option might be to add the smallest form of a grid-forming battery system like Sonnen or maybe Tesla if Powerwall 2 becomes real to allow "hardware agnostic AC-coupling". I believe this conceptually works but not sure it does in reality. Not to mention I don't think this is what you are going for with your question.
        Are you sure about SolarEdge no longer making the secure power feature?

I just went to their website and the specs for the SE HDWave single phase inverter includes the "self sustaining power outlet" option which can provide up to 1500watts of power if the grid goes down and you have more than that in panel wattage.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Are you sure about SolarEdge no longer making the secure power feature?

I just went to their website and the specs for the SE HDWave single phase inverter includes the "self sustaining power outlet" option which can provide up to 1500watts of power if the grid goes down and you have more than that in panel wattage.
          I'm told it is not in the product that is shipping and won't be. Spec sheet strangely does not reflect the way they went, but documentation has never been SolarEdge's strong suit. You won't find any mention of it in the installation manual. Maybe it is in the hardware and not supported, but I believe it is a no-go.
          Last edited by adoublee; 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I'm told it is not in the product that is shipping and won't be. Spec sheet strangely does not reflect the way they went, but documentation has never over been SolarEdge's strong suit. You won't find any mention of it in the installation manual. Maybe it is in the hardware and not supported, but I believe it is a no-go.
            I am being told (from SolarEdge reps.) that it is an OPTION for the new HDWave inverters and will be available soon. Shortly after the 5kw, 6kw, and 7.6kw version ship.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

I am being told (from SolarEdge reps.) that it is an OPTION for the new HDWave inverters and will be available soon. Shortly after the 5kw, 6kw, and 7.6kw version ship.
              I hope I am indeed wrong, but it can't be bought today and there seems to be confusion about what is happening with it within the SE organization.

Comment

I hope I am indeed wrong, but it can't be bought today and there seems to be confusion about what is happening with it within the SE organization.
                Sounds like more vapor ware to me or just marketing to get people's juices going.

While I support improvements on solar equipment I really wish the manufacturers would not advertise something that is not yet available like the Powerwall when it was first advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Sounds like more vapor ware to me or just marketing to get people's juices going.
                  SolarEdge hasn't done any marketing on the self sustaining power option. It is listed on the spec sheet which also include 3 inverters not yet available as well.

http://solaredge.com/sites/default/f...tasheet-na.pdf

Comment

per my chat online with solaredge: HDwave will have the outlet option soon but no ETA yet
                    they will also have HDwave that will work with the powerwall

now just sit back and figure out a way to stop thinking about this lol

Comment

Originally posted by doctorman View Post
                      per my chat online with solaredge: HDwave will have the outlet option soon but no ETA yet
                      they will also have HDwave that will work with the powerwall
                      The AC or DC powerwall?

Originally posted by doctorman View Post
                      now just sit back and figure out a way to stop thinking about this lol
                      Dohhh...

Comment

The AC or DC powerwall?
                        DC just like the existing StorEdge

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

any update on HDwave release date?

Comment

A distributor I've been talking to says maybe mid-q2, after slipping from march. The lower power models are already available.
                            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
                              A distributor I've been talking to says maybe mid-q2, after slipping from march. The lower power models are already available.
                              We already have several installs of the SE3000h and SE3800H

Comment

Working...
                              X