SMA Grid - Tie inverter with Secure Power ??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoublee
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ButchDeal

If the SPS would have saved their basement then a $100 inverter connected to the car battery would have saved them too.
    Can't admit that someone might not want vehicle running several hours a day with an extension cord to the basement?

Inverter can be installed indoors.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by littleharbor
      The latest generation of SMA GTI's are surprisingly inexpensive. I don't see where this would be a "costly" choice even if you never use it.
      You have to add other things to the cost like rapid shutdown, combiners, etc. to get comparable to micro or solaredge install cost and then there is the difference in production from module missmatch and/or shadowing.

Plus you get SMA quality as well.
      possibly though that would be a different discussion, from choosing SMA just for a marketing feature.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

If the SPS would have saved their basement then a $100 inverter connected to the car battery would have saved them too.
        Or a $200 generator - and it would provide power at night. Still nice to have the $10 option.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by adoublee

Can't admit that someone might not want vehicle running several hours a day with an extension cord to the basement?

Inverter can be installed indoors.
          You stated that SPS could have saved basements after Sandy. I find that hard to believe as the storm after dark around 8:00 and weather was not good the next day.
          The National Geographic Society is a global nonprofit organization that uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world. Since 1888, National Geographic has pushed the boundaries of exploration, investing in bold people and transformative ideas, providing more than 15,000 grants for work across all seven continents, reaching 3 million students each year through education offerings, and engaging audiences around the globe through signature experiences, stories and content. To learn more, visit www.nationalgeographic.org or follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook.

If the water could be pumped out then a car could be running to power the pump right through the storm, all night. (if the house is in an area where the car would be flooded out then the SPS would be flooded).
          With the SPS you would have to wait almost 36 hours for enough light to do anything.

With a bymodal, now you could pump till the batteries die all night and again when light hits.

The point is that SPS is not a backup solution, it is not reliable and of very limited capabilities.
          If you want backup, get a bimodal solution.
          SPS is just a marketing gimmick with limited practical functionality.

Comment

• adoublee
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

You stated that SPS could have saved basements after Sandy.
            Wrong.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Wrong.
              Sorry, jflorey2 made the statement.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

The latest generation of SMA GTI's are surprisingly inexpensive. I don't see where this would be a "costly" choice even if you never use it. Plus you get SMA quality as well.
                If you go with SMA for the inverter. What about if your are using a different manufacturer that does not have an SPS option?

All I am saying is that a "secure power source" solution that uses a part of your pv system when the grid is down IMO is not a quality or secure source of power for a long term outage. There are too many ways for the pv panels to be damaged or made unusable by the same problem that cause the grid to go down.

Unless you feel there is going to be an EMP strike and you still need to have power for all of your electronic devices. Then I say go ahead and get the SPS and hopefully you will feel nice and warm and fuzzy that you have headed off the grid power outage.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

That whole idea of an ICE vehicle being a generator for a long term outage is pretty weak for preparedness IMO. One would have to store extra gasoline, open the garage door to exhaust fumes (possibly freezing contents of garage and further cooling the home in a deep winter outage) or keep the running vehicle outside, run extension cables through the garage/house door, etc. Doesn't count as a solution to me.

Buying a generator is cheaper than buying a PV system, buy not cheaper than selecting a PV system with SPS outlet if it was going to be bought anyway. Additionally, fuel issues still apply and everyone will know you are running a genset even if it is paired with a battery for reduced run times. If some battery is needed overnight it could still be charged from the SPS outlet during the day. Food could be kept cold and a furnace fan could be powered (not all at once).

You don't have to agree with the mentality that it could happen, but SPS if already installing a PV system is a much better solution for extended outages than being given credit for.
                  It looks like you have made up your mind and want to go in the direction you have chosen. I do not want to even try to change your mind or decision.

I am just saying an SPS system is not something I would rely on for a power source during a long term grid outage. To each their own decision.

Comment

• Murby
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

So my question is how often does the grid go down in your location when you have a very sunny day to produce power?

For my location, power outages are usually during bad weather or at night. That is why the SMA secure power option would not be something I could really use although other people and locations may get more out of it.
                    We live in the countryside.. when the power goes out, it's usually not fixed for three to five days... and after a major storm, its always nice sunny weather...

Comment

• adoublee
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Murby

We live in the countryside.. when the power goes out, it's usually not fixed for three to five days... and after a major storm, its always nice sunny weather...
                      But there is night when it is dark and solar is intermittent, so there is no way that gimmicky 5-10kWh per day could do you any good after a devastating storm or grid attack. Just go to the store and pump some gas for your car and hit the grocery store for some food on the way home. I mean, how many times has the grocery store ever been empty where you live? /sarcasm

Comment

• Murby
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2017

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated .

Comment

Working...