X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by solarix
    My advice is to avoid this situation by running long wire lengths between the inverter and the grid, and use oversize wire whenever possible.[/I]
    That is somewhat contradictory.
    Unlike voltage drop in conductors to a load, the voltage drop caused by current in the wires adds to the voltage seen by the inverter, making it higher than the grid voltage.
    So what you really need are shorter wires and larger wires to reduce that voltage difference as much as possible.
    But if the grid voltage itself goes higher than the inverter's threshold setting even a zero ohm wire would not be good enough.
    If POCO won't correct it and the inverter manufacturer will not release the setting codes, you could be forced to use a buck/boost transformer to lower the voltage at the inverter.

FWIW, 260/130 on a residential service will burn out incandescent light bulbs pretty fast, so I guess it if fortunate that they are not used much anymore.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
      That is somewhat contradictory.
      Unlike voltage drop in conductors to a load, the voltage drop caused by current in the wires adds to the voltage seen by the inverter, making it higher than the grid voltage.
      So what you really need are shorter wires and larger wires to reduce that voltage difference as much as possible.
      But if the grid voltage itself goes higher than the inverter's threshold setting even a zero ohm wire would not be good enough.
      If POCO won't correct it and the inverter manufacturer will not release the setting codes, you could be forced to use a buck/boost transformer to lower the voltage at the inverter.

FWIW, 260/130 on a residential service will burn out incandescent light bulbs pretty fast, so I guess it if fortunate that they are not used much anymore.
      You should see what high voltage does to a CFL. They have voltage limits that can be exceeded if you are close to the POCO transformer. The POCO sometimes raise the secondary voltage pretty high to satisfy a customer at the end of a very long feeder.

Comment

Working...