Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncleUwe
    • Jun 2016

Solar / Main Grid switch

I have an array to run small appliances and would like to run my computer equipment with solar power.
    However, when my deep cycle battery discharges I would like the system to switch over to main grid power.
    Is there equipment to accomplish that?
    Thanks.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello UncleUwe and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

So to clarify, you are running your computer and small appliances on a solar/battery system and then want to switch over to the grid when the batteries run low?

Did you know that unless your POCO is charging you about $1.50/kWh it is costing you more money to run off the battery system then just using the grid?

If that is the case then a simple solution would be to unplug your computer and appliances from the (I presume inverter) which is connected to the batteries and then plug them into a receptacle that is wired to the grid power.

If you are looking for something along the lines of being totally automatic I am sure someone makes a very expensive automatic transfer switch which will disconnect your loads from the battery system and connect them to the grid power but IMO it is probably not worth the money that you can easily do yourself.

Comment

Working...