Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

> Do you see AGM anywhere on the case ? Look it up . Its a sealed Lead Acid Battery excessively sulphated and boiled dry.
    > Check before you rant

No rant, just the truth. It is an agm. Charge it right, and you won't sulfate or boil dry, but merely use it until it's normal rated end of life.

> The example is meant to illustrate what happens when people covercharge such batteries .

The solution is to stop doing that. Kind of like the joke about the doctor telling the guy who complains that it hurts when he pees to simply stop doing that.

> That said Remco is a chinese company making a lot of AGM batteries ,in fact most of their range . This one is however not AGM.

Sorry but it is. The specs on the case identify it, without having to specifically spell it out. It is not a gel either. See the white absorbed glass matt between the closely spaced plates? That isn't sulfate, but the mat itself. Kind of shiny though now that you've oversaturated it with water.

> AGM is sulphuric acid impregnated into glass matting to hold it between the plates. It still boils off during overcharge and adding water and a little acid will not harm them further .
    > The matting and paste absorbe some of the electrolyte again and often start working again but the sulphation has caused irrepairable damage.

Stop overcharging them. Stop undercharging them. And at this point, cutting the tops off and refilling is NOT what it is designed to do, so stop playing with trash, get a new one, and treat it properly.

The lingo used is to bring a bit of humor to YOUR rant about sealed vrla batteries, countering it by a bit of education on just treating them right, as the specs on most of the casings clearly show.

In the end, I think you are confusing the so-called "maintenance free" sealed FLOODED batteries, with those of an agm. In that case of a sealed MF battery you have 3 choices:

1) Don't buy it in the first place.
    2) Wait for the warranty to expire, pop the tops, and refill with distilled water as needed.
    3) IMMEDIATELY void the warranty, pop the top, and refill with distilled water as needed.

But don't do this to an agm since it is not worth the trouble. Start over fresh and simply just treat them as designed.
    Last edited by PNjunction; 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep , Just what I would expect a dealer to say . That white stuff on an AGM is a covering of wool/cotton like material that supposedly holds the electrolyte in place when tipped . It doesn't of course. Scrape that back to see the real glass mat or best cut up the case as I do by taking the top and teminals off in one one inch slice with hydraulic serated jaws and then tip out the cells . Look closely at the various lead sulphates , sulphides and phosphates on the base of the case and separate a plate or two to get a good look at the Glass matt and the sulphation between the dissimilar lead plates . Then you might learn a bit more and graduate to student level in this.

The pictures I gave you are white lead sulphate powder that you can lift out and test . It has expanded out of the plates and forced its way out everywhere. I've told you its not an AGM battery but you assume you know better even though you are in a completely differnt country to me ? C'mon wake up Man.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNjunction
    > Do you see AGM anywhere on the case ? Look it up . Its a sealed Lead Acid Battery excessively sulphated and boiled dry.
    > Check before you rant

No rant, just the truth. It is an agm. Charge it right, and you won't sulfate or boil dry, but merely use it until it's normal rated end of life.

> The example is meant to illustrate what happens when people covercharge such batteries .

The solution is to stop doing that. Kind of like the joke about the doctor telling the guy who complains that it hurts when he pees to simply stop doing that.

> That said Remco is a chinese company making a lot of AGM batteries ,in fact most of their range . This one is however not AGM.

Sorry but it is. The specs on the case identify it, without having to specifically spell it out. It is not a gel either. See the white absorbed glass matt between the closely spaced plates? That isn't sulfate, but the mat itself. Kind of shiny though now that you've oversaturated it with water.

> AGM is sulphuric acid impregnated into glass matting to hold it between the plates. It still boils off during overcharge and adding water and a little acid will not harm them further .
    > The matting and paste absorbe some of the electrolyte again and often start working again but the sulphation has caused irrepairable damage.

Stop overcharging them. Stop undercharging them. And at this point, cutting the tops off and refilling is NOT what it is designed to do, so stop playing with trash, get a new one, and treat it properly.

The lingo used is to bring a bit of humor to YOUR rant about sealed vrla batteries, countering it by a bit of education on just treating them right, as the specs on most of the casings clearly show.

In the end, I think you are confusing the so-called "maintenance free" sealed FLOODED batteries, with those of an agm. In that case of a sealed MF battery you have 3 choices:

1) Don't buy it in the first place.
    2) Wait for the warranty to expire, pop the tops, and refill with distilled water as needed.
    3) IMMEDIATELY void the warranty, pop the top, and refill with distilled water as needed.

But don't do this to an agm since it is not worth the trouble. Start over fresh and simply just treat them as designed.
    You forgot to add not to bother holding his breath waiting for an apology from SK.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Like I said Tytower, you do not know much about batteries and proved it with your ignorance. PN and myself have forgotten more about batteries than you will ever know.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
        You forgot to add not to bother holding his breath waiting for an apology from SK.
        Apologize for what? Being right and spotting frauds?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
          Apologize for what? Being right and spotting frauds?
          I was being sarcastic since tytower thought you would be apologizing to him.

Comment

Yes I see that you also "adjust" posts to suit your purposes by leaving some bits in and taking others out. Not a good site to be part of at all

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tytower
              Yes I see that you also "adjust" posts to suit your purposes by leaving some bits in and taking others out. Not a good site to be part of at all
              Was that accusation pointed to me or some other person because I don't remember editing anything you posted.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

It's a VRLA battery for standby according to the label, so it's likely GEL and not AGM.

If it had pry off caps, it could have been a maintenance free flooded. but I think that was not the case.

Nevertheless - it's both dangerous and pointless to cut the top half off a battery case, expose the innards and start adding random mixes of water or mild acid
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  It's a VRLA battery for standby according to the label, so it's likely GEL and not AGM.

If it had pry off caps, it could have been a maintenance free flooded. but I think that was not the case.

Nevertheless - it's both dangerous and pointless to cut the top half off a battery case, expose the innards and start adding random mixes of water or mild acid
                  Kind of my point Mike and I agree. It is clearly labeled VRLA which means it must be either Gel or AGM. Maintenance Free is a Marketing gimmick which has no meaning. The sealed FLA batteries you are referring to were strictly 70/80's Auto and Marine batteries which have no purpose in cycle applications and I do not think they make any more of them as the Auto industry has switched to AGM dual purpose batteries. Those batteries were strictly Automotive industry and called SLA batteries at the time, and only SAE society used the term SLA . They have no other purpose than SLI batteries.

Tytower is preaching dangerous activity and does not know what he is talking about. He does not know the difference between VRLA, Gel, AGM, FLA, SLA, SLI or Deep Cycle. He is a dangerous pretender and should be ignored or better yet banned.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 11-30-2016, 05:58 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sun_Bob
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    Sun_Bob

Well were to begin.

Your battery is too small, your panel wattage is too little, your invertor is too big.

Now first you determine what you will be using in watt hours per day.

If it is 200 watts from 6 pm to 12 midnight then it will be 6 hours or 6 x 200 watts = 1200 watt hours.

Your battery will need to be sized for about 4 times that or around 4800 watt hours. At 12volts that comes to about 4800wh / 12 = 400Ah. So that would be either 2 x 6v 400Ah or 3 x 4v 400Ah batteries wired in series. Never wired batteries in parallel. That causes unequal charging and discharging which leads to shortened battery life.

For a 400Ah battery system you will need about 1/10 of that for charging or ~ 40Amps. That calculates to (40Amps x 12volt = 480 watt of solar panels) using a true MPPT CC. Also even though you live in Asia you will never get 9 hours of useful sunlight to charge the battery. Maybe 7 at the equator but never 9.

To keep from wasting that battery you need an inverter that is sized for the battery system. That would be around a 600 watt inverter. If you go bigger you run the chance of over discharging (which I believe you have) your battery.

Hi Sun Eagle,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, appreciate it so much mate.

Would it be possible that the 1500W inverter is discharging or drawing too much current from my battery thus draining it overnight (even on power-saver mode) ?

But isnt it inverter current drawing from the battery is a negligeble factor?

Would it help if i use a smaller size inverter? (But i keep other variable constant such as maintaining the same battery and MPPT CC)

Thanks again.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sun_Bob

Hi Sun Eagle,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, appreciate it so much mate.

Would it be possible that the 1500W inverter is discharging or drawing too much current from my battery thus draining it overnight (even on power-saver mode) ?

But isnt it inverter current drawing from the battery is a negligeble factor?

Would it help if i use a smaller size inverter? (But i keep other variable constant such as maintaining the same battery and MPPT CC)

Thanks again.
                      Some inverters are very efficient and some are not. Go check the specifications. It may show what the "no load" (nothing plug in) watt usage is in a watt value or % of inverter wattage.

As an example if it state 2% then that 1500w x 2% = 30watts. The bigger the inverter the higher the losses and greater chance of draining the battery quicker.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

> But isnt it inverter current drawing from the battery is a negligeble factor?

Not at all. there are many small inverters with higher standby losses, than I have with a large, well engineered inverter. The fine print giveith and takeith away.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...