Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbells
    • May 2016

Mounting panels on a trailer

I have a few solar panels coming and I am having a hard time deciding whether to mount them on the roof of my barn (west facing) or, mount them to a trailer. I have plenty of land so that isn't a problem. Have any of you mounted multiple panels on an anchored trailer? Boat trailers are free or just a few dollars in my area. I could easily put a row of 3x5 panels on an 18 foot trailer. That way I could move it to cut weeds or change the angle. Since my barn roof is west facing and I live at 45 degrees, south facing would be nice. I guess I would just like to see some pics of panels mounted on a utility or boat trailer so I can show them to my wife. I did an image search on google and really didn't come up with much. Thanks for any help!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I see a few issue with panels on a mobile mounting.

One is that the electrical connection would have to be some type of plug and receptacle that allows you to disconnect it so you can move it.

The second would be getting the local authority to bless it so it passes any wind loading requirement through some type of secure anchoring system.

The third issue would be performing any maintenance on that undercarriage of the trailer which may require removal of the panels to get to the framework.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

When you solve all the "boat trailer" issues, you may find you are really building a ground mount system. I have a list of 26
      advantages of a ground mount over a roof mount. Bruce Roe

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Where do I find that please bruce?
    • SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
      When you solve all the "boat trailer" issues, you may find you are really building a ground mount system. I have a list of 26
      advantages of a ground mount over a roof mount. Bruce Roe
      I probably will be tapping into your knowledge maybe late 2017 since I have now purchased 2.5 acres of land and plan on building my retirement home on it.

That will give me plenty of space for a 6 - 8kw ground mount system that will not have any shading issues.

Comment

• bcroe
        bcroe commented
        Editing a comment
        Having no shade is very beneficial; still working on that here. Of course if I wasn't trying to make
        serious power from sunrise to sunset, it would be less of a problem. It may not matter to you, that
        it is a lot easier to keep snow cleared from a ground mount. Bruce Roe

• SunEagle
        SunEagle commented
        Editing a comment
        If I have to worry about keeping the snow cleared from my panels I have bigger issues to worry about. LOL.

But I will have issues with critters trying to nibble at my wires so a fence to protect humans from getting shocked will need to be a little more animal resistive to dear and other native Florida wildlife.
    • bbells
      • May 2016

Thanks! The advantages of the ground mount appear to be slightly higher than a roof mount in my situation. So I am going to go ahead and do the anchored boat trailer mount. I'll build and balance a support on the trailer to hold 6 of my 200 watt 24v panels. I just don't look forward to crawling up on my metal roof, positioning the panels, and drilling holes in it. Whereas, building a mount for the trailer and working on the connections at ground level appear pretty attractive, especially if something goes wrong. The building inspector also says that mounting it this way I would not need a permit - They are very picky about solar in my area since half the people are fighting solar farms and the other half are saying you must be nuts to fight solar farms.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

In reply to tytower, here is my current list of advantages of a ground mount over a roof mount. Bruce Roe

1. Significant Other won't complain about looks.
        2. No leaks
        3. No reroofing problems
        4. No 3' setback rule
        5. No rapid shutdown requirements
        6. Easier snow removal
        7. Easier panel repairs
        8. Elevation angle change option
        9. Much less size limitation
        10. No orientation restriction
        11. Serviceable safely in all seasons
        12. Fire hazard distanced
        13. No roof orientation issue
        14. No roof facility shadowing
        15. Easier to landscape mount
        16. NOT feeling like I have a giant tick on the roof
        17. No hiring a structural engineer to analyze roof loading
        18. No walking on panels to inspect
        19. Far easier to wash off dirt
        20. Much easier to directly ground against lightning
        21. Far easier to check for hot (potentially failing) MC4s
        22. Ease of spot checking performance & tracking down any issue
        23. Much easier to work on at night.
        24. Layout not complicated by things like vents, chimneys, etc.
        25. Backside guards far less likely to be disturbed or inhabited by critters.
        26. Generally cooler operation than roof mount.

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by bbells
          Thanks! The advantages of the ground mount appear to be slightly higher than a roof mount in my situation. So I am going to go ahead and do the anchored boat trailer mount.
          I don't think anyone's discouraging you from doing a ground mount - just discouraging you from using a boat trailer to create that mount.

I'll build and balance a support on the trailer to hold 6 of my 200 watt 24v panels. I just don't look forward to crawling up on my metal roof, positioning the panels, and drilling holes in it.
          If it's standing seam there are clamps that clamp on the seam - so you don't have to drill holes in the roof (I would want to avoid that too)
          I think one commonly used is "S5!"
          But when you have room, going with a ground mount can be a better choice - probably is for you.

The building inspector also says that mounting it this way I would not need a permit -
          Get that in writing.
          Seriously.
          I would expect any permanent connection to the electrical system would require a permit.
          And this would be a permanent connection.

Comment

• bbells
            • May 2016

Since I am mounting my panels on a trailer that is movable, would any particular direction be best in each season? Think of it as on a platform that can twirl. I am at 45 degrees (even with Minneapolis) and it will be a fixed tilt. In the summer the sun is North of my house, in the winter it is way south. It seems almost like I should point my panels Southwest in the winter and Northwest in the summer. East is where the shade is and dew and frost block light from the cells in the AM. It is easy to find info on tilt angle, but not where to point the panels seasonally if you have a movable platform. Does anyone know where I can find data on this? Thanks!

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bbells
              Since I am mounting my panels on a trailer that is movable, would any particular direction be best in each season? Think of it as on a platform that can twirl. I am at 45 degrees (even with Minneapolis) and it will be a fixed tilt. In the summer the sun is North of my house, in the winter it is way south. It seems almost like I should point my panels Southwest in the winter and Northwest in the summer. East is where the shade is and dew and frost block light from the cells in the AM. It is easy to find info on tilt angle, but not where to point the panels seasonally if you have a movable platform. Does anyone know where I can find data on this? Thanks!
              Unless you have a TOU type of rate structure where the cost of electricity is higher in the afternoon the best orientation for your panels would be pointed due South all year round. That will yield the most hours of the day the sun will strike the panels and generate power unless there is shade, clouds, fog, or moisture.

If you can adjust the angle it would be shallower in the summer and steeper in the winter because the sun is higher in the summer and lower in the sky in the winter.
              Last edited by SunEagle; 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• bbells
                • May 2016

Thanks for the confirmation SunEagle. That is what I was trying to tell my wife. But, you know how that goes sometimes....

Comment

• RWHopkins
                  • Jul 2022

Hey bbells, I came across your post and looks like several years ago, but I was also thinking about using a trailer to mount some solar panels...for both mobility and ease of changing direction towards the sun. And as you say used boat trailers are the least expensive. Anyway, wondering how that project turned out if you followed thru with it, and any suggestion about the frame or structure you built on the trailer to mount the panels on, or anything else. ~thanks!

Comment

• bbells
                    • May 2016

I done a couple since then. One had 6 230w 24v panels, the other 4. Both ran 24v inverters. Easy project. I made them so they would fold for travel after a couple supports were removed. I used 2x4s to mount the panels and supports. On the bottom i used 4 4x4s as a base.

Comment

• RWHopkins
                      • Jul 2022

Sounds like what I'd like to do all (ie have where I can fold them when moving). Could you send me some pics to show how you framed it? I am new with setting up solar panels and just now working with them. Not sure if pics can be posted to this site but you can send to my email address if easier (rwhopkins@yahoo.com). Seems to make a lot of sense for especially mobile power to install on a small trailer like that. I am in Louisiana with fortunately (in a solar sense anyway) have access to plenty of sun!

Comment

Working...