Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enphase Envoy

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this is a newbie question but I couldn't find any clear information about the following.
    As I understand it, the Envoy Communicator (oval shaped) and the Envoy-s and Envoy-s metered are all gateways. They do basically the same thing is that correct?
    Also what is the difference between the Envoy-s and the Envoy-s metered version? As far as I know the metered version will show solar consumption but I thought if you use the Enlightened web service from Enphase, doesn't that show you solar produced and used as well?

Thanks everyone!

Here is a link to all the info on the different versions.

https://enphase.com/en-us/products-a...s/envoy/family
    24 Suniva 275 Watt Panels. 24 Enphase M250.

Comment

Hello Plut,

Thank you for your link. I guess I didn't see the link eon the Envoy's website for the link to the Envoy family comparison page. Thank you!

So it looks like the oval shaped Envoy won't work with S280 micro-inverters. I guess that narrows it down for me on which to choose from. Now as for the Envoy-s and Envoy-s metered versions, the only difference I see is consumption monitoring and a more precise production metering for the Envoy-s metered. I assume production metering is basically how much power the panels are producing and any given time and consumption monitoring is how much is going back to PG&E grid?

If this is so, does PG&E use 100% of my solar generated power back into their grid?

Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by genner View Post
        Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this is a newbie question but I couldn't find any clear information about the following.
        As I understand it, the Envoy Communicator (oval shaped) and the Envoy-s and Envoy-s metered are all gateways. They do basically the same thing is that correct?
        Also what is the difference between the Envoy-s and the Envoy-s metered version? As far as I know the metered version will show solar consumption but I thought if you use the Enlightened web service from Enphase, doesn't that show you solar produced and used as well?

Thanks everyone!

The Envoy-S metered CAN show consumption ONLY if you add the optional consumption meter and CTs.
        Other wise it only shows you revenu grade production.

The web service enlighten does not show you consumption or used unless you have the optional consumption meter.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Hello Plut,

Thank you for your link. I guess I didn't see the link eon the Envoy's website for the link to the Envoy family comparison page. Thank you!

So it looks like the oval shaped Envoy won't work with S280 micro-inverters. I guess that narrows it down for me on which to choose from. Now as for the Envoy-s and Envoy-s metered versions, the only difference I see is consumption monitoring and a more precise production metering for the Envoy-s metered. I assume production metering is basically how much power the panels are producing and any given time and consumption monitoring is how much is going back to PG&E grid?

If this is so, does PG&E use 100% of my solar generated power back into their grid?

Thanks again for your input.

consumption is what is being used in the home. What is sent back to PG&E is net generation.
          PG&E does not get 100% of your generated power. you consume some of it in the home at time of generation. Thus PG&E has no idea what you actually consume.
          You don't either unless you get a consumption meter.

Comment

ButchDeal,

Thank you so much for clarify it up for a noob like me For some reason I was under the impression that the solar power generated only goes back to the grid and all it does it reverse what I use from PG&E. Now it makes a bit more sense to me why there is an option for a solar consumption meter.

I do have two more questions......

hypothetically....let's say i have a 3kwh solar system enphase s280 microinverters and envoy-s. During the day the panels are producing power. If I have electronics using less than what is being produced by the panels, does the system know to draw power only from the panel and not from PG&E?

and lastly....

I see that the envoy-c, the oval shaped one, with a LCD readout is not compatible with the s280 microinverters. They are only compatible with the Envoy-s and Envoy-s metered gateways. Are there solutions or other products out there that offer local output readings without having to log to an online service?
            Or even provide panel level monitoring locally via a separate device or logging into the device locally by LAN connection without having to have a WWW connection?

Thank you again everyone!

Comment

hypothetically....let's say i have a 3kwh solar system enphase s280 microinverters and envoy-s. During the day the panels are producing power. If I have electronics using less than what is being produced by the panels, does the system know to draw power only from the panel and not from PG&E?
              First it would be a 3kW system (no H) it would generate kWh over time
              There is no knowing involved for the power flow. It is just ohms law controlling the flow. Your S280s are producing power and the closes consumer is yours so you use the power generated locally, any extra would have to go to the grid.

Are there solutions or other products out there that offer local output readings without having to log to an online service?
              Or even provide panel level monitoring locally via a separate device or logging into the device locally by LAN connection without having to have a WWW connection?

Thank you again everyone!

you can get local generation and consumption by using devices like the TED But it will not do module level monitoring.
              http://www.theenergydetective.com/

Comment

Butchdeal thanks for taking your time to educate me on the subject.

Ok, so when PG&E has a outage during the daylight hours, the panel should be supplying 100% power towards the inside of my home right? To achieve this, does it require special wiring (other than what is normally wired by an electrician to connect a solar system to the PG&E grid) or equipment?

I like the TED product, it provides a quick readout for production readings...something that i wish the ENVOY-s had built in. I assume the readings from the TED to be on par with the local readings from the envoy-s metered with CT's? Are CT's proprietary?

Panel level monitoring then seems to be an online option requiring third party only...sucks. Especially for enphase setups. As i understand it, enphase's enlighten does not provide panel level monitoring for free. You have to pay the one time fee of $249?

Are the data going back and forth between s280 and envoy standard info used by other products?

Comment

Butchdeal thanks for taking your time to educate me on the subject.

Ok, so when PG&E has a outage during the daylight hours, the panel should be supplying 100% power towards the inside of my home right? To achieve this, does it require special wiring (other than what is normally wired by an electrician to connect a solar system to the PG&E grid) or equipment?
                  Sorry to inform you but your enphase micro inverter system will not provide ANY power during a grid outage.
                  There is no way to make it do so.
                  There are people that will say but but but, you can do an AC coupled solution. Well true but then the bimodal inverter that you add, will be providing the power and controlling the enphase inverters.
                  BTW, the enphase battery solution does not provide back up power either.

I like the TED product, it provides a quick readout for production readings...something that i wish the ENVOY-s had built in. I assume the readings from the TED to be on par with the local readings from the envoy-s metered with CT's? Are CT's proprietary?
                  The readings should be close. Neither is revenue grade. CTs are not proprietary but there are many different types.

Panel level monitoring then seems to be an online option requiring third party only...sucks. Especially for enphase setups. As i understand it, enphase's enlighten does not provide panel level monitoring for free. You have to pay the one time fee of $249?
                  yes it is online only but not third party as enphase runs the online system.
                  With solarEdge, solarEdge runs their own online system etc.

Are the data going back and forth between s280 and envoy standard info used by other products?
                  no it is proprietary.

Comment

Whoa...my goodness, I think I may need to consider a different brand setup. Enphase doesn't seem to offer what I am looking for. Aside from different types of technology(power optimizers and microinverters), I am curious as to what Enphase has to offer except for good quality microinverters. Their options seems limited no? If the AC batteries cannot be used during a grid power-outage, what are they for? Just night time power back onto the grid? Does an enphase system just completely shuts down when the grid goes down?

I guess the Tesla Powerwalls will be the same thing as the AC batteries from Enphase?

Comment

Whoa...my goodness, I think I may need to consider a different brand setup. Enphase doesn't seem to offer what I am looking for. Aside from different types of technology(power optimizers and microinverters), I am curious as to what Enphase has to offer except for good quality microinverters. Their options seems limited no? If the AC batteries cannot be used during a grid power-outage, what are they for? Just night time power back onto the grid? Does an enphase system just completely shuts down when the grid goes down?

I guess the Tesla Powerwalls will be the same thing as the AC batteries from Enphase?

enphase battery solution is for load shifting for people with time of use billing. you would charge the batteries from solar or off peak and use the charge during peak hours.

Yes it shuts down during grid outage. They actually try to convince people that they don't want backup capabilities:
                      https://enphase.com/en-us/blog/using...-you-need-know

The Tesla powerwall can be configured for backup if you add components.

If you are looking for backup capabilities then you want a bimodal system.

Comment

ButchDeal, any recommendation or directions on the type of system that will suffice my needs? Brand or equipments? I prefer having an option to perform my own panel level monitoring without Internet requirements if there is no such thing, a readout on the device like the envoy-c displaying what is being produced on a LCD screen will suffice.
                        Offer power during a PG&E outage daylight hours and night time.

You are the man for answering all my questions!

Comment

i was basically set on the Enphase setup until i learned of it's limitations today.....sucks....

I like the SMA sunnyboy series that offers a switchable Outlet that runs directly from solar power....that's something I would like to have.

Comment

so with a bimodal system, it looks like the batteries will need DC output from the panels to charge them up. That means microinverters cannot be used in a bimodal system since they output AC?

I guess that leaves me only with Power Optimizers?

Comment

Working...
                            X